[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Spirits, ghosts, and all things evil - http://www.doomworld.com Forums

Original message

DooMBoy

tallj_2000@yahoo.com

"Spirits, ghosts, and all things evil" , posted Wed 6 Jun 09:25user profileedit/delete messagepost reply

This is not about any blasted weaons or demons. Instead, it's about sound. Sound, you say. Yes, sound. I'm thinking about sound in terms of "hear a sound behind you, turn around-nothing there", sort of sound. Imagine: You're inside a darkened base, and you don't hear anything except for the beeping of the nearby computers. "Beep....Beep...Beep..." You think you hear the sound of boots scuffing on the floor, but when you wheel around-nothing. The lights buzzing incessantly. Your own breathing. You hear a slight noise behind you, but you dismiss it as nothing more than a figment of your over-worked imagination. Then the noise becomes unmistakable-it's the sound of a demons claws scratching across the floor towards you...
I think it'd be really cool to have stuff like in the next Doom game. Sound should play a HUGE role in scaring the tar out of you.

The truth is I only play Doom two times a day-daytime and nighttime!-DooMBoy

Replies:

Jeremy

oranguy@email.com

"Re(1):Spirits, ghosts, and all things evil" , posted Fri 8 Jun 20:35user profileedit/delete messagepost reply

My favorite sound from the old Doom is the sarcastic luagh of the Archvile.

.-=~Webmaster of Doomgalaxy.com and author of the Doom4 MegaWad~=-.

Blynd Syde

Blynd_Syde@hotmail.com

"Re(1):Spirits, ghosts, and all things evil" , posted Wed 6 Jun 12:45user profileedit/delete messagepost reply

I also think sound should play a big role in the next doom game.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Ever Changing Signature:
"That computers 3 months old only suckers buy that computer. Your not a sucker are you?"

Zaldron
Le Ventilateur

avengerz66@hotmail.com

"Re(1):Spirits, ghosts, and all things evil" , posted Wed 6 Jun 09:41user profileedit/delete messagepost reply

Spline based sound entity trajectories. That might mean nothing to you, but I can assure you it's a whole new level of sound engines in games. Devine confirmed those in QuakeCon...

__________________________ _ _ _
"There are three kinds of death in this world. There's heart death there's brain death and there's being off the network."

Linguica
Doomworld webmaster

linguica@doomworld.com

"Re(2):Spirits, ghosts, and all things evil" , posted Wed 6 Jun 12:10user profileedit/delete messagepost reply

Your search - "Spline based sound entity trajectories" - did not match any documents.

Tetzlaff

olo8@gmx.de

"Re(2):spline based..." , posted Wed 6 Jun 09:59user profileedit/delete messagepost reply

What does it do?

Zaldron
Le Ventilateur

avengerz66@hotmail.com

"Re(3):spline based..." , posted Wed 6 Jun 17:39user profileedit/delete messagepost reply

It means id can pull out special entities that emit sound and move across the game world just as you want. The possibilities are endless, linear trajectories, spiral-like, curves across the 3 dimensions, a mix of those. Scripted movement just like in 3D modelling packages. Now imagine the dynamic changes of the sound(s) thanks to EAX or OpenAL...

If someone here played Thief II mission "Casing the joint" knows *EXACTLY* what kind of spooky stuff they can do...

"There are three kinds of death in this world. There's heart death there's brain death and there's being off the network."

Linguica
Doomworld webmaster

linguica@doomworld.com

"Re(4):spline based..." , posted Wed 6 Jun 17:45user profileedit/delete messagepost reply

So basically you make a path for an entity to follow, and the entity emits a sound as it moves along the path. Bah, I was hoping it would be something cooler than that.

Zaldron
Le Ventilateur

avengerz66@hotmail.com

"Re(5):spline based..." , posted Thu 7 Jun 04:20user profileedit/delete messagepost reply

Not really, you make a script-based trajectory. Acceleration, loops, staticness, triggered by player's motion, etc.

Just the same kind of crap you'll be able to do with light entities.

Disorder
WAHH CHANGE MY TITLE

enter@softhome.net

"Re(5):spline based..." , posted Wed 6 Jun 22:12user profileedit/delete messagepost reply

I thought that was actually pretty spooky.

______________________________________ _______ ____ __ _ _ _
||| "...Go ahead and leave. See if I care. (Press Y to quit to dos)" |||

Lord FlatHead

lordflathead@yahoo.com

"Re(1):Spirits, ghosts, and all things evil" , posted Wed 6 Jun 09:34user profileedit/delete messagepost reply

I believe this is exactly how Doom3's sound should (and probably will) be.

--
"Well... I like to think I'm pretty good at what I do." -- John Carmack

http://lordflathead.doomcenter.com

Tetzlaff

olo8@gmx.de

"Re(1):Spirits, ghosts, and all things evil" , posted Wed 6 Jun 09:34user profileedit/delete messagepost reply

You´re right, sound is one of the key features to create a new Doom athmosphere. Even in the old Doom games sound played a very important role. The pneumatic screeching of the doors, the distant and suddenly closer growling of the monsters, the firing noise of the plasma gun, that all was essential to Doom. And, as you describe, there are much more possibilities to enhance the dramatic aspects with a subtle use of sounds in certain situations.

maga

predescu_laurentiu@caramail.com

"Re(2):Spirits, ghosts, and all things evil" , posted Thu 7 Jun 04:00user profileedit/delete messagepost reply

that's why the new doom game will never be "like" the original.
It's the atmosphere, in general, that defines the original, not just monsters, or grafix, or sounds alone....it's the whole that is impressive.

...and the victory shall be aeternal