Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > MAP02: playtesting results

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:24. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hirogen2

1. lmp file

2a. An E1 style map that comes very close to the Doom originals in all terms, gameplay, monsters, "actions"/secrets, detail. There are no major things I could complain about, nice work!

The ammo is, according to my run, nicely tight (skill 3) and you only have to use the pistol "on the edge", i.e. you soon get ammo again. Keep it that way.

2b. Subjective suggestions:

• Chaingunners in E1? Doom 1 never had Chaingunners! (Anyway, keep them, it fits.)
  • Revenant in E1? Doom 1 never had Revenenants! (Put a baron or two in there to compensate for the atmosphere.)
  • I find it meaningless to put health potions (1% health) on nukage (in one of the last rooms near the blue door). When you step on the nukage, you loose at least 5% and want to compensate that with 1%?
  • The stimpack which is on the same spot as the berserk pack, does not make sense. Berserk gives you 100% anyway. In the worst case, you first pick up the stimpack and then the berserk which is not that useful, because the berserk alone already gives you 100%
  • Same as I noticed with MAP01: the BROWN1 texture has two parts, a pale and a more saturated part, which both together don't mix very well IMO. You especially notice that with the lift switch (time position 12:21 in the demo)
  • The exit switch is too thick ;-) Should have been 8x32x+32 (width / height / sector height)

3. Objective improvements

• Don't have "upper unpegged" for doors. I've seen this with the "inner side" of the secret when I picked up the soulsphere. Not sure if it's outside too.

X. Taken the "rotating light" effect from P:AR e1m1? ;-)

Old Post 10-21-04 11:32 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
iori
#legacy bastard

Thanks for the critique!
I want to keep the cacos in, but i will replace the chaingunners and Rev *******ly, I didnt want them in the first place, but i was trying to make the map harder in a short amount of time.

Potions in the slime will go, they were left over from when that room was more like the big area at the start of e1m7.

Berzerk and stimpack: a difficulty setting error, the berserk is for easy, and ill replace the stimpack with a medkit for hard.

Exitswitch fixed, brown switch fixed too.

Upper unpegged soulsphere door fixed.

Cages removed at the end...looked stupid.

Lighting effect totally inspired from doom64, I had forgotten that it was in PA:R too... damn. I was originally planning the light to fade out after every pass, but I realized too late that there arent any generalized linedefs that fade light to neighbour, heh.

Ill resubmit the updated version to cadman tonight. :)

Last edited by iori on 10-22-04 at 03:10

Old Post 10-21-04 22:59 #
iori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hirogen2

>i was trying to make the map harder in a short amount of time.

Use a greater amount of monsters then.

>Lighting effect totally inspired from doom64, I had forgotten that it was in PA:R too... damn.

Doesnot matter. it's just one map out of 1000 that has a feature in common. Guess what the world would go crazy if I said "hey you have my 64x64 GATE4 teleporter sector"... or even "hey, you got my sidedef".
There's always something you can have in common with other wads, there's no real border between "general features" (as provided by the engine) and "my idea" (agglumeration of general features).

Old Post 10-22-04 19:13 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote