Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:22. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Use3D
Forum Legend

Cadman said:
I am not some sort of ego maniac looking for glory or even attempting to take credit for anything from the previous "Community Chest" projects.

No I'm not getting that from you at all. I was just feeling that the direction of cc4's discussion was beginning to jump the gun a little, sorry if I came off pricky.

Also, in the spirit of the thread, I endorse the idea of sticking with a themed episodic feeling for cc4, where mappers can make a map to fit into one of the themes, and perhaps use various skies that work into the overall themes.

Old Post 12-05-07 19:14 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cadman
I'm not supposed to be here...no really

With everything that goes on in my life it has been very tough for me to keep up with the Community. I have this idea to at least give it one more good shot. Again, it all depends and I also know that we're not in a rush to start this. Thanks Use3D for your input and your thoughts on this matter, it is very much appreciated.

I'm a DoomGod! (Yeah, right!!)

Old Post 12-05-07 23:28 #
Cadman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Matt
Banned

Sign me up! I wanna goat this too! :)

Old Post 12-06-07 14:04 #
Matt is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Imo we should use an recource wad this time and go for continuity and sticking with certain themes.I hope the themes will not be too much of an limitation for mappers like if someone wants to do an tech map but he can't cause all slots are taken.

Old Post 12-06-07 14:10 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Searcher

I have to agree with Use3D, I think the three man lead team of Andy Leaver, Used3D and The Green Herring was an outstanding team to lead the project.

They pulled it together after the project was destined for a slow and very untimely death. Very commendable I'd say. I would certainly vote for having them (The Lead Team) lead the next project as well if they are up for it when the project actually starts.

Improving those maps that were reworked really made a difference.

Having a team on it takes a lot of load off of just one person.

A resource wad is a good idea as well.

Old Post 12-06-07 19:13 #
Searcher is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cadman

Just wanted everyone to know that I would never attempt to do something like this alone. I think it would be a great idea to have a team because of the better quality that would come forth. Andy Leaver, Use3D and the Green Herring are excellent choices. Hopefully when the time comes around to maybe start this they would still be interested and hopefully I can contribute in some way. I'm sure that other people may have ideas as well, that's what makes this type of project very special.

Old Post 12-07-07 01:35 #
Cadman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

First off let me thank everyone who said I would be a good choice as one of the people in the team to lead CC4. I am glad you think that is so.......

But when it came down to it in CC3..All I really did was cordinate (I know thats not spelled correctly) the effort. I set the rules and handed out the map slots. The Green Herring and Use3D did the "work". I had no idea how to put this thing together. I knew it would be hard right from the get go but I didn't think it would be as hard as it turned out to be. So if it wasn't for those two, there would have been no CC3. So consider that when thinking about a leadership team for CC 4. I really don't have anything of use to bring to the table so to speak. I am a mapper by default and thats about it. I never lead a major project like this before..and after doing CC 3, I can see why..I was WAAAY out of my league.

Old Post 12-07-07 04:16 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Joe Capricorn
Green Marine

I'd like to participate in a CC4...

Old Post 12-10-07 19:26 #
Joe Capricorn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Christoph

Hey all, I may be a bit of a noob around here, but I'm certainly no noob to doom or mapping, and this does interest me greatly. I would love to contribute a map and/or help with other maps (innovative ideas, re-working stuff, fixing textures, suggestions, etc). The only credentials I can offer right now is the Keep Running wad I uploaded recently which got pretty nice reviews. And like everyone else, I too can afford to wait a few months (why rush something like this anyway? You can't always force creativity).

Just a quick question: Do all the maps in the megawad need to be released exclusively within that megawad, or what about releasing them seperately before/after the community chest is published? The reason I ask is because I have some potential maps I'm either working on or planning to make soon whenever I get to it, and don't know if releasing them separately would make them ineligible for CC4. I kind of doubt I'll actually finish them that soon anyway, but just so I know the deal.

Old Post 12-19-07 05:18 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dr. Zin

The maps should not be released seperately. There is no point in making a megawad if you can get the material individually anyway.

Old Post 12-19-07 05:22 #
Dr. Zin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Christoph

I am currently done with the better half of a new map i've been working on for the past month or so. If anyone wants to see the first half I can send them screenshots or the wad file itself. I am considering entering it for cc4, which is why I posted here (apparently this thread has been dead for a while).

Old Post 01-27-08 17:26 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Curunir
Warming Up

I'd be up for this thing if the time limit is not too pressing.

And I once got an invitation from TNT DIA to map for the team or something, if that counts for being a good mapper. I love what's been done in the previous CChests so I'd be glad to take part in the next one.

Old Post 03-23-08 23:20 #
Curunir is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pcorf

Lizardcommando said:

Well, that rules me out... I thought the whole idea of a Community project was for anyone to join in and make something as long as they put in a ton of effort into it.

I agree. I think some of those rules are just too harsh. I think this potentional project should be opened to just about anyone who can make a decent level. Texture alignment dosen't have to be perfect to make a good level. I'll be doing a few maps for CC4 if it ever gets underway.

Old Post 04-20-08 04:28 #
pcorf is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

I thought of an intersting Concept for map01 of it (inspired by map01 of the first Community Chest)

Old Post 04-20-08 04:46 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cadman

One thing I have learned over my time with Doom/Doom2 is that any project you participate in you must have a sincere desire for the project and be willing to try your best for the project. When I coordinated the original "Community Chest" project I learned alot of hard lessons, especially from the people that helped to create it! They were good lessons, I learned to take alot of constructive criticism during that time and it helped me alot. I have looked into the possibility of being a part of the leadership team, but it requires a strong commitment from me. Some people have even suggested that I lead the project if it takes place and I've even thought about it and have even voiced it here on the forum as well. But can I really keep that commitment? It's been an ongoing question, something I've been pondering. There are some people here who have a genuine concern with my abilities and/or if I can truly make the time for such a project such as "Community Chest 4." They have very valid concerns. So what to do? I know in my heart that I can do it, but in reality can I do it? Maybe I'm getting way over my head? Oh well...:)

What do all of you think? Opinions? Concerns? Here are my ideas for a project like this, remember they are only ideas! :)

ZDoom Project

Designed with single player and coop in mind

Not to be made like the "Coopbuild" style of maps! No 15-20 Cyberdemons in one room! (With due respect to Toke)

No glaring or obvious errors

Texture alignments must be real good! Bad texture alignment can really degrade a map and take away from it. Perfection is almost impossible, at least make it look good.

Good weapon/ammo/monster balance

Make it play real good!

Well, there's my two cents...if it's worth anything.

Old Post 04-24-08 01:56 #
Tango

If you were able to get a community project where the maps used ZDoom's features well, that would be great. However, from previous attempts that I've seen and even from the current ZDoom Community Pack going on right now, it probably won't work well. Using ZDoom means you have to deal with a lot of additional, uh, stuff. A ZDoom community project would probably also be attracting a different, and likely less skilled, crowd. I guess, in general, using ZDoom would make the project more of a pain to construct and probably less of a quality effort.

Old Post 04-24-08 02:42 #
Tango is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Agreed. There's still lots of rarely-tapped potential in Boom, anyway. ;)

There's also the option of mapping for another port such as Eternity, which is fully compatible with Boom and vanilla maps, while allowing for scripting, large flats, portals, real 3D midtexture bridges without self-referencing sectors, polyobjects, custom monsters, and other Nice Things, without going into full-on ZDoom territory.

And like Tango said, ZDoom Community Map Pack is already in development.

Old Post 04-24-08 03:28 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Searcher

Most of that has been bantered about before.

The project should be boom.

The previous leadership team did a great job and should be asked if they want to do it again. If this project does actually get underway any time soon.

Old Post 04-24-08 05:40 #
Searcher is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Cadman said:
1)ZDoom Project

2)Designed with single player and coop in mind

3)Not to be made like the "Coopbuild" style of maps! No 15-20 Cyberdemons in one room! (With due respect to Toke)

4)No glaring or obvious errors

5)Texture alignments must be real good! Bad texture alignment can really degrade a map and take away from it. Perfection is almost impossible, at least make it look good.

6)Good weapon/ammo/monster balance

7)Make it play real good! [/B]

1)No allready been attempted and look how well that went.
2)Sure and what about dm.
3)I think the main focus should be single player.
4)I agree only join if your capable of creating an map without any serious bugs.
5)Dunno for me it doesn't have to be perfect I think if everybody does their best on their maps it should work out fine, perhaps some of the team members could help someone else out.
6)Sure again maybe others can help eachother out with improving gameplay.

ok got some suggestions myself.

1)An betatest team about five people or so only thing they do is playtest the maps and give feedback.
2)Two team leaders if one loses interest, or has got no acces to internet, or just can't get enough time free I think there should be someone else who can keep this thing going.
3)An texture recource wad.

Old Post 04-24-08 14:11 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

I have played through the previous CC's and they are great. Now, I would like contribute to CC4. But I would need to know when exactly this thing is going to start(and a list of who has taken what maps would also be handy(if possible)).

I hope that CC4 will start soon, I am excited to see a new generation of what people in the community can do.

Old Post 04-24-08 15:56 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
SYS

If all my shit is done by then and Zdoom features aren't necessary, I'd take the opportunity to do a map if offered.

Old Post 04-25-08 09:28 #
SYS is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lord_Z

I too would like to try my hand at making a map for a project like this. What dutch devil said about people helping others improve the over quality of their maps is very good point. Teamwork can go far.

The thing I would like to see in this, are custom monsters. I know it might be hard to do, so it does not really matter to me, but it would be cool.

Old Post 04-25-08 14:07 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

I agree with Lord_Z about how there should be custom monsters. I know that some people might be thinking that "this might not be a good idea because people will add monsters that are uberpowered", but I have an idea about what to do about this.

There could be a separate forum for what custom monsters should be added. On this forum people can decide what monsters they want to use. Maybe set a rule of: no monsters with more than 1500 health, or something like that. Also, no monster that shoots 30 bullets all at once, or whatever. That way, whoever is going to be in charge of this project can control which monsters are added to the project. The forum should also state what the actor number is of the guy that is to be added, so that people can put that number in on Doom Builder(or whatever the mapper chooses to use as a map editor). I think that the only map that should hold all the decorate stuff should be the first map. That way, when all the other maps are put into it, the enemies should work on all maps added. I realize that most people will probably have stuff going on in their lives and might not be able to watch over something like this, so I would be willing to look over this forum if need be.

I don't mind just using the normal Doom2 guys, but I think that if CC4(if started) had custom guys it will be that much better. You can agree, disagree, or whatever, just let me know what you think about this idea. If you don't quite understand what I am talking about, let me know and I'll try and re-explain it as best I can.

Old Post 04-25-08 14:33 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Dreadopp said:
I agree with Lord_Z about how there should be custom monsters. I know that some people might be thinking that "this might not be a good idea because people will add monsters that are uberpowered", but I have an idea about what to do about this.

No, I think this isn't a good idea because there already is a ZDoom community project.

Old Post 04-25-08 17:03 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

Fair enough. Like I said before, I don't mind using just the normal Doom2 monsters.

Old Post 04-25-08 17:13 #
Patrick
someone employed to clean and maintain a building

I'd want to participate, given that this is not for ZDoom.

Old Post 04-25-08 20:25 #
Patrick is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cadman

In reality, I agree about the strong lean toward not making this a "ZDoom" project. I would only lean toward people using a limit removing engine that way the maps can be very detailed and large as well. I have to admit that I'm an "old-schooler" and that I've been playing this great game since it's release all those years ago. To me the idea of creating a great map is in it's gameplay, putting people in the mood when they first load the map! The idea of having custom monsters sounds good but to me the problem is that in most cases the monsters really don't look that good and they detract from the map(s). But again, that's just a personal opinion...:) My last project with TeamTNT proved that to me. I prefer to stick with the original monsters and leave it at that...just my two cents.

Old Post 04-26-08 04:54 #
Dreadopp

Well, when I said that there could be custom monsters, I did not mean that people just go and make there own from scratch just for this project. I was thinking about using ones that already existed and fit into the Doom universe. The forum thing was to help decide what monsters looked the best, then they could be added.

But, if people prefer to have just the normal enemies then I'll go along with it. It doesn't matter to me.

Old Post 04-26-08 06:22 #
Lord_Z

Cadman said:
"the problem is that in most cases the monsters really don't look that good and they detract from the map(s)."
(I was not sure how to do the quotes thing the normal way.)

I have to disagree. If they are used properly, custom monsters can add to a map. For example, if you had a burning hells level the "Afrit" could be used or if you had a tech level the "Cybruiser" could be used. There are some monsters that do look bad but there are also some that look really good.

Old Post 04-26-08 06:33 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Butts

to me it doesnt matter what port this would be for. i can go with the flow. i think that each map would be cool if it had a seperate section just for deathmatch, or it could be like the first 16 maps are single player then the next 16 are multiplayer. but then again, it doesnt matter all that much as long as its fun, right? those are just ideas anyways. and i think that there should not have to be a 32678 seg limit, it should be higher for those mappers who like large detailed maps.

Old Post 04-30-08 06:04 #
Butts is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote