Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Map21 can now be playtested.

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:54. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chopkinsca
Nothing

If you want to play it to help me out on anything I should do, PM me and I will send you the file link. Don't expect much though... I really need to get it finished before I do something like delete it, as I did to my website.

And for no reason, a very early version of the map is here
More of the level has been shown in screenshots on WIP than is in this zip.

Old Post 09-01-04 15:42 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

If there was more done, I would take a look. If it is at least done arcitecturaly I'll look at it. Otherwise, I'll wait a little longer.

Old Post 09-01-04 16:59 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

chopkinsca said:
Don't expect much though... I really need to get it finished before I do something like delete it, as I did to my website.

That's not very productive, but I would love to help.

Old Post 09-01-04 19:07 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chopkinsca
Nothing

cyber-menace said:
If there was more done, I would take a look. If it is at least done arcitecturaly I'll look at it. Otherwise, I'll wait a little longer.

I have the monster placement practically done for UV, and most of the architecture is done. I haven't exactly tested the health supplies. It is almost completely linear. I think I may have made it too difficult.
But yeah, I really hate my life, so I don't know.

Old Post 09-01-04 19:47 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

chopkinsca said:
I have the monster placement practically done for UV, and most of the architecture is done. I haven't exactly tested the health supplies. It is almost completely linear. I think I may have made it too difficult.
But yeah, I really hate my life, so I don't know.

Heh, I might as well take a look at it then. It seems you are still depressed, maybe you should meet up with Danarchy somewhere.

Old Post 09-01-04 22:11 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

I'll playtest.

Old Post 09-06-04 10:19 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chopkinsca
Nothing

Blah, I found out I need to make some adjustments so I will have to fix that up. I have no idea when it will be done though, I hope soon.
Sorry about that.

Old Post 09-06-04 16:31 #
cyber-menace

Okay, I just got through playing your wad. I used God Mode, but my computer was running extra slow at the time so I couldn't really judge anything to do with monsters. I'll try again later with them.

The arcitecture is incredible in this level. Everything in it looks quite nice, even the blandish mountains still reek of quality. There are mis-alignments absolutely everywhere, but like you said you have more work to do so it should be fine it the future. Good job!

Old Post 09-06-04 19:58 #
chopkinsca
Nothing

Now it is good to test this time. On UV only mind you. The link is still the same, so if you've saved it somewhere, then use that, otherwise ask for me to give it to you again.

Yeah... Thanks again and sorry for whatever I've done to cause delays and false hopes.

Old Post 09-19-04 21:55 #
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

Nice level.
The architecture was really great and followed my style of level which made this extra enjoyable. The view was really nice when in the outer areas of the map. Maybe you should have some more scenery around the place like trees in the grass areas, maybe some dead monsters lying around or bodies impaled on sticks. The music was good and suited the level as well, and was a bit chilling on occasions.
I like some effects you used like the doom.exe deep water effect, the cacodemons approaching you from behind mountains etc.
Now, the gameplay was quite difficult for map21, but Cadman clearly stated to make the level as difficult or as easy as you wanted, so I guess it's fine. Now, I counted at least 8 archvilles in this level. That's too much in my opinion. Maybe insert some barons instead of a few of them. I also recommend you insert a few more humans into the level. Not just commandos, maybe just a few former humans lying to increase the death rate because the level is full of monsters and they'd make it more of a fragfest.
I think you should also add some structures here and there in the outdoor areas to make dodging a bit more easier, instead of having to run around to the back of a mountain figure to dodge.
Oh, and I almost forgot. TEXTURE MISALLIGNMENTS! But I guess you already know that. :D

Overall, good level, I'm sure it will pay a large contribution to the megawad.

Old Post 09-20-04 01:46 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

Now that I've finally gotten a few mapping related things out of the way, I can finally playtest this again without God Mode. I'll post my results either today or tomorrow afternoon, it depends on my free time what with school and all.

Old Post 09-21-04 12:09 #
cyber-menace

*Bump* (sorry...)

I just got through playing the map on UV without cheats. I survived, but it was one difficult map. If I didn't find the BFG secret I would have been doomed.

Okay... time for comments.

As Lutrov71 already mentioned, there are tons of texture mis-alignments. Myself, I fix them as I go, others... they save them for last, either way it's still just fine.

Now this is a very difficult level, if I didn't act quick after a trap was activated I would have been clobbered. At one point, you grab the Blue key and a horde of monsters attack you, I saw a switch immediatly and pressed it to get the hell out of there. If I didn't see that, I wouldn't have stood a chance. This map is very deadly, but it is okay according to the CC2 rules, so I'm not complaining. In fact, the challenge kept me on the edge of my seat and having a great time.

Your detail is excellent, the map looks beautiful so I have no reason to complain. The mountains are a bit bland, but heck, they're mountains! That's what mountains are! (Except for Death Mountain hehehe...)

The ammo balance is pretty good, it is tight in one or two spots like at the beginning with the ravenants my shells were dropping very low, but it is still acceptable. I only ran out of Cell ammo and that was because I was BFGing Archies the big bad SpiderMasterMind (although he only takes two close range blasts).

Health, on the other hand, isn't balanced well enough. I found myself running around with 50% or less health for most of the level. Because of the big monsters, this is not good, because almost any of the monsters could kill me in one solid hit. I recommend either upgrading some stimpacks, or adding more health (and yes, I found the SoulSphere. It didn't last too long though...).

Traps, traps, traps, this map is all about traps. At least you make them creative on occasion and not the usual trap door, or floor lowering trap. You tend to trap people inside a restricted area and then start teleporting enemies in on them. The only problem is, just about everything is trapped. You get the last key and trap! You kill them, walk a little ways towards the exit, TRAP! Then after that you go kill the SpiderMasterMind and walk a little further down the mountain, GREAT BIG FINAL TRAP! I'm not saying it's a bad things, but maybe you could just teleport them in early so it isn't a trap, but more things to kill every once in awhile.

I didn't notice any actual errors so the map works perfectly.

Well now that I've given your map my throuough review... go finish it and give it to CadMan. I really had fun playing this map, good job chopkinsca!

Old Post 09-24-04 16:49 #
chopkinsca
Nothing

I should reply instead of making it seem that your playtesting was in vain.

I removed a large number of the archviles so now the ones that are still there, aren't too much of a nuisance. I also downsized some of the larger monsters with an equal challenge with smaller monsters.

There are now more rock structures laying around to give more places to hide behind when dodging fire.

I removed the revenants on the cliffs mostly because I hated them there. I think a slightly larger number of imps to replace them should work better.

I reduced some of the danger in some of the traps, and maybe removed the whole idea of being trapped as well. I'll have to see what I can do about some of the areas feeling too 'trappy'.

As for the texture alignments, I'm kind of in a state of fear for doing them because of the number of textures that need to be aligned. I will at least get it to a point where it isn't noticable unless you are looking for them, if I get lazy or run out of time. Really that is all that needs to be done anyway, except for some minor gameplay changes.

Thanks for the feedback you two, it has really helped me focus the level a bit further.

Old Post 10-12-04 02:14 #
Hirogen2

Looking through it tonight when I'm back from work.

Old Post 10-19-04 08:25 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chopkinsca
Nothing

I uploaded the version that I have now, so if you still have the link, you can try the near complete version. Only if you want to bother to help me fix the small things up such as slimetrails and where texture alignments are.

Hirogen2 said:
Looking through it tonight when I'm back from work.

That means you will need the link to the actual map, I'll send it to you via PM if you do want to test it.

Old Post 10-19-04 19:35 #
Arioch
not arioch

cyber-menace said:

Heh, I might as well take a look at it then. It seems you are still depressed, maybe you should meet up with Danarchy somewhere.

Cue roller pigeon line.

Old Post 10-19-04 19:44 #
Arioch is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hirogen2

Heh some hours before you PM'ed me I tested the "earlier" version... so you get two reviews in total then.

Here's for the old one:

(Scheme see MAP19 thread)

1. (none)

2a. Yay, it's themed NATURE. Even more impressive than all others so far reviewn. The view when the player starts especially captured me, good detail in terms of an extra sector for another lightlevel as well as different textures to represent different colors of grass and mud. There has also been spent a fair amount of sectors for height details. Shadows nicely fit into the scene (even though they require one sector only).

It makes me feel like I'm in an underground garden. Garden, not cave, but still with water.

2b. Subjective improvement requests:

• too many walls ("only where you actually can walk to" AND "lines longer than 256") have the GSTVINE1 (the green one) texture

3. Objective improvement requests:

• Y texture alignments

Final statement: Keep the monster density low so people will have time to look at the perfect construction of nature in all its detail.

I'll test the new one soon.

Old Post 10-19-04 21:21 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hirogen2

1. walk as lmp file

2a. It starts out with a mountain ridge and changes into a very detailed cave. There are few different textures, but they have been employed very well besides other archery. Gameplay also keeps you busy, and rarely got time to look at the architecture.

2b. Until you reach the caverns, ammo is too plenty.

3. I had a hard time finding the switch to get the red key, and finally gave up.

Other than that, there's nothing to spank about.

Old Post 10-20-04 19:04 #
chopkinsca
Nothing

Hirogen2 said:
Tested

One thing I didn't do yet was adjust the ammo for skill 2. I left it the same as the ammo I had placed for UV. I will have that changed in the final version.

As far as the locked doors that I had to control your direction in the main building, I have removed them. I think I also made the switches and where you need to go for the red key more noticable.

Thanks for the feedback, it has helped my out a lot.

Old Post 10-21-04 23:34 #
Hirogen2

>Thanks for the feedback, it has helped my out a lot.

When I go for a walk, there's always something that ends up as a resubmission. :)

Old Post 10-22-04 19:08 #