Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > MAP06 "Foregone Destruction" (Finished!!!)
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:13. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tormentor667

Now that I have finished KDiZD and that I have to wait for some tasks to be finished with UTNT, expect me to finally start with that map and finish it within the next 3 weeks... well I try my best actually. I hope the deadline isn't too early now :( Beyond, any chance of moving to MAP06 insteatd of MAP27? Would be greatly appreciated!

Download:
(removed)
Please tell me about Bugs and Problems!

Last edited by Tormentor667 on 06-11-07 at 23:48

Old Post 06-09-07 16:32 #
Tormentor667 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Hoorah!

Old Post 06-09-07 19:42 #
Use3D is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Done. You now have map 06. Map 27 is now open.

Last edited by Aleaver on 06-11-07 at 01:33

Old Post 06-09-07 20:11 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tormentor667

Thx man! :) Screenshot as a proof:
http://i10.tinypic.com/6aytnjp.jpg

Old Post 06-10-07 14:15 #
Tormentor667 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Hey Tormentor is doing an map im boom format :p I think I've never seen an boom map from you.

Screenie looks nice.

Old Post 06-10-07 15:08 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tormentor667

I even never did one for Boom so... just as you I am quite curious how this will turn out :P BTW: How can I assign a special sky texture to my map?

Old Post 06-10-07 15:12 #
The Flange Peddler

Linedef special 271 transfers an upper texture to sectors assigned with the same sector tag, assuming those sectors also have the standard F_SKY1 texture as their ceiling flat (it's under the 'transfer' submenu in the linedef actions menu in doom builder). You have to tag all the sectors you want with the new sky, so it might be a bit of a pain if you have lots of outdoor areas.

It's also technically not a boom feature but comes from mbf (or something), but I think the latest versions of boom, and most boom compatible ports, support it. It won't make anything crash either way. If the port doesn't support the feature it'll just show the default sky.

Old Post 06-10-07 15:24 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

We still need to replace the originals with custom ones its not being discussed much as far as I know, is there anybody who has got some good skies we could use?

Old Post 06-10-07 15:32 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tormentor667

http://i7.tinypic.com/6btkrhl.jpg
Working and thx for the sky explanations but now when I am mapping, I just feel limited by the Boom engine :( I have so many ideas for several settings but I can't do much of that just because Boom isn't capable of some things I have in mind :( Nevertheless, I will continue and try to make this piece quite interesting ;)

Old Post 06-10-07 16:03 #
Grazza
=/-

The Flange Peddler said:
It's also technically not a boom feature but comes from mbf (or something), but I think the latest versions of boom, and most boom compatible ports, support it. It won't make anything crash either way. If the port doesn't support the feature it'll just show the default sky.
Yes, it is an MBF feature. The latest version of Boom is Boom 2.02, and that doesn't support it (naturally, being before MBF).

But your basic sentiment is more or less correct: some Boom-compatible ports support it, while most of those that don't will ignore it. Though there are some versions of the regular prboom that screw it up in GL mode (this has been fixed in prboom-plus; not sure if or when that fix got fed back into the regular prboom).

Old Post 06-10-07 16:12 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Flange Peddler

Tormentor667 said:
I have so many ideas for several settings but I can't do much of that just because Boom isn't capable of some things I have in mind :(

What sorts of things were you thinking of? Obviously you can't have the zdoom effects that enhance the environment in different ways (slopes, portals, ambient sounds and new decorate things etc.), but to be honest I think quite a lot of the scripted gameplay features you might find in zdoom, you can pretty much mimmick to some degree using voodooo dolls and conveyor belts (e.g. events requiring multiple switches, having a switch do multiple things, getting monsters to spawn in areas you have to backtrack through etc.).

Old Post 06-10-07 16:14 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

I can't seem to find an tutorial on linedef action 271 I can't get it to work, any help would be appreciated or if you know an map which uses this trick it would be all the help I need I just need an little push in the right direction.

Old Post 06-10-07 16:26 #
Tormentor667

Enhanced area in shot 2 with new sky and new textures. Port is GZDoom:
http://i14.tinypic.com/4veqwpg.jpg

@Flange - Well that actually seems to be a big problem for me right now as I am absolutely new to Boom :) Sure, some can be made by convoyer belts and tricks but that's something I have never done before and therefore I have lots of stuff to read through before I actually know how things are working and that means "time++" ;(
Do you have maybe a site with "boom tricks"?!

Old Post 06-10-07 16:36 #
The Flange Peddler

There's a page of boom tricks here at doomworld. It's quite an old page, and I can't remember how easy the instructions are to follow.

For some helpful wads, Nightmare made a wad with some boom tricks which you can download from here, and teamtnt also made one themselves showcasing a number of the new effects, which you can get here.

Some of the levels in CC2 used quite a few boom specials. I know I put some in one of my maps (map 07), and I seem to remember boris putting loads in map 29. I'm sure there are others in the map pack as well that use boom tricks to differing degrees. And as a final bit of self promotion, I also used a fair amount of conveyor belt scripting in ic2005.

Old Post 06-10-07 16:51 #
Tormentor667

Great, thx alot, these are all quite helpful :)

*EDIT*
Great, those tricks gave my a quite good boost for my motivation :) Working on my map again, adding rooms and rooms, even a music is already chosen ;) Thx for the help guys!

Last edited by Tormentor667 on 06-10-07 at 17:30

Old Post 06-10-07 16:57 #
Use3D
Forum Legend

The Flange Peddler said:
You have to tag all the sectors you want with the new sky, so it might be a bit of a pain if you have lots of outdoor areas.

I dont use a tag with this special, unless the sky is being transferred over a sector that's is outdoors and tagged somewhere else. Otherwise I just use a tag of 0 and it works.

Old Post 06-10-07 18:52 #
Use3D is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tormentor667

@Use3D - Thx, better solution!

Old Post 06-10-07 19:32 #
Tormentor667

Some new shots and map has a title. First shot is WIP, second and third shots are done.
http://i11.tinypic.com/52p45dy.jpg
http://i11.tinypic.com/4r1jv3s.jpg
http://i16.tinypic.com/4pobdr9.jpg

BTW: How can I scroll a texture downwards?!

Last edited by Tormentor667 on 06-11-07 at 01:39

Old Post 06-11-07 01:26 #
Aleaver
Can't spll

Sweeeeeeeeet looking map man... :) Props!!!

Old Post 06-11-07 01:39 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tormentor667

Thx alot Andy :)

Old Post 06-11-07 01:55 #
Dr. Zin

Tormentor667 said:
BTW: How can I scroll a texture downwards?!

Use linedef action 255. The texture offset determines the speed of the scrolling. Unfortunately you can't really align the texture using this method.

Old Post 06-11-07 01:57 #
Dr. Zin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tormentor667

Thx Zin, that helped!

Little Overview:
Finished: 40%
Size: ~700 Sectors, ~7500 Sides, ~4400 Lines, ~800kb

...and now it's time for some sleep... *eyes hurt bad*

Last edited by Tormentor667 on 06-11-07 at 02:46

Old Post 06-11-07 02:20 #
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Looking nice so far! Keep it up, man.

BTW: Do you mean "Foregone Destruction?" ;)

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Old Post 06-11-07 02:46 #
The Green Herring is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tormentor667

Oh yes, indeed .. little typo ;)

Old Post 06-11-07 10:36 #
Tormentor667

New shots, I'm almost done:
http://i19.tinypic.com/6f6u8e9.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/5254yl5.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/53yizuv.jpg

Old Post 06-11-07 14:06 #
Tormentor667

Finished:
*removed*

Let me know if you find any bugs or other problems so that I can fix it ;)

Last edited by Tormentor667 on 06-11-07 at 21:29

Old Post 06-11-07 21:10 #
Use3D
Forum Legend

Don't put up a link, only let team members test it!

Old Post 06-11-07 21:16 #
Scuba Steve

Muahaha

/me snags before link is nerfed

Old Post 06-11-07 21:25 #
Scuba Steve is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tormentor667

Sorry, didn't know, just send Andy the link ;)

Old Post 06-11-07 21:29 #
Aleaver
Can't spll

Tormentor667 said:
Sorry, didn't know, just send Andy the link ;)

umm...?
your top post still has the link...

For future referance.

Last edited by Aleaver on 06-11-07 at 21:46

Old Post 06-11-07 21:37 #