Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 Preliminary Sign-up (Mappers and Testers)
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:32. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

@Essel: I wouldn't worry about taking over. After all, you are doing this for the community and to help get things going and flow smoothly. Since mappers are allowed to use textures they want from outside the official texture WAD, they can still use Dr. Zin's textures if they find them useful as well as anything else that fits their theme, so if you can put toghether a more consistant texture resource, go right ahead. =)

Old Post 05-30-08 20:38 #
Death-Destiny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Creaphis said:
Request: Include some clashing texture sets anyway. And include a texture set from /idgames that has never been used. I'm sure there's a couple.

Hmm. I'll see what I can come up with that'll be new and different while still being usable.

Death-Destiny said:
@Essel: I wouldn't worry about taking over. After all, you are doing this for the community and to help get things going and flow smoothly. Since mappers are allowed to use textures they want from outside the official texture WAD, they can still use Dr. Zin's textures if they find them useful as well as anything else that fits their theme, so if you can put toghether a more consistant texture resource, go right ahead. =)

Thanks! I'll try to get started on something soon.

Old Post 05-30-08 22:13 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

esselfortium said:

Hmm. I'll see what I can come up with that'll be new and different while still being usable.

Well, I'm half-joking so don't strain yourself. There are some texture wads in /graphics that have seen very little use, and some of them could be used in decent levels, but then those levels would more or less have to use nothing but those textures due to art style differences, and a community project isn't the best place to provide a number of clashing textures.

Last edited by Creaphis on 05-31-08 at 00:03

Old Post 05-30-08 22:42 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kaiser
Doom64 Guru

Nostalgia has bit me in the ass.. I'll take map30.

Old Post 05-30-08 23:22 #
Kaiser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

I spent a few hours tonight beginning the task of gathering together and organizing resources for the texture wad.

I'm trying a different approach this time: sorting the textures and flats into categories in the wad using marker lumps, and not adding anything to texture1 until everything is properly added, sorted, named, and ready to go. The end result will look like any other texture wad, but hopefully it'll be better-organized.

Old Post 05-31-08 02:50 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Kaiser said:
Nostalgia has bit me in the ass.. I'll take map30.

You wins.

Old Post 05-31-08 02:52 #
Use3D is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RjY
anARCHy

esselfortium said:
[...]and a lot of the maps will have suspiciously similar themes as a result...
I thought thematic consistency was the whole idea of having a resource wad in the first place..?

Old Post 05-31-08 12:22 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
K!r4

If you think how he comes to this conclusion, you'll understand.

Anyway, I can't participate to this CC4 (a lot of others projects), so I wish you a good luck and to have fun !

Old Post 05-31-08 13:01 #
K!r4 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
andrewj

I think keeping all the new textures together, e.g. by making them all start with the letter A, would be good, because as mappers most of us know the standard DOOM textures pretty well and will be most interested in browsing the new ones.

Essel what about skies? I could employ my average GIMP skills to create some new ones, but I'd need to know what themes they should be. A night sky is easy to make and can fit well with DOOM lighting, what else?

Old Post 05-31-08 14:56 #
andrewj is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kaiser
Doom64 Guru

Death-Destiny said:
I'll probably require periodic status updates on your maps.

Just to let you know, I respond faster to private messages and AIM/ICQ.

Btw, I DO visit these boards frequently, so if I decide to quit, or if something happens and I can't get something done, then I will notify about it here and/or PM.

Old Post 05-31-08 17:39 #
Kaiser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrick
someone employed to clean and maintain a building

Creaphis said:
Request: Include some clashing texture sets anyway. And include a texture set from /idgames that has never been used. I'm sure there's a couple.

look at me. I am texture artist!

Ajapted said:
Essel what about skies? I could employ my average GIMP skills to create some new ones, but I'd need to know what themes they should be. A night sky is easy to make and can fit well with DOOM lighting, what else?

I think I have submitted some skies too. i'll post 'em up here

EDIT:
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1201/doomsky2rr2.png http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7748/doomsky3za1.png http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2268/doomskyzk3.png

Old Post 05-31-08 18:27 #
Patrick is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

I'll take MAP04. Oh, and please put me down as Jimmy. :D

EDIT: Who do I PM on this forum to get a username change?

Last edited by Jimmy on 05-31-08 at 19:15

Old Post 05-31-08 18:52 #
Jimmy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lord_Z

I really hope this thing gets started soon, I'm looking forward to it. I like a lot of the textures in Dr. Zin's wad and I hope that some of them will still be used in the newer resource.

Old Post 05-31-08 19:57 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
justanotherfool

I see that we only have one tester at the moment.

That being the case, I humbly offer my services... :)
Given the regularity with which I find myself at Doomworld these days, I imagine a PM will elicit a fairly speedy response.

Old Post 05-31-08 23:47 #
justanotherfool is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scorpion

I'd like to test.

I am user #666 on this board. Fear me.

telnet://scorp.us.to

Old Post 06-01-08 03:28 #
scorpion is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
andrewj

Janitor said:
I think I have submitted some skies too. i'll post 'em up here

Ahhh OK, I vaguely remembered somebody making some skies but thought it was a different project.

Perhaps one more would be good, like an earthy cloudy one.

Old Post 06-01-08 07:59 #
andrewj is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

I've imported Janitor's orange and red skies into the work-in-progress resource wad as SKY2 and SKY3, respectively. They both survived the conversion to the Doom palette, and look great. I agree that a nice earthy sky would be good for SKY1.

Old Post 06-01-08 08:49 #
PirateNipple
Warming Up

I have many questions about this and I don't want to embarrass myself so I sent you a PM, Death Destiny.

Old Post 06-01-08 15:47 #
PirateNipple is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PirateNipple
Warming Up

I guess I'll give this a go. Let's say map slot 19.

When is it officially starting if we had to make a guess? I'll be out of town pretty soon and don't want to miss anything important.

Old Post 06-02-08 01:45 #
PirateNipple is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

PirateNipple said:
When is it officially starting if we had to make a guess? I'll be out of town pretty soon and don't want to miss anything important.

That depends on when the texture resource is finished a few other very minor things figured out. I wouldn't imagine that these will take too much longer, if all goes well, so this should get underway fairly soon. =)

TGH will be sending everyone PMs and e-mails when the project starts so everyone is in the loop even if they're busy (assuming they have internet/e-mail access.) Someone mentioned sending emails for the status update periods as well, so I'll talk to TGH to see if he'd want to do that as well.

Old Post 06-02-08 04:45 #
Death-Destiny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrick

esselfortium said:
I agree that a nice earthy sky would be good for SKY1.
I'll chug out a few. I was hoping we'd use the Blue stars since that is my favorite

Old Post 06-02-08 04:57 #
Patrick is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

Alright. Are MBF sky transfers going to be allowed? If so, a bigger set of skies can be included.

Old Post 06-02-08 05:17 #
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

esselfortium said:
Alright. Are MBF sky transfers going to be allowed? If so, a bigger set of skies can be included.
One of the rules I've written down in advance prohibits MBF sky transfers, as 1) this is a Boom-compatible project, and that is (obviously) not a Boom feature, and 2) it would contribute to making it all look more like a bunch of random maps than a unified project.

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Old Post 06-02-08 05:31 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrick

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6340/cc4s1uw6.png

i whipped this up really quickly. its in doom palette.

esselfortium said:
I've imported Janitor's orange and red skies into the work-in-progress resource wad as SKY2 and SKY3, respectively. They both survived the conversion to the Doom palette, and look great. I agree that a nice earthy sky would be good for SKY1.

can I do the skies for CC4 then? I'd like a chance to have some of my graphics used in projects. I'll put a number of skies together so people can choose which ones they like. maybe i'll make a thread for it

Old Post 06-02-08 05:48 #
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

That blue sky looks just a tiny bit too cheerful for my tastes, but the orange and red skies are pretty awesome. I wouldn't object strongly to the blue stars - spacey skies worked well in Evilution, afterall.

Old Post 06-02-08 06:06 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

Pay attention, Janitor. =P

The Green Herring said:
One of the rules I've written down in advance prohibits MBF sky transfers, as 1) this is a Boom-compatible project, and that is (obviously) not a Boom feature, and 2) it would contribute to making it all look more like a bunch of random maps than a unified project.

There will only be three skies in the project.

Old Post 06-02-08 06:49 #
Use3D
Forum Legend

Doesn't every boom-port under the sun support mbf features?

Old Post 06-02-08 16:32 #
Use3D is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

Yeah, pretty much everything except the original Boom EXE itself, which seems to be only used for Boom compatibility checking these days...

Old Post 06-02-08 16:33 #
Patrick

Death-Destiny said:
Pay attention, Janitor. =P

There will only be three skies in the project.

what I meant is that, I would make a thread for people to choose which three skies they like the best. although, i tend to agree with Use3d, no one is actually going to play this with Boom. Almost Every port I can think of has MBF features

EDIT: @essel, might I suggest that you include some plutonia textures? I liked plutonia a lot, I;d love to map in that style

Last edited by Patrick on 06-02-08 at 17:03

Old Post 06-02-08 16:51 #
Creaphis

Back in my day, we only had ONE sky, and we were damn grateful to get it.

Old Post 06-02-08 17:22 #