Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Menu Graphics

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:47. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AgentSpork
Agent Spork is a resourceful agent for the Country

Just trying to keep that other thread from getting too off topic, I start this thread regarding menu graphics for CCHEST2

Uh.. I made a menu graphic in 1 minute, and it probably looks like shit (That's why I named it shittymenugraphic.jpg

http://doomrealm.web1000.com/temp/shittymenugraphic.jpg

Old Post 01-04-04 00:18 #
AgentSpork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
EarthQuake
9.5 on the Richter!

That looks like a very cheesy version of the Doom font. =]

What about a recoloured Doom font?

Old Post 01-04-04 00:58 #
EarthQuake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

It would look better without that black outline.

Old Post 01-04-04 01:13 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
exl
Personal Test Dummy

How 'bout this?
http://www.whacked.daniel-carroll.co.uk/temp/New-1.gif
FYI, this isn't taken in-game, just patched together.

Old Post 01-04-04 01:14 #
exl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

I vote for exile/s.

Old Post 01-04-04 02:33 #
rf` is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Draconio
Ack! Ack! Ack!

Yeah, exile's looks good.

Old Post 01-04-04 02:39 #
Draconio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
EarthQuake
9.5 on the Richter!

Honestly, you can't tell much from the image.
It looks like just one color... it needs depth and color variance.

Old Post 01-04-04 02:41 #
EarthQuake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
AgentSpork
Agent Spork is a resourceful agent for the Country

It looks good though.

Old Post 01-04-04 02:55 #
AgentSpork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
exl
Personal Test Dummy

EarthQuake said:
It looks like just one color... it needs depth and color variance.

This any better?

http://www.whacked.daniel-carroll.co.uk/temp/New-2.gif

Old Post 01-04-04 12:38 #
exl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor

Better. Maybe add some color (not necessarily yellow) to "Time" and "Par".

Old Post 01-04-04 16:58 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ralphis
IDL Founder

Speaking of Par, is there any way to change PARS?

Old Post 01-04-04 17:02 #
Ralphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
exl
Personal Test Dummy

Maybe add some color (not necessarily yellow) to "Time" and "Par".

Actually, the graphics used for numbers are used by the percentages and the times so only text and digits can be different colors. I'll have another try.

http://www.whacked.daniel-carroll.co.uk/temp/New-3.gif

Last edited by exl on 01-04-04 at 20:45

Old Post 01-04-04 18:10 #
WildWeasel
Resident Castlevania Super-Fanboy

Ralphis said:
Speaking of Par, is there any way to change PARS?
You need either a DeHackEd patch or a ZDoom MAPINFO lump (if I remember right).

Old Post 01-05-04 01:34 #
WildWeasel is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cyb

yeah boom supports changing the par times via dehacked

Old Post 01-05-04 03:26 #
Cyb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Well, given that we're gonna have a bex patch for map names anyway, why don't we include par times in it?

Old Post 01-05-04 03:32 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
EarthQuake
9.5 on the Richter!

I know what a par is, but how do you set a standard for the time it takes to finish a level? Have an expert play the level as fast as he can and just go by that number?

Old Post 01-05-04 03:40 #
Ichor

Now that one looks good.

Old Post 01-05-04 05:13 #
Hirogen2

EarthQuake said:
I know what a par is, but how do you set a standard for the time it takes to finish a level? Have an expert play the level as fast as he can and just go by that number?

I thought the same. Though, not an expert should run through it, you should run through it (just speedrun), post your par, subtract or add a reasonable time to make it a normal-Doomer's par. Also take level size into account.

Mabye someone ask id software on how they set their par.

Old Post 01-05-04 12:58 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

I always assumed the par was the average amount of time it took to complete a level.

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 01-05-04 14:15 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Torn
google is your master

Well, John Romero ran as fast he could to the exit and dropped some extra secs on the time.

Old Post 01-05-04 15:05 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Skunkboy Kyle

Seriously, screw Romero's idea! The par for MAP01 is like 30 seconds and that's really huffing it and avoiding everything. If you get every secret in the level including the chainsaw your time is more like 2:12, and if you skip the secrets and just kill the enemys it's around 1:30, and if you skip the room on the left it's 1:00. And these scores are all with knowing where everything is! The par is flawed.

Don't rescue me. I don't want to be. Let you and me be out of control. Just because I can't sleep at night. Just because I hear your voice. Just because I see your face. Just because I want you. You! You're the one! Turn me inside out! You! You're the one!Make me scream and shout! You! You're the one! Be around only me! You! You're the one! Don't rescue me!
- Devo, Don't Rescue Me

Old Post 01-07-04 09:23 #
Skunkboy Kyle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Twiztid

Do you even get anything for beating the par times? I never tried to.

Old Post 01-07-04 18:34 #
Twiztid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Draconio
Ack! Ack! Ack!

Twiztid said:
Do you even get anything for beating the par times? I never tried to.

Just a sense of accomplishment, no special game features.

Old Post 01-07-04 19:02 #
Draconio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

Looks really good exile :)

Old Post 01-07-04 19:09 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hyena
Unfortunately it is lethal

Skunkboy Kyle said:
Seriously, screw Romero's idea! The par for MAP01 is like 30 seconds and that's really huffing it and avoiding everything. If you get every secret in the level including the chainsaw your time is more like 2:12, and if you skip the secrets and just kill the enemys it's around 1:30, and if you skip the room on the left it's 1:00. And these scores are all with knowing where everything is! The par is flawed.

Heh. Some people have speedrun MAP01 in 5 seconds.

Old Post 01-07-04 21:05 #
Hyena is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Skunkboy Kyle

Yeah, I meant for the average Doomer. You have to practice to get that.

Old Post 01-07-04 22:04 #
Skunkboy Kyle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kristian Ronge

Almost anyone can do it in 6 seconds (or at least 7). The current max record is :41 though, so it's above par.

In my humble opinion, the Romero-definition of par (play "normally", get to the exit and round off to nearest quarter-minute) is okay. A max run shouldn't necessarily be possible to do under par, since finding secrets is an extra-bonus for people who take their time with the map, and often has little to do with making it through the map.

Just my $0.02.

Old Post 01-07-04 22:46 #
Kristian Ronge is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

The best thing to do would be to test your map normally (ie. skill 4 max), but then speedrun it as well (using god mode if necessary) and base the par time on that.

Old Post 01-07-04 22:46 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Skunkboy Kyle

lol

Old Post 01-08-04 00:43 #