Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > MORE questions about CC2
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:46. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

I'm sure most of you will role your eyes at these, but I have to ask some questions. These are refering to the rules that were jotted down in one of the threads-

1. CC2 will be released in October- does that mean we can finish it by October? Or do we have to finish it before?

2. So we release the wad as CC2MAP##.WAD, and I presume we include a txt file of the same name- do we send it to INCOMING as you would a normal wad upload?

3. So it says we can't upload MP3s- thats fine and all- but then it mummbles something about us not being alowed to use new music- does that count for midis too? Like, can we put in new midi music? (i thought maybe we're only allowed to put in music from Doom1 or something)

Thats about all for now. Stay tuned for more of my lame dumbass questions. Thanks.

Old Post 05-24-04 12:27 #
Foofoo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

*If you have different music you wish to use in your pwad that's fine, but it must be included in your pwad! Remember, your map must be playable by itself! One thing I do ask, no MP3's please on new music!

...oh. So I CAN put in new midis. I didn't read it properly before. Scrap that one.

Old Post 05-24-04 12:32 #
Foofoo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Maybe you should read this thread.

Old Post 05-24-04 13:28 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

boris said:
Maybe you should read this thread.

Yes i did read that already thanks.

Old Post 05-24-04 14:44 #
Cyb

the deadline is halloween... I assume cadman needs some time to put it together before then but around then is fine... if you finish early that's not a problem either

and you send the map to cadman (it's a megawad, not a group of 32 standalone maps)

Old Post 05-24-04 18:03 #
Cyb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Foofoo said:
I'm sure most of you will role your eyes at these, but I have to ask some questions. These are refering to the rules that were jotted down in one of the threads-

1. CC2 will be released in October- does that mean we can finish it by October? Or do we have to finish it before?

2. So we release the wad as CC2MAP##.WAD, and I presume we include a txt file of the same name- do we send it to INCOMING as you would a normal wad upload?

3. So it says we can't upload MP3s- thats fine and all- but then it mummbles something about us not being alowed to use new music- does that count for midis too? Like, can we put in new midi music? (i thought maybe we're only allowed to put in music from Doom1 or something)

Thats about all for now. Stay tuned for more of my lame dumbass questions. Thanks.

1. I'd try and get it finished 2 or 3 weeks before then, to give Cadman the time to prepare the finished megawad.

2. Zip it up with a textfile as normal, but send it to Cadman. (and to any team members who fancy playtesting it if you want that)

3. You can use new midi music, yes. You can even put it in midi format if you want to, as Boom supports midis directly.

Old Post 05-24-04 22:42 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

You can even put it in midi format if you want to, as Boom supports midis directly.

Umm... what exactly do you mean? Do you mean putting in a midi via Wintex (or etc.) like usual? ...isn't that what everyone does anyway?

Old Post 05-25-04 03:22 #
WildWeasel
Resident Castlevania Super-Fanboy

Foofoo: Some people will convert their MIDI into a MUS first, then place it in with Wintex.

Old Post 05-25-04 03:38 #
WildWeasel is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

wildweasel-r3000 said:
Foofoo: Some people will convert their MIDI into a MUS first, then place it in with Wintex.

Well i always just stick a straight midi into it.

Who converts their midis to mus first? When you put in a midi in Wintex, doesn't it automatically internally convert it into mus? Thats what I thought.

Old Post 05-25-04 04:07 #
Little Faith
Rigtige mænd er voldtægtsmænd

Yes, Wintex does that. But other similar proggies like XWE and such doesn't.

Old Post 05-25-04 10:42 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

Little Faith said:
Yes, Wintex does that. But other similar proggies like XWE and such doesn't.

ahh ok then. Thanks.

Old Post 05-27-04 00:12 #
Optiks
Green Marine

A while back some people were talking about changing the skies for the megawad. Did anyone decide on something or are we just keeping the default skies?

Old Post 05-28-04 19:47 #
Optiks is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
iori
#legacy bastard

I would like to use a variant of the e1 sky for maps 1-11, if no one has any objections. I had a neat idea for it, I'll post it later.

Though I do recall seeing an old thread about it. Ah well..

Old Post 05-28-04 20:11 #
iori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chopkinsca
Nothing

I hope whatever sky is used will go well with my map. The default for map21 would be awful to use. I never thought about the sky being different. Oh dear.

Old Post 05-28-04 20:57 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Amaster
Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair

Anything non-specific would be fine with me. I.e. a star-filled sky or a cloud sky would be fine. But something with spaceships or buildings would really wreck things for me (and probably others as well).

Old Post 05-28-04 21:17 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

I would prefer a city sky (or something city-based) for section 2. If that's not possible, a brown cloudy sky is the next best thing. (eg. the one from Strife, HR2 or the default SKY1 if it gets replaced)

For section 3 I'd recommend the one used in CC1. (that was pretty good)

Old Post 05-28-04 22:39 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

No star skies. If you have areas that are bright because of the sky and it is changed to a sky texture it wouldn't look good.
Just use skies similair to the E1 sky or the first 2 Doom2 skies.

Old Post 05-29-04 01:37 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
iori
#legacy bastard

Here is a sky I made just now, using the E1 sky as a base. I quite like it, so tell me what you guys think.

http://members.shaw.ca/jprimmett/doom/skies/skye1.jpg

Notice the 'mist' going over the mountains, and the background mountain is more transparent.

Old Post 05-29-04 02:05 #
iori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Amaster

Lutrov has a point. The sky brightness should probably be neutral. That sky pic above would be far too bright for my map.

Old Post 05-29-04 02:07 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

For section 3 I'd recommend the one used in CC1. (that was pretty good)

NO! My memory is a little hazzy, but from what i recall the sky textures in CC1 were horrible.

Old Post 05-29-04 06:58 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

Please, whoever is going to do the skys, please make them good. I hate bad skys (duh). The variation of the Doom1 episode 1 sky is a good idea. Just adding mist to it isn't much though. Perhaps change the colour? i dunno.

Maybe i'll take a wack at making a sky. I've made a few good skys in my day, i suppose.

Old Post 05-29-04 07:05 #
iori
#legacy bastard

If the colour was changed, it wouldnt be the e1 sky at all.. Anyways, compared with the original sky, it looks much different.

Old Post 05-29-04 09:48 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

iori said:
If the colour was changed, it wouldnt be the e1 sky at all..

hehe does it HAVE to be the e1 sky?

Old Post 05-29-04 10:29 #
chopkinsca
Nothing

The theme of my map doesn't work well with a red sky of any sort. It is suited for a brown sky, or greys. But the third sky usually is red and hellish looking. Oh well.

Old Post 05-29-04 15:16 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Amaster

The default section 1 sky works great for me.

Old Post 05-29-04 15:26 #
cyber-menace

Heh, the sky texture for my map would be fine with just about anything as long as it isn't too bright, although the default SKY3 works ok with it.

Old Post 05-29-04 15:32 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Flange Peddler

I *******ely think the skies should be kept as generic as possible. Perhaps it would be a good idea if all the collective authors of each individual episode come to a consensus on which sky fits each others levels best overall.

I also have a completely unrelated question... I'm thinking of putting some 'rain' into my level. I'm not sure how well it will look actually, and may not even bother, but I guess the best (only?) way to do this with Boom is via an animated texture. Does anyone know where I can get such a texture? I think I remember seeing something like it before (maybe snow as opposed to rain), but I can't remember where. The other thing is can you add as many animated textures as you want with boom, or do you have to write over an existing texture? If people really need to use all the existing animated then I guess my rain will have to go.

Related to this, I was thinking it might be a good idea if we could get some sort of collective resource wad for the project. I know Cadman said just add whatever custom textures/flats you want and then he'll join all the pwads together, but isn't that going to be a bit of a pain? Not to mention if people have used the same texture/flat name for completely different graphics.

Old Post 05-29-04 19:50 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Amaster

I doubt we'll get the same texture and flat names (I personally include my map number in the names of all my textures), but repeated textures with different names will be likely (poor cadman :( ).

Rain would require either replacing an existing animated texture (will cause problems for others) or using the ANIMATED lump (I hope Im not confusing this). I dont know if using that particular method will cause problems for others. Another method of doing rain would be to scroll the textures using boom's scroll-by-offset special to scroll the rain vertically. This way might actually work out better, depending on what the texture looks like.

Last edited by Amaster on 05-29-04 at 20:23

Old Post 05-29-04 20:17 #
chopkinsca
Nothing

The Flange Peddler said:
Perhaps it would be a good idea if all the collective authors of each individual episode come to a consensus on which sky fits each others levels best overall.

Heh, I had the exact same thing typed out, but in different words. I later didn't include it with my last post. I even had used the word 'consensus'.

As for custom graphics, I won't have any problems unless someone else is using GRASSWLL as a texture name.

Old Post 05-29-04 20:29 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

Assmaster said:
Another method of doing rain would be to scroll the textures using boom's scroll-by-offset special to scroll the rain vertically. This way might actually work out better, depending on what the texture looks like.

ahhh i tried something like that. It didn't work properly. It doesn't repeat the rain texture, so when it scrolls the rain down it will only scroll that one single 128x64 (or whatever) texture and then it'll disappear. Get me?

Old Post 05-30-04 11:30 #