Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Suggestion: co-authored maps

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:27. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Something that IMHO was really missing from the first Community Chest were levels created by more than one person.

These can turn out to be really good levels, because the level designers can build on each other's strengths and weaknesses. For example, one author may not be that good at balancing items & monsters but great at creating amazing-looking architecture, while the other person may be able to perfectly balance their levels but suck at detailing.

Also, if one designer ever runs out of inspiration, he can just send the level over to the other person, and then hopefully get re-inspired by all the changes that have been made when they get the new version.

There are co-authored levels in many other megawads, including the Memento Mori's, the Darkening E2, STRAIN, Requiem, Alien Vendetta and Hell Revealed 2. Playing through them quickly, not a single one of them seemed to be a bad map. In fact, I'd rate them from good->great.

So personally I'd really love to see at least a couple of maps in CC2 with more than one author. If anything, it'd certainly help with the level designer overflow problem.

In fact - and I may regret this - I'm up for co-creating a level with someone myself :)

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 01-03-04 14:52 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Torn
google is your master

Very nice idea. :)

Old Post 01-03-04 16:10 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

I like that idea! And you can co-map map31 with me if you want, I am having some trouble getting started :/ A warning though: I'm using sort of a gimmicky theme.

Old Post 01-03-04 16:14 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mewse
aahahhh

WARNING:

Doctor Baldy is NOT a real doctor!

Old Post 01-03-04 16:27 #
mewse is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

Sure I am. Just look at my credentials.

Old Post 01-03-04 16:44 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

This is what DooMBoy ands I did with the Heretic E1M7 (even though I ended up doing most of the map, heheh). The authors can also correct the other's minor mistakes (texture alignment, thing placement, etc.). Also, maps may generally get done faster, or in my case, if one author can't continue for some reason, the other author can continue where he left off.

The only down side is if the two authors (or more for the really huge maps) use different editors. Several times, DooMBoy made a room, only to have Deepsea foul up the entire map, or at the very least the room he just made, and I'd have to spend time undoing the damage. One time, it was so bad that I had to get a backup and attempt to recreate his room (with little success, but it did lead to some inspiration later on).

In other words, use compatible editors or there will be problems.

Old Post 01-03-04 18:32 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

sargebaldy said:
Sure I am. Just look at my credentials.

Awesome name for a gynaecologist.

Old Post 01-03-04 18:39 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

sargebaldy: Torn's already invited me to work on a level with him :)

Ichor: I don't see why one editor should be incompatible with another. I've loaded up maps that were made with all sorts of other editors in Deepsea with no problems whatsoever, so I'm not sure what was going wrong for you.

One thing that could have screwed things up is if you had lots of unused sectors and sidedefs. Deepsea's fine with them, but some editors start going mental if there are too many.

Alternatively perhaps one of you were (for some reason) packing sidedefs. Again these are fine in Deepsea but a lot of editors hate them... and of course even Deepsea will wreck things if you start adding and removing linedefs without first unpacking the sidedefs.

The only other thing I can think of that would screw things up is if the level somehow got saved in ZDoom/Hexen format and then loaded in an editor that only supports the regular format.

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 01-03-04 18:54 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EarthQuake
9.5 on the Richter!

Actually, I would love this, hehe, seeing as I don't have a map slot.
I'm doing a city backdrop right now (for background detail) and it looks pretty good so far. I'll put up a screenshot of it later when I have more buildings made.

As for the editor compatiblity, if you are using Deepsea, run the error checker to delete unused sidedefs/sectors, and make sure you haven't packed your sidedefs and everything will be fine. If your editor has a boom configuration file, just be sure to use that right from the start. If you don't, chances are when you figure out that you aren't using it, you'll have to convert level types and change all your linedef/sector types/tags.

Old Post 01-03-04 19:08 #
EarthQuake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dr. Zin

Agent Spork,
I know we both made claims to MAP26, do you want to do a coop of it? I use Doombuilder, and I have the begginigns of a level right now

Old Post 01-03-04 21:09 #
Dr. Zin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hirogen2

Heh I actually use WinZETH and Doom Builder's "ZDoom (Doom in Doom)" config
file... :-)
When I am done I might need someone to have a look at the arch and item
placement. Thanks.

Old Post 01-03-04 21:34 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cadman
I'm not supposed to be here...no really

Dr. Zin said:
Agent Spork,
I know we both made claims to MAP26, do you want to do a coop of it? I use Doombuilder, and I have the begginigns of a level right now

Hopefully that will solve our map 26 dilemma! If you authors out there wish to co-author maps then please do so. Again, just make sure you stick with the rules of this project. If you're unsure about the rules please check my earlier posts. I will put Dr. Zin and Agent Spork as co-authors of map 26 if that's okay with you guys?

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I'm a DoomGod! (Yeah, right!!)

Old Post 01-03-04 22:51 #
Cadman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

I'd ask someone if they'd let me co-op, but I'm way to anal retentive. Hell, it even pissed me off that the two maps preceeding mine in the Enigma demo completely unbalanced mine. :P

Old Post 01-03-04 22:54 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VolteFace

I will co-author a map with someone if they would like. I use Doom Builder.

Old Post 01-03-04 23:03 #
VolteFace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EarthQuake
9.5 on the Richter!

As would I. I use Deepsea.

Old Post 01-03-04 23:25 #
EarthQuake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Skunkboy Kyle

I can't get these fucking bridges DAMN I WILL KILL EVERYONE IN THE WORLD!

Okay, seriously, I just need help with making bridges, deathz0r was sorta helping but... anyway if you know how to make bridges help me learn.

Don't rescue me. I don't want to be. Let you and me be out of control. Just because I can't sleep at night. Just because I hear your voice. Just because I see your face. Just because I want you. You! You're the one! Turn me inside out! You! You're the one!Make me scream and shout! You! You're the one! Be around only me! You! You're the one! Don't rescue me!
- Devo, Don't Rescue Me

Old Post 01-04-04 07:49 #
Skunkboy Kyle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

Ichor said:
This is what DooMBoy ands I did with the Heretic E1M7 (even though I ended up doing most of the map, heheh). The authors can also correct the other's minor mistakes (texture alignment, thing placement, etc.). Also, maps may generally get done faster, or in my case, if one author can't continue for some reason, the other author can continue where he left off.
To this day, I still regret having not contributed more to that level, as the idea was mine and all. :( I dunno why Deep butchered the nodes so thoroughly for our little level, but oh well. It got released, it looked and played good, and that's what counts, after all :)

In other words, use compatible editors or there will be problems.

After what happened with sections of the Crypts map, I'd be willing to go along with Ichor on this one. BE SURE to keep several backups of your co-authored levels handy...just in case.

Old Post 01-04-04 08:56 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hirogen2

Well just be sure to fix any unclosed sectors before passing on your copy, heh! Same goes for developing programs, thou should only commit working changes to CVS.

Old Post 01-04-04 09:07 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

I was talking to Hyena in #zdoom the other night about possibly co-authoring a map with him.

Old Post 01-04-04 13:06 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AgentSpork
Agent Spork is a resourceful agent for the Country

Dr. Zin said:
Agent Spork,

I wouldn't mind.

What kind of map are you working on?

Old Post 01-05-04 11:47 #
AgentSpork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hyena
Unfortunately it is lethal

Kid Airbag said:
I was talking to Hyena in #zdoom the other night about possibly co-authoring a map with him.

Still up for it if you are.

Old Post 01-07-04 21:08 #
Hyena is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

Someone can still co-author with me, if they're interested. But as I said the theme will be a bit off-the-wall, and I don't really feel like pointing it out here. So if you're interested just PM me.

Old Post 01-07-04 21:28 #
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

Since my level won't be all that big I don't see any point in letting another person help on me on it, I'll get along fine by myself :)

Old Post 01-07-04 21:45 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dr. Zin

ucrrently it has a drak techbase theme, but really only one room is built. email me a griffiniic at yahoo dot com and we can carry this further

Old Post 01-09-04 20:51 #
Dr. Zin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

if anyone wants to coop with me im fine with that (doom builder)

Old Post 01-10-04 02:10 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
WildWeasel
Resident Castlevania Super-Fanboy

I'm good at texture alignment, if anybody wants me to save them the trouble and tedium. (Of course I use Doombuilder...)

Old Post 01-10-04 03:58 #
WildWeasel is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote