Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Community Chest 3 Compilation Progress Thread
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:22. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Hello! I'm the one who volunteered to compile Community Chest 3, alongside Use3d. If you're wondering what's happening to Community Chest 3, here's a thread dedicated to our current progress on the compilation of the project. Without further ado...

Graphics:
All in, including Tormentor's updated CREDIT image.
Music:
Custom music does not exist for MAP03, MAP13, MAP21, and MAP24. If the authors want to suggest any songs they want to be used for these levels, feel free to post!
(10/02/2007 10:09 PM PDT) MAP09 will not have custom music, as the author prefers the default song.
(10/26/2007 1:22 PM PDT) MAP18 will not have custom music, either, as the author prefers the default song.
Levels:
All in, although I'm reworking MAP32 at the moment, so beta-testing will have to wait until my rework is done. Apart from that, most of us have done a great job; only two maps, so far, have had to receive an extensive amount of changes. Here's the current changelog...

MAP02: Ion Storm -
  • Relocated a deathmatch start that was placed inside of an Imp. (Y'know, just in case you decide to deathmatch with monsters enabled or something. :P )

MAP03: Mineopoly -
  • Removed a 3D Mode Start that got left in the level.
  • Changed the step-lowering switch in the blue key area by 1) moving it to the nearby wall, and 2) creating a "script" using a voodoo doll and conveyor belt, which causes the switch to appear after you raise the steps, and the switch to be closed off when you flip it. Previously, not only was it possible to flip the switch while it was "hidden" in the floor (switches can be triggered regardless of your Z position,) but it was also possible to flip it repeatedly... and to block your progress through the level before getting the blue key by flipping it twice.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented you from opening the red keycard door even with the keycard on your person, as the door linedefs were set as "switch repeatable" instead of "door repeatable," despite the linedefs and sector having no tags. (Only ZDoom allows you to make working doors that way.)
  • Also fixed the door into the hallway with the exit, which you could not open because it was another untagged "switch repeatable" door.
  • Changed the yellow tech door into a generalized, yellow keycard door. Previously, grabbing the yellow skull was all that was needed to open that door, meaning you didn't need the yellow keycard at all!
  • Removed broken one-sided linedefs in the yellow keycard area, and recreated the pole they were presumably intended to be.
  • Fixed two pairs of unclosed sectors -- one in the eastern machinery area, and another in the southern blood cavern.
  • Added teleporters in the southern blood cavern, so that you can escape to safety if you've fallen into the pits.
  • Added Deathmatch starts that were not present in the original map.
  • Fixed doortracks that were not unpegged.
  • (10/26/2007 8:05 PM PDT) You can no longer flip the stair-raising switch multiple times, which would block any further progress. This occurred because the wall that blocks the switch didn't cover it completely, as the floor and ceiling of the dummy sector used to make it happen were exactly one map unit apart. They are now the same height, and the switch is now entirely covered.
  • (10/26/2007 8:05 PM PDT) It is no longer possible to grab the blue skull key prior to enabling access to it.
  • (11/19/2007 8:25 PM PST) Fixed a ZDoom-exclusive texture alignment error in the building where you find the yellow skull key.

MAP04: UAC Checkpoint -
  • Pared the graphics resources included with this level and MAP05 down to only the ones that are used. Friends don't let friends throw entire texture packs in their PWADs.

MAP05: Living Hell -
  • Pared the graphics resources included with this level and MAP04 down to only the ones that are used. Friends don't let friends throw entire texture packs in their PWADs.
  • Moved a few Things to prevent monsters from being glued together, as well as a cooperative-only Arch-Vile stuck in a pillar in the southeast of the map.
  • (11/04/2007 1:58 PM PST) The way the conveyor belt monster teleporters for the blue skull room work has been changed; they are now more like my zombieman teleporters in MAP15. Their previous design caused several monsters to get stuck outside of the map due to them failing to teleport (into the room or back where they started,) preventing 100% Kills from being attained.

MAP06: Foregone Destruction -
  • Fixed an unclosed sector in the red skull area.

MAP07: Simple Complex -
  • (10/16/2007 11:39 PM PDT) Linedef 1343 (a walkover linedef opening bars near the blue card) has been set as PassThru. Previously, it wasn't, which blocked you from opening the door directly south of it, preventing you from leaving the central part of the map to get the blue card.

MAP08: Impure Liquids -
  • A new map. If you're wondering what happened to beanenator's entry ("special surpise inside",) we removed it because it was one of the worst maps we ever played, and there was nothing about it that we could salvage. This map was designed by Andy Leaver, and I subsequently reworked it to add detail and some gameplay changes.

MAP09: As the Doctor Sleeps -
  • Moved a mancubus stuck inside one of the walls of its storage box, meaning it can now actually warp into the map.
  • (10/1/2007 4:33 PM PDT) Properly added the custom sky, through the sky transfer action special. (Only works in ZDoom and MBF-based ports, naturally.)

MAP10: Atlantis Rising -
  • Co-op and deathmatch starts added as per the author's request.

MAP11: The Grieving Outpost -
  • Added Deathmatch starts that were not present in the original map.

MAP12: Black Rain -
  • Removed the entire exit room; the level now exits when you step in the teleporter behind the skull bars. This is because the level went over Boom's 32768 segs limit, and, sadly, that was the only way I could get the map's seg count below that limit without disrupting gameplay. It's a very huge map either way...
  • (11/05/2007 6:05 PM PST) Fixed a HOM that occurred when you activated the lift east of the acid river leading to the red skull key area, caused by two sectors that are identical in every way except for size not joined together.
  • (11/05/2007 6:05 PM PST) Fixed another case of a special line blocking something vital -- in this case, the lift-activating switch behind the red keycard door, blocked by a second locked-door action placed on the back side of the door, which you can't access in the first place. This action has been removed, and the switch is now accessible.
  • (11/05/2007 6:05 PM PST) Fixed a stuck Baron of Hell found after acquiring the blue keycard.
  • (11/05/2007 6:05 PM PST) Altered an incredibly bizarre secret found south of the train that contained nothing except for a single health bonus. It is now a soul sphere.
  • (11/05/2007 6:05 PM PST) The SS Nazis and Commander Keens have been replaced with different monsters.

MAP13: Welcome to the Machine -
  • Fixed an unclosed sector.
  • (10/6/2007 3:37 AM PDT) Removed a superfluous secret (a pair of lights in a room that is already marked as secret and can be entered.)
  • (11/17/2007 4:58 PM PST) Replaced a texture that stood out from the others around it due to not being the same color.

MAP14: Mountains and Mortar -
  • Removed no less than three 3D Mode Starts left in the level. What in the world?
  • Extra linedefs added to prevent you from being able to circumvent the tripwire, and thus grab the red key without setting off the trap.
  • Spectre at X 3088, Y 128 replaced with a Chaingunner. The sizes of the sectors below prevented the Spectre from moving.
  • Fixed a wall texture (the Baron of Hell portrait) that was rendered improperly in Boom because its width wasn't a multiple of 8. (Its texture alignment was adjusted accordingly.)
  • Fixed a flat that was rendered improperly in Boom because it wasn't technically saved as a flat.
  • Removed SS Nazis who were present in the church for no apparent reason.
  • Fixed a bug preventing you from opening the northeast blue door from the north, as the tripwire in front of it on that side wasn't marked as PassThru (i.e. does not block the player from triggering any door/switch linedefs behind it.)
  • At the end of the level, a Hell Knight now suddenly appears before the exit switch, as simply fighting a single Lost Soul is a bit underwhelming. It should not be hard if you're sufficiently armed by then.
  • (11/17/2007 4:58 PM PST) Moved a tree, preventing you from performing a shortcut into the path to the cave before the yellow skull key.
  • (11/17/2007 4:58 PM PST) Removed two superfluous secrets, one of which was impossible to register even with noclip turned on.

MAP15: Clash of Galaxies -
  • (10/6/2007 3:37 AM PDT) The instruments in my theme music for this level were all at maximum volume. They are now about 30% softer. Thanks to pcorf for reminding me about this!

MAP16: Hangman's Noose -
  • Renamed the map header lump -- instead of "MAP16," it was named "MAP01!"
  • Added TNT: Evilution textures required by the level, but not included in the submitted WAD. This includes the waterfall texture, which I made into its own texture (it was originally part of a multipurpose texture) and inserted into the ANIMATED lump.
  • (10/02/2007 3:08 AM PDT) Added custom music (MAP01 from TNT: Evilution) and custom sky (SKY1 from TNT: Evilution.)
  • (10/02/2007 3:08 AM PDT) It is no longer possible to circumvent the ambush at the star-shaped platform by dropping into the pit and entering any of the teleporters first.
  • (11/17/2007 4:58 PM PST) Reworked to improve gameplay and detail by yours truly.

MAP17: Mind's Prison -
  • (11/17/2007 4:58 PM PST) Fixed a misaligned texture and covered up the entrances into monster storages.

MAP18: Godforsaken Hole -
  • (10/12/2007 12:48 AM PDT) Moved the Revenant cage in the northeast of the map, which was off-center by 11 map units. This also means the Demon northwest of the cage is no longer trapped by the hanging torso in front of it.
  • (10/16/2007 9:29 PM PDT) Changed several hanging bodies in the northern part of the map (with the blood pit and the bodies on green stone walls.) While using a variety of them was nice, they were all of the blocking kind, which made maneuvering through the area tougher than necessary, since you cannot walk under solid, hanging obstacles in Boom. They have all been turned into non-solid bodies.

MAP20: Huitzilopochtli -
  • (11/17/2007 4:58 PM PST) Fixed a bug in a monster storage that would prevent one or more Arachnotrons from warping into the map if monsters occupied their teleport destinations.

MAP21: The Hero's Return -
  • (10/6/2007 3:37 AM PDT) Fixed texture alignment errors that were present in the map when played in any engine outside of ZDoom-based ports until I opened and re-saved the map in Doom Builder. Weird.

MAP24: Amalgamation -
  • (10/11/2007 3:25 AM PDT) Removed a 3D Mode Start that got left in the level.

MAP25: Fate in Blood -
  • (11/17/2007 4:58 PM PST) Monsters added near the start of the level by the author.

MAP26: Hybrid Envy -
  • (9/29/2007 10:47 PM PDT) Fixed doortracks not unpegged. Spotted by author.
  • (11/17/2007 4:58 PM PST) Made a hanging leg in front of a rocket launcher non-blocking.
  • (11/17/2007 4:58 PM PST) Made the Spider Mastermind's platform bigger, so it has more room to move.

MAP27: Ruby Abyss -
  • Fixed a rendering error in the southern quadrant with the bloodfalls that I managed to miss before sending the level in. Whoops!

MAP28: Token Arch-Vile -
  • Replaced the sixteen-byte D_TENSE with a MIDI consisting of one minute of silence. Same effect, but the ports won't give error messages about its format anymore.
  • Put the map through sidedefs compression. (Nothing was harmed in the process.)
  • (11/17/2007 4:58 PM PST) Fake ceiling added at the end of the acid river by the author, to prevent enemies from falling down the acidfall while still alive (which would prevent 100% Kills.)
  • (11/19/2007 8:55 PM PST) Fixed an OpenGL rendering error at the red teleporter near the red skull key switch by setting the ceiling to the same height as the rest of the room and instead applying a "change ceiling brightness to this brightness" action (linedef type 261) to that sector, accomplishing the same effect in a different way. (The OpenGL rendering errors in the central building were not fixed, as doing that would ruin the special effects inside.)

MAP29: For We Are Many -
  • (11/17/2007 4:58 PM PST) Fixed two alcoves in the northwest of the map that would never open due to being untagged.
  • (11/17/2007 8:41 PM PST) Changed an Easy-only Arachnotron at the area with the four marble pillars into a Baron of Hell, due to it being unable to move on the platform. Error spotted by author.

MAP30: Leviathan -
  • (9/30/2007 5:21 PM PDT) Rendering errors involving skies have been fixed. Change made by the author.
  • (10/30/2007 1:31 PM PDT) "Teleport to line with same tag" lines have been added to the control sectors containing the red and yellow keycards, as well as conveyor belts on the other side of the barriers. Prior to this, the keycards would often fail to appear if teleported monsters were still occupying the teleport destinations, precluding completion of the map. Now, if this happens, the keycards will keep moving, warping back to where they started via the "Teleport to line with same tag" lines, until the destinations are free and they can enter the map.

MAP31: Disarming the Mechanism -
  • Removed all unnecessary sectors, including sectors that make up solid pillars and thus can't be entered.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed you to fall off the east side of the staircase to the blue key, and become trapped there unless you use noclip.
  • Modified how switches in the super-tall core section was handled. Previously, the switches became impossible to flip, because you can't trigger switches through other linedefs with actions assigned to them.
  • (11/17/2007 4:58 PM PST) Removed a useless secret that only rewarded you with a few armor bonuses.
  • (11/17/2007 4:58 PM PST) Fixed a GL rendering error caused by an improperly-made sector.

MAP32: Installation 07 Warszawa -
  • Being reworked by me as we speak. (10/23/2007 12:34 AM PDT) I've finished reworking this map! It is currently pending reports from the beta-testers about the map.

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Last edited by The Green Herring on 11-20-07 at 04:55

Old Post 09-30-07 05:13 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dr. Zin

I noticed a bug the other day on my MAP26 - Hybrid Envy. Linedefs 780 and 781 should be unpegged so they don't move when the door opens. Sorry!

Old Post 09-30-07 06:06 #
Dr. Zin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Dr. Zin said:
I noticed a bug the other day on my MAP26 - Hybrid Envy. Linedefs 780 and 781 should be unpegged so they don't move when the door opens. Sorry!

Change made and listed. Thanks!

Old Post 09-30-07 06:48 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
doom2day
Forum Regular

Deep apologies for my mistake with the texture pack. Sorry.
:(

Old Post 09-30-07 13:34 #
doom2day is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
MTrop

Dang. I KNEW Map30 was released too soon!

I'm going to swap around the tags for sky transfers and see if that helps. Also, if some Boom ports are having trouble with sky for both floor and ceiling, I guess I could make the floors solid black.

The HOMs are probably due to some source ports rendering a completely black sky as transparent pixels, which is the standard created by Hexen's multi-layered skies. Some source ports correct this for single layers of black, and others, well... don't.

Old Post 09-30-07 14:37 #
MTrop is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
RjY
anARCHy

The Green Herring said:
MAP28: Token Arch-Vile -
  • Replaced the sixteen-byte D_TENSE with a MIDI consisting of one minute of silence. Same effect, but the ports won't give error messages about its format anymore.

Haha, clearly this was the right solution, rather than my gross hack. Thanks for doing it.

• Put the map through sidedefs compression. (Nothing was harmed in the process.)

That shouldn't have been necessary... Do you have the latest version of the wad? There was an rc4, I fixed that problem I had and redid the sidedef compression. I thought Aleaver had it, maybe it didn't get passed on to you, I wasn't aware at that time that you were doing the wad compilation. Should've bumped my thread again I guess, oh well.

Old Post 09-30-07 18:47 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

It was the latest version..I sent them all to him. Every update that was made be each mapper in the project since Setpember 04 2007 (the day all maps where completed) was put onto a secret URL at my site so The Green Herring and Use3d could download. All maps includeing there updated versions are on that URL.

Last edited by Aleaver on 09-30-07 at 19:06

Old Post 09-30-07 18:58 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

Eep, should have tested in boom. :)

Old Post 09-30-07 19:21 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

RjY said:
That shouldn't have been necessary... Do you have the latest version of the wad? There was an rc4, I fixed that problem I had and redid the sidedef compression. I thought Aleaver had it, maybe it didn't get passed on to you, I wasn't aware at that time that you were doing the wad compilation. Should've bumped my thread again I guess, oh well.
RC4 is identical to the updated version that Andy gave me. When either version is opened in Doom Builder...

Doom Builder said:
NOTE: 2957 Sidedefs have been copied as result of sidedefs decompression.
As mentioned in the changelog, though, it's already been taken care of, and everything's fine. :)

Last edited by The Green Herring on 09-30-07 at 22:32

Old Post 09-30-07 22:15 #
MTrop

I am currently fixing up Map30. Tell me where to send it once I finish.

Old Post 10-01-07 00:29 #
MTrop is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Mista_T said:
I am currently fixing up Map30. Tell me where to send it once I finish.

Use the e-mails in my profile, Aleaver's, and Use3d's. Can't wait to see it! :)

Old Post 10-01-07 00:37 #
RottKing

Green, did you get my PM? ?:3

Old Post 10-01-07 00:58 #
RottKing is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
MTrop

Map30 has been sent to you guys. Hope it is as fixed as possible.

Old Post 10-01-07 01:01 #
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

RottKing said:
Green, did you get my PM? ?:3

Yes. A decision has yet to be reached on the matter discussed, however.

Mista_T said:
Map30 has been sent to you guys. Hope it is as fixed as possible.

It is. It's odd for the structures to be held on a small, black plane when played in Boom itself (or under Boom compatibility in the recent PrBoom-plus,) but it's probably the best that can be done. Thank you very much!

Old Post 10-01-07 01:19 #
Use3D
Forum Legend

Huge thanks to Green Herring for putting the hard work into the project! Please PM any of us if any team members want to make changes to your maps or have other suggestions for bugfixes.

Old Post 10-01-07 18:25 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
MTrop

The Green Herring said:

It is. It's odd for the structures to be held on a small, black plane when played in Boom itself (or under Boom compatibility in the recent PrBoom-plus,) but it's probably the best that can be done. Thank you very much!

Does the void look "Solid Black" in Boom, or is it "Solid Black floor with regular sky all around?"

And if it's the latter, could it be fixed if every sector with a tag of 0 had a nonzero tag (with the line special changed accordingly)?

I guess I could make the walls a solid black and the sky the same, but it would look like stuff explodes around the perimeter of the void and kills the "void illusion".

Old Post 10-02-07 00:05 #
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Mista_T said:

Does the void look "Solid Black" in Boom, or is it "Solid Black floor with regular sky all around?"

And if it's the latter, could it be fixed if every sector with a tag of 0 had a nonzero tag (with the line special changed accordingly)?

I guess I could make the walls a solid black and the sky the same, but it would look like stuff explodes around the perimeter of the void and kills the "void illusion".

Solid black floor with regular sky all around, which is what I meant. And I doubt it could be fixed that way, because the sky transfer special only works in MBF and other source ports based on it.

Old Post 10-02-07 00:15 #
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

thanks for the reworking of the maps! much appreciated!

as for the custom music, i was thinking of "Freya" by The Sword for Map 16. it's been stuck in my head for the last 3 monthes and i think it is a good "battle" song for a battle-themed game.

should i send the song to you and let you put it in or did you have something else in mind?

Old Post 10-02-07 00:36 #
Shadow Dweller is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Shadow Dweller said:
thanks for the reworking of the maps! much appreciated!

as for the custom music, i was thinking of "Freya" by The Sword for Map 16. it's been stuck in my head for the last 3 monthes and i think it is a good "battle" song for a battle-themed game.

should i send the song to you and let you put it in or did you have something else in mind?

No problem! I was actually going to ask you for permission to do it, but I didn't get around to it. Nice to know that you appreciate it anyway! :)

The temporary custom music I had for MAP16 was the MAP05 theme from TNT: Evilution, which I chose based on the use of TNT: Evilution resources present in the level. But go ahead and send that song to me, and I'll put it in. Use the e-mail in my profile. :)

MAP32 didn't have custom music, either, but I didn't mention it because I'm choosing it for the reworked version. On that note, I could show you the reworked version when I'm done with it, too...

Old Post 10-02-07 00:40 #
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

great! i look forward to seeing the changes.

i am sending the email now.

Old Post 10-02-07 00:45 #
Shadow Dweller is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Shadow Dweller said:
great! i look forward to seeing the changes.

i am sending the email now.

Just received it, and... uh... it's an MP3 file.

This is a Boom-compatible project. That means the music will have to be MIDIs / MUS files, not MP3s. Sorry...

Old Post 10-02-07 00:57 #
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

i see. i'll see if i can change it. hold on...

Old Post 10-02-07 01:25 #
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

using adobe audition, i do not see an MIDI or MUS format. is there another format that works or can this be done through XWE?

Old Post 10-02-07 01:31 #
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Shadow Dweller said:
using adobe audition, i do not see an MIDI or MUS format. is there another format that works or can this be done through XWE?

MIDI and MUS are the only formats that work for music in Boom, so no. You cannot convert MP3s to MIDI/MUS in XWE, either.

Old Post 10-02-07 01:33 #
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

so how is it done?

Old Post 10-02-07 01:38 #
MTrop

Shadow Dweller said:
so how is it done?

It can't be done. MIDI/MUS is sequenced data sent to an instrumental device. MP3 is a compressed digital audio stream. Both files are completely different in formatting and makeup.

You could try to find a sequenced version of the music you want for the map, though.

Old Post 10-02-07 01:47 #
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

i'll see what i can do.

Old Post 10-02-07 02:03 #
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

can't find it...damn...oh well, i'll just leave it up to you.

Old Post 10-02-07 02:16 #
pcorf

Custom music does not exist for MAP03, MAP09, MAP13, MAP18, MAP21, and MAP24. If the authors want to suggest any songs they want to be used for these levels, feel free to post!

I prefer Doom2's MAP09 music in my level!. I tried several songs but I think D_IN_CIT works beautifully with the level. And thanks for fixing various bugs. I never even knew about the Mancubus bug where it was slightly improperly placed and stuck. If it was MAP08 or MAP10 I would include the MAP09 song in it. But since it was MAP09 there was no need to include the song.

Old Post 10-03-07 06:00 #
pcorf is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

pcorf said:

I prefer Doom2's MAP09 music in my level!. I tried several songs but I think D_IN_CIT works beautifully with the level. And thanks for fixing various bugs. I never even knew about the Mancubus bug where it was slightly improperly placed and stuck. If it was MAP08 or MAP10 I would include the MAP09 song in it. But since it was MAP09 there was no need to include the song.

Thanks! The Music section has been updated accordingly. I put that note in the Music section in case the authors of the maps mentioned want or do not want custom music to be used in their levels. If any of the authors listed want a specific song to be used in their level, feel free to post about it in this thread!

Old Post 10-03-07 06:13 #