Cyberdemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > MAP01: testing results

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:49. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hirogen2

Hey don't you all close your threads!

MAP19 Scheme. Nuff said:

1. http://linux01.org:2222/cc/cc01je.lmp -- zd 2.0.63a

2a.
For my taste the monster threat (="action" in doom) was small, but that is, (may even must) hold true for a true and original MAP01. Health is just right, with a microflaw at the end (see below). Secrets are "marked" as such in classical E3 style (i.e. a candle), yet that may not always hold true for all walls. Has solid and linear gameplay.

I'm not sure whether I should rate the linear gp good or bad. Some people (read: most newstuffers) are more attracted by non-linear maps, players (like Erik, in reference to him playtesting my map :) seem to get lost a bit in MAP19's maze on the other hand. (Though, HE did not design MAP19 and thus did not know what to expect when he played it the first time.)

2b. I rarely lose any health (skill 3) so maybe a stimpack could be replaced by something less (health position or even nothing) in lower skill levels. The hell cave could host another monster for the berserk lasts until the end of the map. There could be a surprise when you pick up the red key. The surprise at the end of the map is predictable (armor-in-the-middle and lots'a doors around) and is easy to invade (see my LMP file), so I'd say less armor, less health at the end.

3. When I first looked at the texturing I thought "huh, E1 with sewer?", but I turned it and got "Sewer with BROWN1", with seemed ok. Now the nitpicks:

• some textures are unaligned (the default player will not notice, but anyway), see shots #0 and #1.
  • the BROWN1 texture has "two parts" as you can see in shot #2. In all of my maps, I split the linedefs accordingly so that the part with the more-intense-brown-with-green part is never shown so that it fits <stroke>well</stroke> better.

I used ZDoomGL to find texture offsets (only a few though, the rest is up to you :) and by chance discovered a sky bug, which effectively reduces to a missing texture in Software ZDoom. Please correct! (Shot #3, near the exit.)

shots for nits: #0 #1 #2 #3

Old Post 10-19-04 21:26 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Erik

Thanks. Bugs fixed and some enemies added.
Going to resubmit to cadman shortly unless something else pops up.

Old Post 10-19-04 22:00 #
Erik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote