Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > The status and release of CC2
When should we release CC2?
Now (incomplete, with many filler maps)
Advent (much better, but maybe a few fillers)
Chrimbo (should be complete by then)
Whenever, as long as it\'s good.
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:02. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

With the project seriously incomplete, I think it would be best if the wad was kept back until a later date - either the Advent (Dec 1st) or Chrimbo itself (despite the fact it would clash with SSD). This would allow people struggling to finish their maps to do so, and anyone with a slot who's not contacted us within a few days or so can be thrown out and new people brought in to replace them.

It's just not ready at the moment, really. What do you think?

Old Post 10-31-04 13:34 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Flange Peddler

I don't get the impression that the project is 'seriously incomplete'. I think it's a lot closer to completion than that. Personally I am a bit apprehensive about putting in 'filler' maps, especially any that have been previously released (speaking of which how come I see a CC2 map in newstuff this week?). I think it would be good to find out exactly who is working on what, and then decide what to do with whatever is left over. If somebody doesn't reply as to the status of any incomplete maps (I think some people haven't said anything since signing up), then the slot should be given to somebody who will do the work. I do think it would be best if we can keep it to 1 map per person if we can, and I do think it should be a full megawad before it is released.

I don't actually agree with any of the options though. I certainly don't agree with 'whenever' - projects need deadlines. I think putting the deadline off a little is an idea. But not as long as Christmas. I was thinking just a matter of days or weeks to let people finish what they are doing (if the deadline is too far off people will just do nothing until a few days before as has already happened here...).

Last edited by The Flange Peddler on 10-31-04 at 14:10

Old Post 10-31-04 13:52 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

I think it should just be released once we have 32 maps, whether they be filler maps or not.

Old Post 10-31-04 14:45 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

I'd say it should be released as soon as possible, but with all 32 map. I didn't work my ass off to get my map finished just to see it be released in 2 months.

Old Post 10-31-04 15:45 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VolteFace

Well I didn't get to submitting the map last night like I planned but I am in the middle of finalizing it and stuff right now, which will bring us one map closer to release.

Frankly, I think December 1st is a good date to release. There shouldn't be any filler, but that's a month away and I think we should be able to get the rest of the maps in by then.

Old Post 10-31-04 17:34 #
VolteFace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheDarkArchon

I voted for when it's ready. If it feels rushed, it will damage the community here.

Old Post 10-31-04 18:55 #
TheDarkArchon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Linguica

Who gives a shit if it has 32 maps

I'll tell you though, I didn't stay up late working on my map so it could be delayed a month or two. I'll just upload it on my own, CC2 be damned.

Old Post 10-31-04 20:59 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cadman
I'm not supposed to be here...no really

Guys, I'm going to be double-checking my directories and make sure I update what maps I have this evening. I posted the start of this project at the end of December of last year! Everyone's had over 10 months to do at least 1 map and maybe 2. I think that's ample enough time don't you think?? Also, I'm not really fond of "filler" maps for this project. Everyone in this project took it upon themselves to volunteer for this project and many people have worked damn hard on their maps and got them in on time. When I update the list this evening I want everyone to check it and make sure your map is there and if it's not get it to me ASAP! This project may be a day or two late but I'm not going to delay it another month or two! Here's what I need because I'm going to release this project on Wednesday to the community.

*The graphics, just like last time in WAD format please. If there are no graphics then everyone will just see the standard Doom2 stuff.

*If I am missing maps then I'm going to move everyone's maps up in order to fill those slots so we don't get any standard Doom2 maps between your maps. I won't jumble the order guys, just going to move everything up to fill in the slots.

*I will make a preliminary test build for tuesday night and setup an ftp server for the team where you can d/l the thing and playtest it. It's gotta work right? :) For the ftp server, you must e-mail me Tuesday evening and I will give you the user ID and password needed to access the file.

*Wednesday night will be release night. That's the 3rd of November.

It's been 10 months guys. I have a real life as well, married with kids and I've made 6 deathmatch levels and 4 coop levels (yet to be released) and I'm not even the fastest mapper around...heh!

Wednesday night is release night!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Old Post 10-31-04 22:15 #
Cadman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Szymanski

Release now, no filler. I'd rather have 10 great maps than 15 good maps and 17 shite/old maps.

Old Post 10-31-04 22:18 #
Szymanski is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Flange Peddler

Cadman said:
If I am missing maps then I'm going to move everyone's maps up in order to fill those slots so we don't get any standard Doom2 maps between your maps. I won't jumble the order guys, just going to move everything up to fill in the slots.

You may have to. My map won't work properly on anything but level 7. And you may have to change a few about to get the exits to secret levels working right too.

Personally I'd rather see 32 maps, and I don't see anything wrong with 'filler' maps either. Depending on what definition of 'filler' you use. I don't like the idea of there being previously released maps just chucked in, or maps that have been quickly thrown together in 10 minutes. BUT I don't see anything wrong in including some unreleased maps people might have that are just sitting completed on their hard drive (and I'm sure there's quite a few of those about).

Everything else I agree with.

Last edited by The Flange Peddler on 10-31-04 at 22:27

Old Post 10-31-04 22:21 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

Basically:

Map07 and Map15 have to stay the same as do Map31 and Map32 in order for the whole thing to function. Now question is... how do we get the thing to end at Map20something without resorting to ZDoom?

Old Post 10-31-04 22:27 #
cyber-menace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Szymanski

cyber-menace said:
Now question is... how do we get the thing to end at Map20something without resorting to ZDoom?

Do you have to have a map30 style ending?, assuming there is a map 30.

Old Post 10-31-04 22:37 #
Szymanski is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

cyber-menace said:
how do we get the thing to end at Map20something without resorting to ZDoom?
Hey, what about selecting Quit from the menu at the tally screen after the last map?

Old Post 10-31-04 22:51 #
myk is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

The project may just have to be released as-is. At least my portion is done, and I'm thrilled about that.

Old Post 10-31-04 23:08 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

If we move the map slots down and use only 21 or so maps, somebody will have to change the levels in an editor and change the music in maps that have custom music.
Also, I'm working on a credit screen so I need somebody to give me an OFFICIAL list of mappers and people who have made graphics.

Old Post 10-31-04 23:40 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer

Cadman said:
Also, I'm not really fond of "filler" maps for this project.

Yeah, but the Blind Alley maps are pretty good stuff...they did well enough for CC1 so why not plug the gaps with them again, especially if there's only a handful of empty slots? (there's enough of them left, as I mentioned in the email I sent)

Old Post 11-01-04 00:32 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

What are the blind alley maps?

Old Post 11-01-04 00:55 #
Lutrov71 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cadman
I'm not supposed to be here...no really

You have a good point for using filler maps. The problem of course is the maps that get you into the secret levels. Hard to change that, I agree. I'll tell you what...I'll give those people that have maps left to submit until 6:00 p.m. my time tuesday November 2, which is eastern standard time here in the USA. After that I will utilize filler maps to polish off the megawad and then I will setup the ftp server for the playtest part. I will notify the team tuesday night here on the forums when it's ready. I'll go with that...

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Old Post 11-01-04 01:21 #
Cadman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Flange Peddler

What filler maps are you intending on using? I mentioned before that I have 2 more maps I could contribute, assuming nobody minds.

The first I was thinking of is the map I did for this old contest by Sarge Baldy. I guess to some degree it has been previously released, but never 'officially' (it never made it into the archives). Personally I'd love to see the map put to good use, but it's up to whatever everybody else thinks.

The second is the map I did for the cancelled Doom Enigma project. The map has been sitting on my hard drive for a while now. I'm guessing there must be plenty of other maps from other 'cancelled' projects that could be put to good use here too.

But anyway, I don't mind either way, it's up to what everybody else thinks.

Old Post 11-01-04 01:35 #
The Ultimate DooMer

Lutrov71 said:
What are the blind alley maps?

They're a bunch of small/medium maps with a heavy focus on fast, flowing gameplay. Not that detailed, but great fun and good for demo recording. Type "bndaly" into the idgames database search and you'll see.

Old Post 11-01-04 02:19 #
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

Hmmn. There is an author named Kurt Kesler who has a collection of his wads here. http://www.fidnet.com/~kesler/zips/k_maps.zip

There are 42 maps, with about 11 specifically made for Boom. With permission, you could ask him if we can use some of his Boom maps for the project. They are of better quality than the Blind Alley maps.

Old Post 11-01-04 04:02 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

yeesh some people are slow around here. I started my one late and it took me so damn long to make it and STILL I was able to send it in August.

Old Post 11-01-04 05:19 #
Foofoo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Flange Peddler

I think it would be better to get 'filler' wads from a variety of different authors. Having 2 thirds of the project written by individuals then suddenly 10 maps by the same person would be a bit lame in my opinion.

Old Post 11-01-04 11:02 #
Foofoo
I AM B.P.R.D.

i agree with the Peddler.

Old Post 11-01-04 11:08 #
Foofoo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lutrov71
That 1024 guy

I have a map called Thematic Elements that could be a filler. It's pretty hard though.

Old Post 11-01-04 11:35 #
cyber-menace

Remember, the maps can be as easy or as hard as you like, so it would fit in anyway. He'd just make it the filler for the latest map in the wad or something...

Old Post 11-01-04 19:25 #
Hirogen2

Now, but with *no fillers*. And of course, for the same reason as boris:

boris said:
I didn't work my ass off to get my map finished just to see it be released in 2 months.

Old Post 11-02-04 07:26 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

cyber-menace said:
how do we get the thing to end at Map20something without resorting to ZDoom?

Use the transitional text after Map20 as end text and go to a small black box with nothing to do.

Old Post 11-02-04 13:42 #
Graf Zahl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

BTW, if you have any use for a small map at the start of this thing, feel free to use this:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11965

Even though I already released it I think it's better suited for the beginning of a larger episode.

Old Post 11-02-04 13:46 #
Graf Zahl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cyber-menace

Graf Zahl said:
Use the transitional text after Map20 as end text and go to a small black box with nothing to do.

Heh, good idea, but it's not a concern anymore because CadMan is just going to use filler maps.

Old Post 11-02-04 21:19 #