Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Resource wad?
Resource wad?
Yes
Yes, but only for decorate stuff
No
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:13. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Rather than everyone put their own resources in as they go along, what do you think about composing a resource wad to allow everyone to use everyone else's graphics, monsters and scenery?

Obviously a naming convention would have to come in if this did go ahead, so I'd suggest something like this:

Textures/flats: xx000000 (xx = map number)
Monsters: 3xx00 (xx = map number)
Scenery: 2xx00 (xx = map number)

And of course there'd have to be a deadline for everyone to finish their resources and send them in to be compiled. (a couple of weeks maybe?)

Old Post 04-22-05 16:35 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
exl
Personal Test Dummy

Don't most people make their map's resources as they go along?

Old Post 04-22-05 16:50 #
exl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Flange Peddler

I'm not part of the project (still thinking about it), but this sounds like a good idea. I would also suggest some voting or concensus on what new materials are allowed in. Especially with regards to monsters, otherwise I have a feeling you'll end up with a zillion different lame monsters, each with twice the hitpoints of a cyberdemon and the ability to fire rockets/plasma/a zillion fireballs at once (I think I've already seen pictures of a BFG-wielding Hitler...).

It'll also help weed out redundant data, especially with regards to textures. I'm guessing you'll see the same textures from different resource packs cropping up again and again. There's no point in having them in the .wad multiple times with slightly different names depending on what map they're used in.

Having everyone use each other's resources will also allow for some consistency through the levels too (something I have a feeling is gonna be lacking here even more so than in previous CCs...).

Old Post 04-22-05 16:54 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
zark
is more awesome than Ralphis

I make my resources as I go along... I can't anticipate every texture I'll need before I make my map.

Old Post 04-22-05 18:32 #
zark is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMAD
Bitcoin IS a religion.

Same here. In fact, I made a new texture for my map just 2 hours ago.

The naming convention is good in theory, but problematic in that we don't know what our final map slots are. That means when the map order has been decided, we'll have to rename all our custom resources.

Old Post 04-22-05 19:05 #
DooMAD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Bloodskull
Reputation is a bubble which a man bursts when he tries to blow it for himself.

I wouldn't mind being able to use some custom tex's and flats, althought I only use original textures and flats in my wads( with the exception of Doom1/Doom2 removed and added textures, colored original textures and flats, and rotated textures like support3 going vertically instead of horizontally). The scenery items Doom holds isnt very atmospheric so I'd have to agree that scenery should be allowed.

Old Post 04-22-05 19:38 #
Bloodskull is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cyb

Ling has already said that mappers can add their own resources. A naming convention has yet to be decided on, but as long as you do something like prefix all of your resources with your name (or initials) or map# or something it should be okay. Don't replace any resources that exist in doom2.wad

Old Post 04-22-05 19:49 #
Cyb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mista T
Warming Up

That's what I've been doing so far. All of my textures/flats are prefixed with "MT", with the exception of the patches making up the sky (ever-so-slightly lifted from TNT).

Old Post 05-25-05 19:10 #
Mista T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote