Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Type of Project
Which Shall It Be?
This poll is closed.
Zdoom maps 4 17.39%
Boom/Old school maps 10 43.48%
Don`t Care, either will do 3 13.04%
plain DOOM II format, but limitless 6 26.09%
Total: 23 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:15. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Aleaver
Can't spll

This thread is to make the final choice as to what this project will be. In the maps thread a sort of Anti-Zdoom vibe has come about. I personaly don't care. Zdoom or Boom compaitible maps don't make a difference to me. So I voted 3. But I do want to give everybody (even people not working on the project) a chance to choose. Like the project title says Community Chest 3.

Ok so lets see where this leads us...VOTE VOTE VOTE

Edit: Poll updated with 4th option: ( plain DOOM II format, but limitless ) Thanks to Bloodshedder for the fix!

Last edited by Aleaver on 06-25-06 at 02:04

Old Post 06-24-06 23:47 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

I'd vote plain DOOM II format, but limitless (either so as to be able to use Doom2+, or to record v1.9 demos using PrBoom), but you didn't list that option.

Old Post 06-25-06 00:00 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

myk said:
I'd vote plain DOOM II format, but limitless (either so as to be able to use Doom2+, or to record v1.9 demos using PrBoom), but you didn't list that option.

same here, so far my map has been created using the regular doom 2 format. of course i could easily get the required port, if need be.

Last edited by Shadow Dweller on 06-25-06 at 00:59

Old Post 06-25-06 00:49 #
Shadow Dweller is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Shadow Dweller said:

so far my map has been created using the regular doom 2 format.

So has mine.

Old Post 06-25-06 00:58 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

I prefer plain doom2 format if the project was for this id join.

Old Post 06-25-06 01:01 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
XXoXX

Yep, agreed. Doom2/Boom is better IMO. More ports can play the wad too.

EDIT: BTW, my map is in vanilla doom.

Last edited by XXoXX on 06-25-06 at 07:55

Old Post 06-25-06 03:41 #
XXoXX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MTrop

I've already made a map for (old) CC3, and that one's ZDoom. But if we vote ZDoom, we have to limit what we can use, as far as its features are concerned.

Old Post 06-25-06 19:49 #
MTrop is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tango

I agree with everyone else.

Old Post 06-25-06 20:57 #
Tango is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

So far...its leaning towards Doom 2 or Boom compatible, 5 votes to 3. (Minus the 3 votes for don't care/either way cause they count for all) But its still alittle early. So Keep on voteing!

Old Post 06-26-06 00:11 #
Torn
google is your master

I'd prefer Prboom

Old Post 06-26-06 10:06 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Well looks like Boom/Old school maps are in the lead.. To clarify: that is basicly saying the project would be like the first two CC projects.

Old Post 06-26-06 17:28 #
Use3D
Forum Legend

yay if Boom wins I'm in!

Old Post 06-26-06 20:36 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Flange Peddler

If it's boom compatible I wouldn't mind making a map for it.

As I've said before in this forum, I think the main aim for a potential CC3 shouldn't be to make a boom/zdoom/whatever compatible wad, but rather to aim to make a cohesive megawad with good progression. The previous CCs have all felt like a bunch of maps just slapped together, and I think that could be easily avoided with a bit of forward planning. I think this would make CC3 stand out form the two previous efforts, irrespective of whether or not some maps have fancy (zdoom) 'features'.

Old Post 06-27-06 12:01 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

The Flange Peddler said:
I think this would make CC3 stand out form the two previous efforts, irrespective of whether or not some maps have fancy (zdoom) 'features'.
For all the consistency one might have to stop and load a different engine after a certain map in that case. That's worse than an aesthetic or playing style inconsistency between some maps, and would also likely extend the development time.

I'd say that in a project like this the fact that the maps are in the same wad has more to do with offerring them all together as a community effort than a consistency between each, and the best way to play them is one by one. Thus what engine the maps are for doesn't necessarily matter that much, though defining some parameters might help the designers or the would be players decide to participate or play.

Old Post 06-27-06 14:58 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Flange Peddler

I think I worded that post badly, I definitely don't think people should have to switch engine half way through the wad. Some people (understandably) think that a natural progression from CC2 would be to create a CC3 with zdoom support. I think another (and personally I think better) way of extending the CC idea is, instead of adding more 'features', is to instead try and make the mapset more cohesive overall.

I think having some cohesion and progression would make CC3 more than simply a replication of the two previous projects, without having to resort to including zdoom features (which the vast majority of people simply probably won't use anyway).

Last edited by The Flange Peddler on 06-27-06 at 15:25

Old Post 06-27-06 15:17 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chopkinsca
Nothing

I like the lack of progression in the maps, makes the name 'community chest' an apt one. Having a non-consistant theme gives it more of a set of maps the community put together. Having a progression would take away some of the individuality that is the main theme of the project.

On the main topic, I voted for boom compatible. Leave ZDoom maps up to people working on specifc projects. Besides, we could always use some more boom maps.

Old Post 06-27-06 15:52 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMAD
Bitcoin IS a religion.

It's nice to see the project making a comeback, but sadly it looks like my existing zdoom map is no longer compatible. I'd like to contribute, but I'm already swamped in unfinished projects and haven't been mapping much lately anyway.

Old Post 06-27-06 17:30 #
DooMAD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Ok everyone who has a map or wants to do one..Please hop on over to the maps thread with a map # and if possible a name for the map, and I'll update accordingly.

Old Post 06-27-06 21:17 #
chopkinsca
Nothing

DooMAD said:
It's nice to see the project making a comeback, but sadly it looks like my existing zdoom map is no longer compatible.

How much of it is things that are absolutely needed and also can't be done with voodoo scripting?

Old Post 06-28-06 00:52 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMAD
Bitcoin IS a religion.

chopkinsca said:
How much of it is things that are absolutely needed and also can't be done with voodoo scripting?

A considerable chunk of the architecture is based on slopes and there's a bit of ACS for changing sector heights, triggering linetypes and activating a teleport after a certain monster is killed. It would be quicker for me just to start a new map, but that's unlikely to happen at the moment, heh.

Old Post 06-28-06 17:28 #
DooMAD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Well it looks to me, Boom compatible maps have won the roost. So its offical. CC 3 is a Boom project. Just like the first two. Thanks to all whom casted there votes!

Old Post 06-29-06 04:10 #