Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Map24 v1.847somethingsomething...

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:27. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

i updated my Map24, for those of you complaining about the last version i sent out for playtesting. I THINK its possible to win it now. So either tell me you want it by either this thread or a PM and i'll send you the top secret link to it (its the same link as before. So you can just go and directly get it if i gave it to you last time)

I've changed one or two things architecturally and its now possible to do a 'MaxKill' thingy. I've left the shotgun and chainsaw where they were because i didn't have a problem with their placements(though some did, but i really can't see the problem in where they were)

Hopefully this'll be the last version before i send it to Cadman. At least half of it is beatable on the hardest difficulty. I say half because i kept bloody dying half way through (which had nothing to do with health and ammo btw) I added more ammo as what i guessed would be enough to finish the level off.

And please don't tell me to put health and ammo lying around as normal because, well, then the level just isn't as interesting. Also, i think Dron, told me that theres 2 slime trails- i only found 1.

again, sorry for the long posts!

Old Post 08-25-04 07:36 #
Foofoo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

And one more appology:
The file size for the wad is like 4.8 megs (1.6 Zipped). Sorry for this but the stupid bloody WinTex wasn't 'cleaning' my wad when i told it to. It SHOULD be 2.6 megs. Hopefully the 'cleaning' feature will work next time, after i restart my comp or something hopefully.

Old Post 08-25-04 09:43 #
Foofoo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

I might as well take another look at it. If I can beat it without cheating... then it is an acceptable difficulty.

Old Post 08-25-04 12:07 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

I don't consider 'slime trails' a bug because it's a glitch in the engine, not something a designer can always avoid.

I'd like to try the level. It's pretty important that it can be beaten though.

Old Post 08-26-04 18:51 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Use3D said:
I don't consider 'slime trails' a bug because it's a glitch in the engine, not something a designer can always avoid.

Since you can more or less work around it I'd consider it a mapping bug too. Personally I'd never release a map with a slime trail.

Old Post 08-26-04 20:30 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

My opinion on Slime Trails is that if they're big, I'll try to fix them, if not, then they're too small to bother.

Old Post 08-26-04 20:35 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Just did a quick run with nomonsters...Wow! sweet level, extremely creative and full of interesting shapes. The custom textures are really good. It did end rather suddenly, but there's not much that can be done about that (I only had the yellow key)
Saw some weird x-offsets here and there but overall the map looks great.

I'll do another run with monsters on and try out the gameplay in a few hours and post some more. Thanks for letting me play it!

Old Post 08-26-04 20:58 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

Heh, I see the monster count is basically the same, I also couldn't find the switch that destroys all the chaingunners and I only found 1 secret. Unfortunately for you however, I also found 2 bugs as I went through your level once more.

Near the beginning, where you push a switch to open some doors/windows that sick a bunch of chaingunners and arachnotrons on you... off to the right side of the right window... a line has the Gray4 texture when it should be the ashwall texture you've been using.

In the room with "slime-fountain" if you hop up on the ledge on the right side and look back towad the fountain, in one spot a Silver1 texture has been put in as a normal texture and it can be seen on one side and not the other.

I still like the map's detailing, but this will also likely be the most difficult map in CC2, unless somebody goes even more all out on the monsters.

Old Post 08-27-04 13:54 #
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

Maybe you could ask somebody to swap this map for map27, 27 or 29 Foofoo if it is that hard.

Old Post 08-28-04 01:02 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

its hard on the 'hard' difficulty, as it should be, but pathetically easy on the 'easy' difficulty though. Those chaingunners in the towers are instead lame troopers for god sake- but if Cadman (or whoever puts the whole thing together) wants to put my map in a later spot, like map 27 or 29, i really don't care at all.

I found the 'gray' texture and changed it to the ashwall one. I'm haven't found that 'normal' texture though. I'm on the case...

Old Post 08-28-04 03:20 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

Use3D said:

Saw some weird x-offsets here and there but overall the map looks great.

Well... does it really bother people to have weird X offsets? It shouldn't matter.

Oh and theres one BIG ASS problem i have with the map that i can't fix so maybe you kind souls could help me out- Theres a secret door which leads to the secret 'nose'. Now, this door is activated by a wall in one of those shawn-diamond hallways (the secret door is right next to the wall wich activates it). This switch does NOT work in Boom, hence the door does not open. It works in Zdoom though, but not Boom. WHY!?!?!??!?!??!

Old Post 08-28-04 03:24 #
Dron

Foofoo said:
This switch does NOT work in Boom, hence the door does not open. It works in Zdoom though, but not Boom. WHY!?!?!??!?!??!
were you making the map using a zdoom .cfg file or a doom .cfg file?

Old Post 08-28-04 03:30 #
Dron is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Amaster
Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair

Foofoo said:
This switch does NOT work in Boom, hence the door does not open. It works in Zdoom though, but not Boom. WHY!?!?!??!?!??!
Is there a second line with a trigger on it right in front of the switch? Some source ports, by default, dont allow "using" two lines at once.

Old Post 08-28-04 03:49 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

Amaster said:
Is there a second line with a trigger on it right in front of the switch?

Nope. Just a normal straight wall switch, like this in the editor:

X=========x====x========X

The wall between the 2 small 'x' is the switch.

Old Post 08-28-04 04:07 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

Dron said:
were you making the map using a zdoom .cfg file or a doom .cfg file?

I was making it in Windeu32 which doesn't have the ability to use .cfg files. I WAS, actually, for a few things, editing it slightly in WadAuthor, but i used a boom cfg file, not a zdoom one.

Old Post 08-28-04 04:09 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

Foofoo said:

Nope. Just a normal straight wall switch, like this in the editor:

X=========x====x========X

The wall between the 2 small 'x' is the switch.

Okay, but there ARE 2 2-sided lines infront of it- but they aren't switches or anything. Like this:

X=========x====x=======X
----------------------------------
----------------------------------

The '-----' are the 2-sided lines.

Old Post 08-28-04 04:13 #
Dron

um, sorry for backseat modding but you do know that there is an edit button right?

Old Post 08-28-04 04:24 #
Dron is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

Yes. Yes i do. I don't like it, but i know its there, thank you.

Old Post 08-28-04 04:30 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

another thing- the wall switch which activates the secret door has no switch texture on it (like SW1TECH or whatever). Its just a normal texture.

Old Post 08-28-04 04:34 #
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

Foofoo, every post by you in this thread is a double or triple post.

Old Post 08-28-04 08:15 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Set the "pass thru" flag of the lines before the activation line. But since WinDEU is so old it probably does not support it, so you'll have to use another editor.

And please stop double/triple-posting. It's annoying.

Old Post 08-28-04 08:57 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

It's also making a sever postcount++ for you... the only reason why there are 2 or higher posts in some of my topics are "bumps" to make sure nobody forgets or so I can try and remind people of what I need. Otherwise I use the EDIT button.

Remember, that SILVER1 texture is in the room with the fountain. By walking in through the main doors, it is the line just in front of the chaingunner's structure in the upper-right hand corner.

Old Post 08-28-04 14:35 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

cyber-menace said:
It's also making a sever postcount++ for you... the only reason why there are 2 or higher posts in some of my topics are "bumps" to make sure nobody forgets or so I can try and remind people of what I need. Otherwise I use the EDIT button.

Remember, that SILVER1 texture is in the room with the fountain. By walking in through the main doors, it is the line just in front of the chaingunner's structure in the upper-right hand corner.

Hey, whaddya know! I found the damn SILVER1 normal tex! Thanks for explaining it a little clearer! Thanks.

Sorry for the double/triple posts. I'll try to remember the 'edit' button. Also thanks Boris for the "pass-thru" flag idea. I'll give it a try.

Last edited by Foofoo on 08-29-04 at 18:06

Old Post 08-29-04 14:28 #
Cadman
I'm not supposed to be here...no really

Good work here guys, but keep it cool...:) October is right around the corner, 32 maps or not I release this thing.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Old Post 08-31-04 04:03 #
Cadman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote