Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Map06 up for playtesting!

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:48. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

If anybody wants to playtest my map06 please tell me. I'll give you the file to playtest in a day or so.

Old Post 07-11-04 12:02 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Flange Peddler

I wouldn't mind giving it a go. I'd like to see how difficult it is in comparison to my map (map 7).

Old Post 07-11-04 17:51 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

Cadman said that it could be as hard or as easy as you like it to be, so it doesn't matter too much. (It's not hard though)

Old Post 07-12-04 01:05 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

ME!

Old Post 07-12-04 01:35 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Flange Peddler

Just got through playing it in the latest ZDooM. Pretty cool :) Thought it was about the right length and difficulty for a map towards the beginning of the megawad.

A few comments. I thought the ammo/health balance was generally ok throughout, though I personally would put in a bit more health. Ammmo was fine until the ambushes as you run toward the exit, is there enough to kill all those monsters?

I noticed 2 HOMs by the red key. Sector 1087 seems to be the problem, and more specifically linedefs 4542 and 4547. It looks like you are trying to do a see-through sector, so you can see over the edge of the cliff but not go over it? Would a simple impassible linedef not do the trick you want to do here?

The only other thing is all those little pillars (with the doorstop texture) are all individual sectors. I am not sure if it would help performance-wise if these were joined to form 1 (or a few) sectors (not that I had any peformance issues on my computer).

Apart from these little things I thought it was a good level. The music fit really well too.

Old Post 07-12-04 22:32 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

The Flange Peddler said:
I noticed 2 HOMs by the red key. Sector 1087 seems to be the problem, and more specifically linedefs 4542 and 4547. It looks like you are trying to do a see-through sector, so you can see over the edge of the cliff but not go over it? Would a simple impassible linedef not do the trick you want to do here?

No it's actually blocking the enemies view of that because some cacos on the other side of the cliff see you and fly over when they're not supposed. It's a bit like a window that enemies can't see through.

Old Post 07-13-04 00:38 #
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

Come on! I just need one more playtester.

Old Post 07-24-04 01:51 #
iori
#legacy bastard

Ill take it :)

Old Post 07-24-04 03:36 #
iori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
iori
#legacy bastard

Welp, it was quite well done ;). Found that the layout was nice, and there was good use of non-standard texure combinations. Item wise there seemed to be too many 'distraction' items, like armour and health bonuses laying about. The health was ok overall, although after the pit of arachnotrons and that arch vile, a medkit or a few stimpacks at the exit would've been nice. I didnt take any damage from the archie, luckily, but if I had, I probably would have died (57 health, 12 armour at that time). Ammo was bountiful i found, the inclusion of the berserk was a good thing to have as well.

The outside detailing was superb, i found. Enough trees and corpse-laden monuments to make it appealing to the eye, and indoors was ok, but some things stood out, like small 8x8 objects for the player to snag on. Also might want to watch the flats of some of the floors. In the crate room (with hte boxes suspended above the monsters) near the place with the two rad suits the floors have little 8x8 squares of the wrong texture which are very noticable unless playing at 320x200.

Gameplay is good, with good cover in cramped places, and enough room to circle strafe when there was no cover, but the archviles need some sort of weakness. The first one is in that little cage, and unless the rocketlauncher or plasmagun is handy, the vile can kill you without fear of repent. Same situation with the one at teh end of the map, but worse because it has free movement. Some sort of cover would help without making the fight unfair.

All in all, I liked it :)

Old Post 07-25-04 04:01 #
iori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mogul

Any possibility of letting me try it, too? I'm starting to get into the whole design/testing thing.

Old Post 07-25-04 11:11 #
Mogul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

Now that I'm done mine I can look at yours, and other's if they finish soon.

Old Post 07-30-04 13:41 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

Okay, I've played through your map on UV. It isn't all that difficult which is good for the 6th map, the ammo is well balanced and if you play conservativly there will be lots left by the end. I very much enjoyed your map.

Your detailing is superb in basically all respects. I especially liked the outdoor sections.

I maxed the level just to make sure I got the whole experience. The last 2 secrets took me an extra 10 minutes to find though.

Great job and keep up the good work.

Now as for bugs... I have a couple of screenshots for you.

HOM is this on purpose?

Teleport move that thing onto the 64 grid so it is aligned properly. That looks nasty.

Very good job Lutrov!

Old Post 07-30-04 16:12 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Why don't you simply take a screenshot in ZDoom?

Old Post 07-30-04 16:55 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

Dunno, it's a habit I developed after a bit, plus Zdoom doesn't tend to remember my Gamma settings so it comes out too dark.

Old Post 07-30-04 17:45 #
Use3D
Forum Legend

I played it and sent you a pm lutrov, thanks for being patient

Old Post 08-26-04 20:49 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote