Demon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Map 07 Ready for Playtesting

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:06. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
The Flange Peddler

Well I think my map is ready for playtesting. So just reply here if you want to give it a go and I'll email or PM it to you. Zipped up it's 440k big. I've played through it in the latest Zdoom, boom and prboom (had a few issues with the scrolling floors in the different versions of boom, but I think I sorted them all out).

Any suggestions with regards to music? I don't think the standard map07 music works so badly, but I think it's going to be hard to get music that fits well into both the techbase and hell sections.

Old Post 07-25-04 19:14 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
iori
#legacy bastard

PM me with a url ill try it out, but wont be able to get to it until at least tomorrow.

Old Post 07-25-04 19:49 #
iori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Me, me, me!

Old Post 07-25-04 20:55 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

I'll give it a whirl.

Old Post 07-26-04 02:24 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dr. Zin

id like to see it

Old Post 07-26-04 03:58 #
Dr. Zin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Flange Peddler

I had the file hosted so you could all download it, but it seems to have been deleted. I'll try and sort it out, but until then just give me your e-mail addresses, and if you can take 440k size files, I'll send it to you that way.

Edit: Well, the file has appeared again so the old link I sent you all should now work again.

Last edited by The Flange Peddler on 07-26-04 at 23:14

Old Post 07-26-04 12:19 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dr. Zin

griffiniic at yahoo dot com

Old Post 07-26-04 19:45 #
Dr. Zin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
iori
#legacy bastard

erm..wow.

Old Post 07-27-04 01:26 #
iori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Twiztid

Sure, why not? Can I see it to? =)

Old Post 07-27-04 02:19 #
Twiztid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Twiztid

I liked it! I can't wait for the whole thing to come out! =D

Old Post 07-29-04 22:54 #
Twiztid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

]Wow. Great!
The detail was fantastic. It made the wad very nice to get around. The monster placement was alright, only some things annoyed me a little.

The revanents that teleported in when you get a key annoyed me a little bit. It got a tad bit repetitive and boring. Maybe replace some of the things with some hell knignts, some demons etc.
The part when you get blue key and go through the door and there is all the revs around the outside of the lift was pretty bad too, because you had to run around the level to get to them. You couldn't simply go up the lift or you would die and it would be boring to just snipe them down with a shotgun. You could just get rid of those, replace them with something else or allow another place for them to teleport in.

The hell part wasn't as good as the tech part but it was still good. Once you kill get the red skull key and all the mancubi teleport in, I think the arachnotrons come in too early. If possible, (not quite sure if it has something to do with the 666 tag,) make it come down a few seconds after the mancubi come in.
Now, that archie that comes in took me by surprise. :)
Luckily I saw it before it ressurected anything, otherwise I would of been killed easily. Once I managed to kill the archville, I had absolutely no ammunition. :) So that baron at the end of the level had to be dragged out of his room for me to win.
Also, that part when all of the revenants come out of the hell portal thingy was really great because of the rockets that were used in that part. I had to try not to get too close the rockets too, which made it challenging and fun at the same time.

There wasn't enough ammo I think, and I played it in Hurt Me Plenty and I ran out twice. If I didn't work out the plasma gun secret I would of been a goner. Add more shells, (not in the hell area,) and maybe a bit more bullets.
All the ammo clips lying around made it pretty obvious that you would be using your chaingun a fair bit throughout the level, which was good.

The layout was great. I got lost once and realised I forgot to press a button in a room I had already been in. :)

Overall, a suberb level that makes mine look pretty noobish. :)
Awesome and very very fun!

Last edited by Lutrov71 on 07-30-04 at 12:38

Old Post 07-30-04 09:19 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

Oh yeah, and If you want Flange, I could make like a little follow up to your wad from mine. If you increase the walls a bit higher at the beginning I could sortta make an entrance from where that SHAWN UAC texture was used.
Just an idea. :)

Old Post 07-30-04 12:35 #
cyber-menace
Forum Regular

Any chance I can still get a playtest in. I'll be awhile with the response, but I'll still be able to give you my opinion.

Old Post 07-30-04 13:45 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Twiztid

Lutrov71 said:
]There wasn't enough ammo I think, and I played it in Hurt Me Plenty and I ran out twice. If I didn't work out the plasma gun secret I would of been a goner. Add more shells, (not in the hell area,) and maybe a bit more bullets.
All the ammo clips lying around made it pretty obvious that you would be using your chaingun a fair bit throughout the level, which was good.

Yeah, i ran out of ammo atleast twice to. Maybe you should put in a little more ammo.

And like he said the map was superb! =D

Old Post 07-30-04 21:16 #
The Flange Peddler

Well excuse my extreme lateness in replying, but thanks a lot for all the feedback. I'll have to look into the ammo problems. To be honest I played through on Ultra Violence, and haven't tested it too much myself on Hurt Me Plenty. I figure there may be a chance ammo is tigher on earlier difficulty settings (especially if I removed a lot of shotgunners/chaingunners on the lower difficulty settings in comparisons to other monsters that don't drop any ammo when they've been killed).

Thanks again everyone, and Cyber-menace, I'll finally get round to PMing you a link where you can download the map from.

Old Post 08-10-04 12:12 #
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

Send me a PM Flange, I'd be honored to playtest your map :)

Old Post 08-10-04 17:03 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace
Forum Regular

Phew, I just got done with that map. I couldn't find two of the secrets, but that's ok.

This map is really quite good, the detailing is great and the health and ammo balance are pretty good from what I can see.

The ammo is a little tight at the beginning, but then it fixes itself up afterwards.

One thing I had trouble with was getting lost... some things weren't all that obvious so it made me take a half an hour just to play the map.

All around a great map. Good job Flange!

Old Post 08-16-04 13:19 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote