Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Map 23 Ready for Playtesting!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cyber-menace

I have no idea what came over me in the last week, but I've spent 40+ hours on this map and now it is ready to go.

Please tell me if you want to playtest it and I will send the link to you in a PM. Only other workers on CC2 can playtest this. This map is not for the general public.

Hope you enjoy it!

Old Post 07-29-04 20:58 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Twiztid

cyber-menace said:
Only other workers on CC2 can playtest this. This map is not for the general public.
Awwww. :(

Old Post 07-29-04 21:47 #
Twiztid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chopkinsca
Nothing

I'll try it.
I saw it on WIP and I liked the look of it. My map is also in the last episode and doesn't have the usual hellish design. Mine is more 'quarry' like with some sort of structure in/on it.

Old Post 07-29-04 21:49 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
cyber-menace

chopkinsca - I sent you a PM.

Twiztid - If someone who has a better say on this sorta thing approves I can send it to you, otherwise not.

Old Post 07-29-04 22:10 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

I could test it. :)

Old Post 07-30-04 07:00 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
cyber-menace

Okay, the more the better. I'll send you a PM.

This is the last day I can send people my map for playtesting for the next 2 weeks because I'll be gone, so if you want to playtest my map inform me today.

Old Post 07-30-04 12:43 #
cyber-menace

Anybody who has received my map so far, I posted an updated version at about 10:30 this morning that has some bug fixes. Please re-download the map if you must.

Old Post 07-30-04 16:15 #
cyber-menace

I'm here for the day, so if you want to playtest, tell me now!

Old Post 08-06-04 16:58 #
cyber-menace

*bump*

Okay, I'm finally back. I would prefer having at least 2 more play testers please. If you have play tested somebody else's map I will send you mine without delay... as little delay as possible that is.

Old Post 08-16-04 00:00 #
0-Mephisto-0

I'll do it.

Old Post 08-16-04 09:14 #
0-Mephisto-0 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
cyber-menace

Ok, I'll send you a PM with the file.

Now I only need at least 1 more beta tester.

Old Post 08-16-04 12:08 #
cyber-menace

Okay, now that I have basically enough beta testers... I NEED THEM TO SEND ME THEIR COMMENTS! I haven't received ANY feedback from my beta testers yet. Some have had the map for more than 3 weeks.

If you are a beta tester, please PM me or post your feedback so I can know what to do to finish up this map and send it to CadMan.

Old Post 08-19-04 16:49 #
chopkinsca
Nothing

I'm sorry for not responding back. I did try your map, but I have been in a really bad mood and can't make proper judgement on it.

Old Post 08-19-04 18:10 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
cyber-menace

Okay, I'll wait until you calm down a bit for your feedback.

Old Post 08-19-04 19:11 #
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

Sorry for taking so long to write a review.

Now, the map looked great. Good use of scenery and those weird little structers. Not quite sure what they are though... And the sky overlapped a fair bit making the level look pretty bad. Maybe you could get Cadman to change the sky to one that doesn't overlap.

The music was very catchy and good and suited the map very well.
Now the inner rooms, (not caves) looked very nice and had great detail. The caves were a bit too dark for my liking, maybe increase the lighting by 5 and maybe add some lights to the walls or add more gas lamps. And add more light to the large arena type room with the cyberdemon. It was sorta hard navigating with all those demons lyring around the place and not being able to see the Cyberdemon very well.

Try and add some plasma cells earlier on in the game, because they would be quite usefull killing all the soldiers and imps etc. at the start of the level.

And there was cave I walked into with many barons and hell knights. I found it a bit boring trying to kill all of them because it was repetitive and takes a long time. Keep a lot of them but change a few around to revenants or demons or maybe even add an Archville somewhere. ;)

Well, overall this was a good level. Your detail and tromendously improved and it follows your type of gameplay. Well done.

Old Post 08-23-04 08:21 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
boris
meow

Lutrov71 said:
And the sky overlapped a fair bit making the level look pretty bad. Maybe you could get Cadman to change the sky to one that doesn't overlap.

You you/he could simply read my long post (well, long quote ;) here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthr...&threadid=24033

Old Post 08-23-04 09:36 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

Yeah, I was going to mention that but I couldn't find the thread and didn't really feel like looking for it at the time.

Old Post 08-23-04 11:50 #
cyber-menace

Lutrov71 said:
Try and add some plasma cells earlier on in the game, because they would be quite usefull killing all the soldiers and imps etc. at the start of the level.
I'm likely going to leave the ammo as it is, it adds to the difficulty. If someone wasted all of their cells in Map22, they won't be able to BFG their way out of the first ambush adding immensly more difficulty. Being the 23rd map it must be hard.

Thanks for your feedback Lutrov! I see you liked my music, can you guess where it is from? I thought I should us the actual Death Mountain music, but the only MIDI of it I could find sounded like crap so I went with this music instead.

EDIT: I don't want to double post, so I'll just add on to this one.

OK, I fixed the sky (I only had one sector that had a tag other than 0 using it so it was easy) I know use the dark blue cloud sky featured in DTCA.

I have to thank chopkinsca for his post in the Sky Preferences thread because he mentioned the sky had to be an upper texture in order to work. That fixed the gigantic HOM that was appearing otherwise.

To fix the lighting issue, I've added more gas lamps in the bigger caves (not in the tiny caves) so you can see a little better. I've also increased the general lighting in Turtle Rock by 16.

I've changed a few of the Hell Knights and some of the Barons to different enemies like Mancubus and Cacodemons. I've also added the archie to make the last cave more... interesting.

That sould clear up those problems. Took me an extra hour of editing, but the results are nice.

EDIT2: Okay, Lutrov and anybody else who has beta-tested but wants to take a look at the changes... I've uploaded an updated version of the wad to the same place. Check it out.

BTW - 0-Mephist-0 you have yet to give me feedback, and I am still waiting for yours chopkinsca. Once I receive your feedback, I'll add you to the beta-testers list in my credits.

Last edited by cyber-menace on 08-23-04 at 13:38

Old Post 08-23-04 12:26 #
cyber-menace

This is more off-topic so I'm making a new post.

I've just finished my analysis of the Transfer Sky special to see which ports support it.

Zdoom - Yes
PrBoom - Of Course
Doom Legacy - No
Edge - No
JDoom - Doesn't support Boom
SkullTag - Yes

It seems not very many ports are going to see the new skys in CC2. Oh well...

Old Post 08-23-04 14:03 #
boris
meow

cyber-menace said:
It seems not very many ports are going to see the new skys in CC2. Oh well...

CC2 is for Boom compatible ports. My map will not work correctly in Legacy either, since I'm using a lot voodoo dolls.

Old Post 08-23-04 14:17 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
cyber-menace

Then it seems Zdoom and other branches of Zdoom, and PrBoom are the only source ports that will run CC2. To my knowledge at least. Legacy runs my map fine except for the sky and a few teleporting issues. Same thing with Edge. I guess some things just have a lower compatability for Boom...

Old Post 08-23-04 15:01 #
boris
meow

It will work in Eternity.

Old Post 08-23-04 18:06 #
cyber-menace

Hmmm, there's a source port I haven't downloaded yet... well it's good to hear CC2 will work in a decent selection of ports.

Old Post 08-23-04 18:10 #
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

It should work in MBF/WinWBF, too.

Old Post 08-23-04 22:11 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Amaster
Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair

It should work in Risen.

Old Post 08-23-04 22:14 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
boris
meow

My map won't work correctly in MBF, since it has (according to Quasar) a bug that was fixed in Boom 2.02, while MBF is based on Boom 2.01 or something. Dunno if Quasar fixed it in WinMBF though.

Old Post 08-23-04 23:16 #
cyber-menace

The only reason why I've never heard of these source ports before (Except Eternity) is probably because they are too old/new and they don't show up in the supported list of ports on Doom Connector.

Old Post 08-24-04 00:00 #
boris
meow

EDGE doesn't have networking code, neither does Eternity. I don't know about MBF, but it's for DOS, so no TCP/UDP/IP there anyway.

Old Post 08-24-04 00:48 #
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

cyber-menace said:
The only reason why I've never heard of these source ports before (Except Eternity) is probably because they are too old/new and they don't show up in the supported list of ports on Doom Connector.

It's probably to do with the fact they're less well-known than other ports. Everyone comes in and picks up the main ports (Boom, Doomsday, Legacy, ZDoom) and tends to miss the others unless they need them for something in particular. (the lack of wads made for them also contributes, as they never appear in newstuff and get exposure)

Old Post 08-24-04 03:13 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
cyber-menace

Well I've waited long enough. I'll still take the feedback of the beta testers who haven't given me any yet, but I'm sending this to CadMan.

Old Post 08-27-04 13:00 #