Cyberdemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > MAP17: playtesting results

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:35. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hirogen2

Poor you closed the other thread! :)

Here you go:

(Pre-warning: You got the longest review for today.)
I'm going by the scheme I posted in my MAP19 thread.

1. http://linux01.org:2222/cc/cc17je.lmp (zd 2.0.63a)

2a. A fairly challenging map; there is no room to develop a claustrophobie
because you (read: I) actually hide in the small hallways, rather than battling in them. Anyway, I got through it with some scratches (on Taggart), and it looks very promising. Ammo adjustments, texture alignment correction, texture-fit-question must be made.

I especially liked the group fights where there is only one or two types of
enemies in large quantity. There were not too much of them (like in Nuts)
which smoothes it out very well. (I like to trash Imps with the SG, you will
also find many in MAP19.) Switching a lot between SG/SSG and the involved
time delay makes the situation have a "shit-i-need-to-get-the-weapon-up-NOW"
feeling, commonly referred to as "frightening". Impressive.

And there's even these two guys at the end... our beloved Bruiser Brothers!

• To start with the super shotgun (SSG) while there are normal-shotgun (SG) enemies (like Imps) at the start is rather a waste of ammo. (Keep it. Heh.)
  • Health is perfect, keep it that way (despite me got blessed "a little")... Erik would say "ah that's easy", but probably just because he uses monsters' infighting while I am going "in".
  • Ammo could be improved. Sometimes I wanted to use the CG but lacked ammo, and most of the times I had maxed out the capacity of shells carryable.
  • The mancubi in the "2nd area" (where I am hiding a lot, near x=1240 y=900) are IMO at the wrongest spot you could ever put them. There is already Caco and Baron fireballs from left and right, and then also a Mancu fireball from the top gives you the rest; and I would rather not spend that much time hiding from the Mancubus fireballs.
  • The MIDGRATE (or what is it called? MIDBARS?) does not fit in the BRICK theme. For me it belongs to the E1/E2/SPACE category.
  • I also find the "skulls on BROWNGRN"-texture non fitting, BROWNGRN is E1/E2 (= far away from BRICK). I might suggest using only the skulls on a BRICK* background.
  • Weird red ceiling texture near the Arachnotrons. It does not fit to the MARBLE at all. (This ain't Heretic)

I did not find any secrets. Though I admit I did not search for them.

• Might throw in a little more detail. The dark-to-light sectors (in the area around the red key) could deserve another sector with a lightlevel inbetween.
  • Severe texture alignment problems (especially near steps and vertex-based round pillars), please correct.

Old Post 10-19-04 21:19 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Last call for map 17..Anyone else?

Old Post 10-22-04 22:09 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote