Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Boom question

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:25. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Use3D
Forum Legend

I have a corridor, it leads into an area lit with red light. Coming out of the area into the normal hallway is fine, but entering to the red portion from the outside presents hall of mirrors at the linedef of the first red sector. There's no way around this is there?

I really don't want to use a texture there.

Last edited by Use3D on 08-27-04 at 02:57

Old Post 08-27-04 02:51 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

That's a bug in the deep water effect, sadly it's unfixable. Coloured light in Boom can only be used below the fake floor or above the fake ceiling, both of which run into HOM problems when viewed from the outside. The only place you can use it is in a pool of water or something else that you can only enter from above. (unless you make every sector have the deep water effect, and this is unworkable due to the sheer number of different sectors.

You could create a "deep water building" where the roof is the fake floor (put coloured light inside if you want), and have a door texture separating it from the outside. However you'd be able to walk through the door at will. (although this didn't stop Chris Lutz from using it in P:AR. I use them in SSD too, but with ZDoom I can make the door work normally)

Last edited by The Ultimate DooMer on 08-27-04 at 14:27

Old Post 08-27-04 14:21 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

The Ultimate DooMer said:
Coloured light in Boom can only be used below the fake floor or above the fake ceiling

That's simply not true. Have a look at this WAD: http://paci-fist.org/~boris/exwads/boomcolorsec.wad
I've tried it in prboom, Eternity and ZDoom (where Eternity handles it best).

Old Post 08-27-04 15:32 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Julian

boris said:
(where Eternity handles it best)

A-HA! :)

Old Post 08-27-04 15:36 #
Julian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Flange Peddler

As Boris said, this is possible. I did something like this in my CC2 map (the coloured section is actually completely enclosed in the final version, but I did some earlier tests where there was transition from coloured to normal lighting and I never remember seeing any HOMs).

All you do is put the middle texture as the name of the colourmap, not the upper or lower, and it gives that light colour to the middle section of the sector (not the faked floor or ceiling). So you can just have a dummy sector with the same floor and ceiling height properties of the sector in actual play and give one of the linedefs in it an appropriate sector tag and a middle texture of the colourmap you want to use. In fact there is obviously no need for a dummy sector at all, as the sector in actual play has the floor and ceiling height properties you want, so you can just use a linedef in the sector itself to tag itself. Although obviously you will have to use a double-sided linedef for this purpose, as a single sided linedef will obviously try to display the name of the colormap as a texture. It works fine with double-sided lines though.

It is a bit of a pain though. To get it to work properly, every sector you want to have coloured lighting in but which has some height variation needs to have it's own tag. I did this in my map and it ate about 100 tag numbers :P

If boom had a way of changing the colormap independent of the fake ceiling/floor tag things would be a lot easier.

Edit: And you can use this with any sector that moves too like doors, or floor/ceiling movers etc.

Last edited by The Flange Peddler on 08-27-04 at 17:18

Old Post 08-27-04 17:09 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

Interesting... I've never actually tried to make a colormap before for Boom, I've always used Zdoom's ACS to apply color...

Old Post 08-27-04 19:44 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Ok Flange Peddler and Boris, that was very helpful, but in the boomcolorsec.wad, the half of the room was not red before you walked into it. In my level I would like the player to see the red area from the normally lit area and then be able to walk into it with no HOM or texture breaks. Is this possible? I suppose I can do some tests.

The reason why I'm getting HOM I think is because my control sectors that have the 242 special are closed, total height of zero, colormap is used on the upper section of the linedef. Is this the wrong way to go about it? I noticed in boris' test map, he used colormap in middle texture and had a normally sized control sector, but the half of the room is not lit red until you cross the line.

Old Post 08-27-04 21:17 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Use3D said:
in the boomcolorsec.wad, the half of the room was not red before you walked into it. In my level I would like the player to see the red area from the normally lit area and then be able to walk into it with no HOM or texture breaks. Is this possible?

Unfortunately that's how it works. You can put textures with the translucent line special at the borders of the colored sectors. I.e. when you want to color a sector red, put a full red texture at the border of the sector. You can see an example of that in ffi_b.wad map06.

Use3D said:
The reason why I'm getting HOM I think is because my control sectors that have the 242 special are closed, total height of zero, colormap is used on the upper section of the linedef. Is this the wrong way to go about it? I noticed in boris' test map, he used colormap in middle texture and had a normally sized control sector, but the half of the room is not lit red until you cross the line.

You do it the wrong way, I do it the right way. It's normal that the pallete doesn't change until you walk into the sector. Look above for an solution.

Old Post 08-27-04 21:36 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote