Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Demos for The Project
Do we want to replace the demos?
Yes
No
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:09. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cadman
I'm not supposed to be here...no really

Okay guys, I want to ask, do we want to replace the demos with demos of our own? I would like to make it a complete project as classy as possible...:)

I would like to take out the original "Id" demos and replace them with our demos. I think this would go hand in hand with our new Titlepics, Intermission Screens and the such. There's always a chance that the demos won't play properly in some other "port" that's Boom compatible but that's the way it goes. What say you?

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I'm a DoomGod! (Yeah, right!!)

Old Post 01-20-04 16:46 #
Cadman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

From what I've heard, not many people actually use Boom itself anymore, since apparently it works on even fewer computers than doom(2).exe. This means that any "Boom-compatible" projects like CChest2 will actually mostly be played in PRBoom, Eternity, ZDoom, Legacy, and maybe MBF and SMMU.

Since (IIRC) only the first two of these actually play Boom demos properly, there really won't be that many people who'd be able to see the demos.

Having said that, recording demos isn't exactly hard work, so why not? :)

Last edited by NiGHTMARE on 01-20-04 at 17:33

Old Post 01-20-04 17:17 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
0-Mephisto-0

I don't have any ideas about the in-game demos, HOWEVER we could make a demo-pack later on, where everyone records demos of their own maps. In-game demo compatibility will be a problem, I'll be playing it with ZDoom anyway, and it won't play them.

Old Post 01-20-04 17:28 #
0-Mephisto-0 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cyb

replacing the in-game demos is easy, just record a demo (or 3) and stick it in the wad as a lump named DEMO1 (and DEMO2 and DEMO3 for the other two). I would record them in prBoom using a Boom compatability mode, though I would stay away from any maps that use friction since I believe prBoom can desync those.

Old Post 01-20-04 17:51 #
Cyb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

That rules out my map then... (as I'm planning to use high friction to simulate wading through deep water)

Old Post 01-20-04 19:35 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

Cyb said:
I would stay away from any maps that use friction since I believe prBoom can desync those.
Interesting; do you have any specific examples of Boom demos that desync in certain versions of prboom?

BTW, if Win2k/XP users want to use something as close as possible to the original Boom, AFAIK Prboom 2.02 (here or here) is the best option - it's intended as a straight W32 port of Boom 2.02. I've used it to watch some demos that were OK with Boom 2.02 but not Prboom 2.2.3 (that had nothing to do with friction though).

I'm not sure how compatible Eternity is with Boom 2.02 demos. I recorded some in Prboom's 2.02 compatibility mode, and they desynched in Eternity. Looking at the source-port genealogy, perhaps Boom 2.01 compatibility demos would be a better chance in Eternity. I've never tested that myself though.

Old Post 01-21-04 03:41 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Donce

Grazza said:

I'm not sure how compatible Eternity is with Boom 2.02 demos. I recorded some in Prboom's 2.02 compatibility mode, and they desynched in Eternity. Looking at the source-port genealogy, perhaps Boom 2.01 compatibility demos would be a better chance in Eternity. I've never tested that myself though.

I know at least one difference between 2.01 and 2.02 that wouldn't help much in syncing demos - in 2.01 switch triggers can be activated from both sides. The best option would be to record with Boom 2.02 and check for playback in PrBoom and Eternity so that they can be watched in all 3 ports. Mmm, recording with PrBoom's Boom 2.02 compatibility and checking with Boom and Eternity would be equally good :)

Old Post 01-21-04 08:21 #
Donce is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

I know I'd like to see some Boom demos (since my default port Eternity can watch them). And there's no real reason for anyone not to make some, if they want to :)

Grazza said:
desynched
got you back for that last one >:)

Old Post 01-21-04 08:31 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Donce

I think both 'desynched' and 'desynced' can be considered right: depends what word you base it off - synchronization or its short from (sync).

Old Post 01-21-04 09:05 #
Donce is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

This is wildly off-topic, but the rules for abbreviations like this aren't very clearly defined AFAIK, with woolly considerations such as "how would it tend to be pronounced?" playing a role. I think "desync" is OK (it is a valid abbreviation, and the pronunciation is obvious to all), but would tend to include the "h" (as I did above) when a suffix starting with "e" or "i" is added onto it.

As an alternative convention you could always include the "h", though some people might then read "synch" as having a "ch" sound at the end.

Back on topic: with 2.01, I had in mind that Prboom and Eternity should both have a compatibility mode for that (though the option to record in that seems to have disappeared in 2.2.4), and thus they would have a good chance of playing those demos OK. I don't know whether (Pr)boom 2.02 had an built-in compatibility with 2.01 demos.

Last edited by Grazza on 01-21-04 at 16:35

Old Post 01-21-04 09:41 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Searcher

Since you can't be sure who will be using what port on the set, I don't think demo replacement is a good idea.

Old Post 01-21-04 16:30 #
Searcher is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

Donce said:
I think both 'desynched' and 'desynced' can be considered right: depends what word you base it off - synchronization or its short from (sync).
nope, i tried it on both m-w.com and dictionary.com and neither knew what "desynched" meant.

Old Post 01-21-04 17:41 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

There is a 'desynchronize', though.

Old Post 01-21-04 17:59 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

yeah but i guess you're still supposed to cut the h off when you shorten it :P

Old Post 01-21-04 18:01 #
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

Heh, you're still arguing this.

Either works. If you need some "official" source for that, Chambers Dictionary gives "sync" and "synch" both as fully acceptable abbreviations of synchronization or synchronize.

Old Post 01-21-04 19:11 #
sargebaldy
not arioch

as does merriam-webster, but it doesn't apply for desynch :P

Old Post 01-21-04 20:09 #
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Grazza said:
Heh, you're still arguing this.

Either works. If you need some "official" source for that, Chambers Dictionary gives "sync" and "synch" both as fully acceptable abbreviations of synchronization or synchronize.

As well as their being abbreviations of synchronisation or synchronise, hopefully.

Personally I think "desync" is alright (similar to 'out of sync' in terms of the spelling of sync), along with "desynched" (as "desynced" it doesn't look right)

Old Post 01-21-04 21:44 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
zark
is more awesome than Ralphis

i like n*synch

Old Post 01-22-04 03:24 #
zark is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cyb

zarkyb said:
i like n*synch

it's N*SYNC you plebian!

Grazza: I'm basing that off the prboom homepage (and I believe one of the docs) which states:

Compatibility

• Game is capable of behaving like any of: original Doom v1.9, Boom v2.02, MBF (BOOM, MBF, LxDoom)
  • Plays most original Doom v1.9 demos (more than Boom or MBF)
  • Plays most Boom v2.02 demos (apart from levels with friction effects everything should work).
  • Plays some DosDoom, earlier Doom, earlier Boom, and LxDoom demos.
  • Plays all MBF demos.
  • Auto-correction of common bugs in old levels (MBF), with warnings (LxDoom)
  • Fine control of options controlling compatibility and new features (MBF)

Old Post 01-22-04 03:43 #
Cyb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote