Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > I ALSO QUIT... just kidding. Map 24 Done!

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

Somehow I kinda finished map 24. I don't know how, but I pretty much finished the bastard. Sort of. Architecturally I mean. Send me a PM whoever wants to playtest it (meaning this will be the first wad I EVER had playtested) and I'll send you the top secret internet address of where to get it from.

I haven't actually played the whole thing without cheats yet, so the monsters, ammo and health balances are most likely gonna be stuffed. That's why its only architecturally finished. Ahh hell, no it isn't. I'm still going to change some things in that department too. I know the level is a bit annoying but I don't want to spend MORE time working on the bloody thing (well, except moving objects around and such)

Also, whoever plays it, also tell me what may be wrong with the graphics and/or music. The music gets a bit airy-fairy at times sorry - but I don't know what the hell to do with it, after the low harp thuds gets too repetitive, where does it go?

And please don't tell me if there's a lack of quality towards the end of the map, because I ran out of size for the map and I can't add anything more to it (in terms of vertices and sidedefs I mean) because Boom can't seem to handle too many segs in a map (whatever the hell a SEG is, but cutting down vertices seems to do the trick)

Thanks. Also, if CC2 folds, I can just release this thing as a stand alone i guess.

Old Post 08-19-04 15:07 #
Foofoo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

shit... sorry for the long posts.

Old Post 08-19-04 15:08 #
Foofoo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
cyber-menace

I might as well take a look now that I'm basically done with my map.

Old Post 08-19-04 16:47 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chopkinsca
Nothing

I too would like to try out this map of yours.

Old Post 08-19-04 18:12 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

I wouldn't mind taking a gander at it as well.

Old Post 08-19-04 21:31 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

seeing the names of each map, I have a bad feeling that my map is going to be really out of place in the whole thing.

Old Post 08-20-04 03:17 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

oh, and another thing for whoever plays it- if you have a bad midi card (like a general midi card) chances are that the music is going to be stuffed (...not that the music isn't stuffed anyway, but most of the instruments are 127 high all up so a lot of the intruments may not play)

Old Post 08-20-04 03:22 #
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

Uhh, I'll playtest it but you have to playtest it too man. I playtested my map about 8 times before I sent it to Cadman, and I changed something around every time.

Old Post 08-20-04 09:55 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

Lutrov71 said:
Uhh, I'll playtest it but you have to playtest it too man. I playtested my map about 8 times before I sent it to Cadman, and I changed something around every time.

Yes, offcourse I'll playtest it- I haven't sent it to Cadman yet, and i'm pretty sure I won't send it for quite some time.

Old Post 08-20-04 10:42 #
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

That is a bloody extraordinary level Foofoo! Very unorthadox too, which isn't a bad thing. Great texture scheme and gameplay. Actually, the gameplay is just superb but there is not enough health. There are some places with lots of health but you need maybe some stimpacks lying around, because I had to go in godmode to beat some parts, and I was playing in hurt me plenty.

The beginning sections were a bit too dark for my liking. Maybe add some lights here and there or just make the underground like room a bit brighter. And why are there buttons everywhere?

Now, the chainsaw plays a big role in this level. Without it, you're pretty much screwed, so maybe make the chainsaw at the beginning of the map or something. And maybe a bit more ammo clips. Not shells but clips. And what would make the map really enjoyable would be a beserk pack in the hallway area when you get swarmed by demons.

And what did you do to the sky? I think you tried to make your own ore something... Not sure if you're allowed to do something like that...

Well, I had a great time playing through the level. You did a great job! Beats Wow but a crapload. :D

BIG NOTE: You should ask Cyber-Menace to change the ending of his level to the effect when you die in slime, lava etc. and you win. Otherwise, there would be too much ammo and it would ruin your level.

Old Post 08-20-04 11:43 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
cyber-menace

Lutrov71 said:
BIG NOTE: You should ask Cyber-Menace to change the ending of his level to the effect when you die in slime, lava etc. and you win. Otherwise, there would be too much ammo and it would ruin your level.

The problem there is, it wouldn't make any darn sense with the theme of my map.

EDIT: I'm not going to double post... anyways...

I just finished playing through your map. I must admit it is quite extrodinary, but I can easily see what you meant about only being "architectuarly" complete, because on UV there is FAR to little.

Also, I checked it out, and 517 chaingunners spawning in the beginning towers is a bit much. If they were Shotgun guys I would aproove, but chaingunners are too accurate and will eat away all of your health too quickly.

I never found the yellow key... so I never found that section. This map is a bit confusing to work around which adds to its uniqueness.

I think you should consider leaving ammo and such laying about the level instead of in the 2 or 3 strongholds... oh yes... there is nothing in the Red Key stronghold right near the end.

The chainsaw and shotgun could be hard to find for people who don't explore... and there seems to be an overkill in monsters in some places.

I agree with Lutrov about a berserk being needed. That chainsaw won't do much good against the onslaught of Hell Knights that follow the demons. Not to mention the Arachnatrons constantly shooting from their booths.

All around, you need to put a lot more work into ammo, health, and monster balance. Detail wise this is one of the most unique maps I have ever seen and for the first time ever from your maps... it doesn't reduce my framerate! (Yeah I had to say it...) This map looks absolutely marvolus and I can't wait to see what happens once you get around to finishing it!

Last edited by cyber-menace on 08-20-04 at 13:33

Old Post 08-20-04 12:53 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

Lutrov71 said:
That is a bloody extraordinary level Foofoo! Very unorthadox too, which isn't a bad thing. Great texture scheme and gameplay. Actually, the gameplay is just superb but there is not enough health. There are some places with lots of health but you need maybe some stimpacks lying around, because I had to go in godmode to beat some parts, and I was playing in hurt me plenty.

Well I haven't played the level at all in Hurt Me Plenty, so it's probly just a problem of monster placement and numbers i guess.

[QUOTE]
The beginning sections were a bit too dark for my liking. Maybe add some lights here and there or just make the underground like room a bit brighter. And why are there buttons everywhere?
[/B][QUOTE]

Personally I think the lighting is good enough... okay okay, i'll lighten it a bit and see how it looks. The buttons are there because of decoration. They don't do anything. And they won't work because, obvoiusly, the place is broken and stuffed up.

[QUOTE]
Now, the chainsaw plays a big role in this level. Without it, you're pretty much screwed, so maybe make the chainsaw at the beginning of the map or something. And maybe a bit more ammo clips. Not shells but clips. And what would make the map really enjoyable would be a beserk pack in the hallway area when you get swarmed by demons.
[/B][QUOTE]

There IS a chainsaw near the beginning. It's lying on a crate. You have to find it (what is it with Doom players and exploration ;) ? Don't you guys explore the places of Doom a bit?)

[QUOTE]
And what did you do to the sky? I think you tried to make your own ore something... Not sure if you're allowed to do something like that...
[/B][QUOTE]

No I did not try to make my own ore something. hehe. I think you mispelt. Plus, 'they' talk about being creative for CC2, so why not?

[QUOTE]
Well, I had a great time playing through the level. You did a great job! Beats Wow but a crapload. :D
[/B][QUOTE]

Did you find the secret nose?

Old Post 08-20-04 14:22 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

hehe oh god. Look at my above post. I guess I can't do 'that' in these posts, eh?

Old Post 08-20-04 14:23 #
chopkinsca
Nothing

Foofoo said:
hehe oh god. Look at my above post. I guess I can't do 'that' in these posts, eh?

Well, the [quote] tags need to be closed.

Old Post 08-20-04 14:35 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
boris
meow

Yes you can. And if you still didn't notice you can even edit your posts!

Old Post 08-20-04 14:37 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

'The problem there is, it wouldn't make any darn sense with the theme of my map.'

hehe i thought so.

'Also, I checked it out, and 517 chaingunners spawning in the beginning towers is a bit much. If they were Shotgun guys I would aproove, but chaingunners are too accurate and will eat away all of your health too quickly'

Well that was the main idea: to get to the health and ammo you have to run for your life to get to it, praying to not get drenched by the chaingunners. Hard, yes. That's what I like about it :P

'I never found the yellow key... so I never found that section.'

It IS there. In the hallway with the mancubi, theres a door that branches off of it leading to the place to get the yellow key.

'I think you should consider leaving ammo and such laying about the level instead of in the 2 or 3 strongholds... oh yes... there is nothing in the Red Key stronghold right near the end.'

hehehe, oh yeah, thats right. I totally forgot about that one.

'The chainsaw and shotgun could be hard to find for people who don't explore... and there seems to be an overkill in monsters in some places.'

Man, what is it with Doom players and exploration???!!?!?! Don't you people explore at least a little? I also love adventure games so I guess exploration is something I always like putting in a little... but seriously, they're not THAT hard too find (unlike Grove.wad. Sorry about that one)

'I agree with Lutrov about a berserk being needed. That chainsaw won't do much good against the onslaught of Hell Knights that follow the demons. Not to mention the Arachnatrons constantly shooting from their booths.'

Ahh, okay. There are 2 things you're forgetting. Number 1, you can use the arachanata... spiders to shoot at the demons and hell knights for you. I think that alone warrants not needing a beserk. Now, Number 2: There are 2 crosses on the ground at the 'entrance' to the hallways leading to the demon and hell knight teleport ambush. When you find the red key, these 2 crosses disappear, and the red key opens the door to the plasma gun, so its implying that you shouldn't cross without the plasma gun. Right?

'Detail wise this is one of the most unique maps I have ever seen and for the first time ever from your maps... it doesn't reduce my framerate! (Yeah I had to say it...) This map looks absolutely marvolus and I can't wait to see what happens once you get around to finishing it!'

Oh shucks. Thanks for the compliment. But, you know, I've made lots of maps rather than the frame-reducing horriblness of Nuts 1-3 which I persume your refering to. I also made DOOM2:2-THE TIME TRAVEL SAGA, baby!

Old Post 08-20-04 14:42 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

boris said:
Yes you can. And if you still didn't notice you can even edit your posts!

oooohhhhhh god. I always forget about that. What are you? The Chief of the Edit Post Police or something? :P

Old Post 08-20-04 14:45 #
boris
meow

No, I'm just a user who's annoyed by double posts ;)

Anyway, I'd like to have a look on the map too.

Old Post 08-20-04 14:50 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

Foofoo said:

There IS a chainsaw near the beginning. It's lying on a crate. You have to find it (what is it with Doom players and exploration ;) ? Don't you guys explore the places of Doom a bit?)

Yeah, I got the chainsaw, just make it a bit easier to find.

Old Post 08-20-04 15:01 #
cyber-menace

Actually I found the chainsaw before the shotgun.

By the sounds of things FooFoo/BPRD you have added lots of things to think about in your map. Most people would probably think those crosses are for detailing, not a clue towards something, also people don't usually think about in monster fighting very often if it is set up in that fashion.

There's one very bad thing about the 517 chaingunners... HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO MAX THIS LEVEL! A lot of people who will try to make MAX demoes of CC2 won't be pleased by the impossibility of it on this map.

Old Post 08-20-04 16:00 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

cyber-menace said:

By the sounds of things FooFoo/BPRD you have added lots of things to think about in your map. Most people would probably think those crosses are for detailing, not a clue towards something, also people don't usually think about in monster fighting very often if it is set up in that fashion.

There's one very bad thing about the 517 chaingunners... HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO MAX THIS LEVEL! A lot of people who will try to make MAX demoes of CC2 won't be pleased by the impossibility of it on this map.

hehe hey i just thought of something- put a secret switch somewhere that crushes all the reserve chaingunners. That'll fix it!

Old Post 08-20-04 16:04 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

cyber-menace said:

Well... it is a bit of a weird detail, right? Two crosses on the ground? If I saw it, I'd be inquisitive.

And that monster in-fighting thing doesn't have to happen. I'm just saying it helps if they did infight, but they don't have to. Just as long as you have the plasma gun. Or even the chaingun.

Old Post 08-20-04 16:11 #
cyber-menace

Foofoo said:
hehe hey i just thought of something- put a secret switch somewhere that crushes all the reserve chaingunners. That'll fix it!

*******!

Foofoo said:
Well... it is a bit of a weird detail, right? Two crosses on the ground? If I saw it, I'd be inquisitive.

And that monster in-fighting thing doesn't have to happen. I'm just saying it helps if they did infight, but they don't have to. Just as long as you have the plasma gun. Or even the chaingun.

Maybe, I'll try it for the next version to beta-test.

Old Post 08-20-04 19:55 #