Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Map Assignments and the such
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:01. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cadman
I'm not supposed to be here...no really

Okay, here are some thoughts...

*With the huge turnout for mappers we need to cut it down to just one map per mapper! If you have attempted to lay claim to more than one map in any earlier posts then I suggest you pick one map and stay with that map. It will open up some slots for people that wish to make a map for this project. Because of the success of the first Community Chest project is the main reason we have such a huge turnout for this one. I just want to give other people an opportunity to make a map for a major project. If for some reason map slots remain open at the end of January 2004 then I will open up those slots so people already with a map can claim another map slot. So, what I'm asking is that everyone pick a map slot again, but only one at this time and post it here under this thread.

*All maps must be Boom compatible! They cannot be ZDoom, JDoom or any other source port specific. Most of today's source ports are Boom compatible, you can use Boom triggers and specials in your maps as well. I should be able to play your map under any source port that is Boom compatible.

*You must have your map or maps completed before release which is Halloween 2004.

*If you wish to use custom textures within your map then you can do so, but it must be part of your pwad. Any textures made by any other party that you decide to use must be given credit where credit is due, whether it's textures made by Ola, TeamTNT or whatever.

*You may use your own music, but no MP3's! And it must be part of your pwad.

*No jumping!

That's it in a nutshell...I post other bits of information as I get it.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I'm a DoomGod! (Yeah, right!!)

Last edited by Cadman on 01-01-04 at 05:07

Old Post 01-01-04 05:00 #
Cadman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Torn
google is your master

I will take map29 then.

Old Post 01-01-04 05:24 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

I'll take any map that isn't taken. MAP24!!!

Last edited by Mr. T on 01-01-04 at 05:52

Old Post 01-01-04 05:45 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Linguica

Old Post 01-01-04 05:47 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

I think CC2 should be a daul megawad. Ie, two megawads for one project. That way we could fit more mappers, and some could get 2 or more maps to do. Just a thought.

Old Post 01-01-04 06:01 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Searcher

I thought we all already agreed this would be the same as last time.

This was how the last one was set up.
Orig textures only, No new skys, god I hate those.
No boom specials or triggers, but boom compatible in as much as it is an unlimited port.
no jumping. no new music.

Boom triggers and specials don't work in all the other ports.

This sounds to me like suddenly there is a major change in the wad specs.

I will release map 24 and just keep map 25 then. Although I am not to thrilled about that.

Sorry the others were not around when the maps were being claimed but its not my fault. How many times have we all been a day late for something cool.

The only guys with multiple maps are all good mappers and will actually finish them and help the project.

This is a major change in specs from the last one. It was a huge hit. I would like to see it done again the same way. Traditional Doom all the way.

My 2 cents.

Old Post 01-01-04 06:12 #
Searcher is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Searcher said:

It is. Just because it's a sequel doesn't mean it has to be a carbon copy of the original. :P

Old Post 01-01-04 06:32 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VolteFace

Last time we had new skies and could use new textures if we really wanted. I don't see a reason to limit ourselves to old tags. New ones are available, and almost everyone uses them - many people can't even *use* original Doom. I doubt anyone will have a problem with using PRBoom or one of the other many Boom-based ports to play it.

And the idea behind this WAD is to allow people of all skill levels to participate - it's not about producing a super high quality package (although that is the aim, of course).

Old Post 01-01-04 06:33 #
VolteFace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Liam
the Bard formerly known as the Bard

i'll stay where i am at map13

Old Post 01-01-04 08:10 #
Liam is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Optiks
Green Marine

I don't want to step on anyone's toes so I won't shout out a map number but I'd like to participate and would like a lower map number if possible. Thanks.

Old Post 01-01-04 08:11 #
Optiks is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

map31.. reclaimed

Old Post 01-01-04 08:14 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cyb

map30 still

Old Post 01-01-04 08:53 #
Cyb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Skunkboy Kyle

EDIT: By the way, I'm still doing MAP06
Okay, wait, here are some of the things I'm using in my map...
1. New textures.
2. New sounds, hopefully. I want a certain switch when you hit it to announce what you just did so no one gets confused.
3. Bridges.
4. Keens, but the graphics are going to be changed. But shhhh, it's a secret of the map.
5. New music.

How much of this is going ot be allowed?

Don't rescue me. I don't want to be. Let you and me be out of control. Just because I can't sleep at night. Just because I hear your voice. Just because I see your face. Just because I want you. You! You're the one! Turn me inside out! You! You're the one!Make me scream and shout! You! You're the one! Be around only me! You! You're the one! Don't rescue me!
- Devo, Don't Rescue Me

Old Post 01-01-04 08:57 #
Skunkboy Kyle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VolteFace

For the love of god, no new sounds or sprites! And having a switch talk to you? Wtf? That would be pretty retarded.

[edit: oh, and yeah, I'm sticking with MAP10]

Old Post 01-01-04 09:13 #
VolteFace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Draconio
Ack! Ack! Ack!

I'll stay with Map 32 unless told otherwise.

Old Post 01-01-04 09:32 #
Draconio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kaiser
Doom64 Guru

I'll take Map18

but I'll still take the other two slots if no one is willing to do them.

Old Post 01-01-04 09:43 #
Kaiser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Skunkboy Kyle

Never mind, I got it figured out, I just hope the player is smart enough to know what he's looking at. So, no new sounds, but there will be new sprites. It's for one of the levels big secrets, a BFG stocked with full ammo, backpack, and Megasphere. You just have to realise to shoot the guys down to get to 'em.

Don't rescue me. I don't want to be. Let you and me be out of control. Just because I can't sleep at night. Just because I hear your voice. Just because I see your face. Just because I want you. You! You're the one! Turn me inside out! You! You're the one!Make me scream and shout! You! You're the one! Be around only me! You! You're the one! Don't rescue me!
- Devo, Don't Rescue Me

Old Post 01-01-04 09:52 #
Skunkboy Kyle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Amaster
Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair

Still map08.

Im also worried about the boom thing, since not all ports support all boom features. Though I cant recall what's not supported.

Old Post 01-01-04 10:00 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hirogen2

map19 :-)

Assmaster: well... bad luck for those ports then. :-/
Then again you could just use prboom.

Old Post 01-01-04 11:09 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hirogen2

Well if more than 32 unique mappers want to contribute to CC2, why not make 2x32 (or maybe just 30+32) levels, MAP60 being "The Icon of Sin"?

Old Post 01-01-04 11:22 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

I think CC2 should be a daul megawad. Ie, two megawads for one project. That way we could fit more mappers, and some could get 2 or more maps to do. Just a thought.
I have a feeling that could be biting off more than we can chew. There are people who could submit the amount of quality work necessary to perpetuate such a project, but keep in mind people will already drop out of the first megawad.

We could always make a CC3 after CC2 is finished. There's no need to build up something so grand that it might not get done.

Searcher said:
I thought we all already agreed this would be the same as last time.

This was how the last one was set up.
Orig textures only, No new skys, god I hate those.
No boom specials or triggers, but boom compatible in as much as it is an unlimited port.
no jumping. no new music.

Uhh, I'm pretty sure the first CC had new skies and I know for a fact it allowed new music because I had a new tune in my map. The first one didn't allow jumping or boom specials/triggers, and neither will this one.

The specs are pretty much the same, except it seems this time we can use custom textures which I don't agree with either, except in the case of Doom textures that aren't found in Doom 2.

I will release map 24 and just keep map 25 then. Although I am not to thrilled about that.

Sorry the others were not around when the maps were being claimed but its not my fault. How many times have we all been a day late for something cool.

The only guys with multiple maps are all good mappers and will actually finish them and help the project.

I think it's fair that we let everyone who wants to participate have a chance. It's not like they're coming in three months later and wanting a map, they came within two days of the projects announcement, that's certainly a fair amount of time.

And remember, people will probably drop out, meaning you might be able to put multiple maps into this project. And if you've got so many ideas for maps, just release them on your own (which you have been doing pretty steadily with your Blind Alley series =) ). I don't see the need to have more than one map in this one project.

1. New textures.
2. New sounds, hopefully. I want a certain switch when you hit it to announce what you just did so no one gets confused.
3. Bridges.
4. Keens, but the graphics are going to be changed. But shhhh, it's a secret of the map.
5. New music.

I'm not in charge of the project by any means, but from what I can gather...

1. According to Cadman, it seems new textures will be allowed as long as they don't replace any existing ones, although I'm kind of confused about that because in the first one no new textures were supposed to have been used. I'd hold off until Cadman confirms that.

2. No new sounds

3. Bridges should be okay, but ONLY if they do NOT use anything that needs a specific source port to work, i.e. Legacy's 3d floors. Using the dummy sector trick should be fine though, I know Ultimate Doomer used quite a few of them in his Map 20 of the first CC.

4. New sprites should not be used because it means they have to be changed throughout the entire game, not just in your level. And I don't think you should be using keens anyway, seeing as how you have map 06. I was under the impression that map32 would be the only one with keen privileges, but again, you'd have to ask Cadman about that one to be sure.

5. New music is okay, as long as it's not MP3.

BTW, if we have to confirm our map slots, I'm still on for Map 04.

Last edited by Kid Airbag on 01-01-04 at 11:52

Old Post 01-01-04 11:42 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Searcher said:
Boom triggers and specials don't work in all the other ports.

Boom has been a quasi-standard for many years. All ports not supporting it fail it.

Searcher said:

You can't be more egoistical, can you? Would you say the same if you had been late or if someone claimed map01-map32? And no, it is the same.

Old Post 01-01-04 12:04 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hirogen2

Kid Airbag said:
We could always make a CC3 after CC2 is finished. There's no need to build up something so grand that it might not get done.

So a 2nd limitation could be instituted -- mappers that already did something in CC1 are put back.

For the dual megawad thingie: If everyone says yes to a Dual Megawad but at the same time states we cannot reach 62(64) levels, why not agree upon "2 WADs, which in total produce XX maps", like a WAD from map01-map30 and one from map01 to say map10?

1. According to Cadman, it seems new textures will be allowed as long as they don't replace any existing ones, although I'm kind of confused about that because in the first one no new textures were supposed to have been used. I'd hold off until Cadman confirms that.

Question to Cadman: If new textures were not allowed, is recoloring a Doom[1/2]-Texture considered a new texture? Like making a BROWN1-like STONE2 wall?

5. New music is okay, as long as it's not MP3.

Ogg Vorbis then?

Old Post 01-01-04 12:14 #
Ralphis
IDL Founder

give me any open maps in the below 10.

Last edited by Ralphis on 01-01-04 at 12:39

Old Post 01-01-04 12:19 #
Ralphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Can I switch to Map 15 if it's not already been re-taken?

(I have a cool idea for the secret exit, in fact the layout/setup I have for my map is ideal for this slot)

Skunkboy Kyle said:
1. New textures.
3. Bridges.
5. New music.

1. Yes.

2. No, as the sounds affect all maps.

3. Yes, but using the vanilla mech only. (no ZDoom bridge things)

4. Yes, but no new graphics, as the Keens may appear in other maps. (they can be very useful with a tag 666 remote door)

5. Yes.

Last edited by The Ultimate DooMer on 01-01-04 at 14:30

Old Post 01-01-04 14:19 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

As a player I find it a real turn off if a wad's only new resources are it's levels. After all, the stock Doom (2) textures and music have been around for nearly a decade now, and I'm sure many people have gotten pretty darned bored of them by now. Personally I simply can't stand to hear D_RUNNIN anymore :)

As a level designer (not that I'm contributing to CC2, I've got too much on my plate already), not having access to any new textures or flats is a definite no-no for me. Put me down for CC3 though ;)

So yes, IMHO new textures and flats should not only be allowed but actually encouraged. Of course they should look/sound as Doomish as possible so as not to stand out too much.

Hirogen2 said:
Ogg Vorbis then?
Boom only supports MIDI and MUS, so I'm not sure why Cadman's putting so much emphasis on no MP3s when you wouldn't be able to use them anyway :)

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 01-01-04 14:19 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RjY
anARCHy

I would still like to do MAP05, if that's okay with everyone

thanks

Old Post 01-01-04 14:34 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Assmaster said:
Still map08.

Im also worried about the boom thing, since not all ports support all boom features. Though I cant recall what's not supported.

AFAIK Boom, prBoom, ZDoom and Eternity have full Boom support. Not sure about Legacy though.

BTW, I think all the slots are taken again now. (according to the unofficial list I've drawn up in the map names thread)

Last edited by The Ultimate DooMer on 01-01-04 at 15:01

Old Post 01-01-04 14:56 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

The Ultimate DooMer said:

AFAIK Boom, prBoom, ZDoom and Eternity have full Boom support. Not sure about Legacy though.

Legacy isn't even 100% Doom compatible (voodoo dolls).

Old Post 01-01-04 15:18 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kaiser
Doom64 Guru

boris said:

Legacy isn't even 100% Doom compatible (voodoo dolls).

I'll have to agree on that. Hell, its not even 100% dehacked compatible.

Old Post 01-01-04 15:32 #
Kaiser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote