Demon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 Preliminary Sign-up (Mappers and Testers)
Pages (6): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dr. Zin

Janitor said:
i whipped this up really quickly. its in doom palette.

Have you checked that sky against a level? It looks like it might anti-washout (or whatever you call the opposite of washing out) the actual architechture; light, contrasting skies tend to do that.

Old Post 06-02-08 17:24 #
Dr. Zin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Janitor said:
EDIT: @essel, might I suggest that you include some plutonia textures? I liked plutonia a lot, I;d love to map in that style

I'm already including the Plutonia bricks, I'll look into adding some other Plutonia stuff as well.

Old Post 06-02-08 17:25 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dr. Zin

Here are some teleporters I whipped up with the texture set I created. It uses the PADSTART, PADEND, and METSQ1 flats, and the METLSUP2 and GRNWALL1 textures. The central pad is 24 units above the surrounding terrain, and the border is 8 units above the surrounding area. The pads themselves should have brighter lighting than the surrounding map (I made the exit pad glow in this example).

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9963/cc4teleportml2.th.png

I don't think it clashes too much with any particular theme, and is recognizeable. This is only an idea of mine, so if anyone can think of anything better they should post it.

Example wad:
http://rapidshare.de/files/39597189/starend.zip.html

Old Post 06-02-08 20:28 #
Dr. Zin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Patrick
someone employed to clean and maintain a building

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9651/cc4teleptth1.png

IMO, these were the best consistent start/exit markers in any commercial doom game.

simple, yet recognizable.

Old Post 06-02-08 20:39 #
Patrick is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dreadopp

I like Dr. Zin's teleporter. It's not too clashy, IMO, and it looks unique. I wouldn't mind using the Plutonia teleporter, but I think that in CC4, the teleporter should differ from Plutonia. Just my two cents.

Old Post 06-02-08 22:07 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

Just to say it, I agree that Plutonia had the best Start/Exit teleport.

Anyway, I had this neat idea where we could use the original CC logo on the entry/exit teleports. It would be a nice homage to the original and the series in general. I tried it against a bunch of different themes and it looks like it can fit right in. No question it will be recognizable. I know the original logo was kind of crude, but perhaps once the texture resource is done, it can be spruced up? Just something to consider. =)

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/2067/screenshotdoom200806021un8.png
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/4257/screenshotdoom200806021rr5.png
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/9739/screenshotdoom200806021ib3.png

Old Post 06-02-08 22:21 #
Death-Destiny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Patrick
someone employed to clean and maintain a building

if we spruced it up? heck yes.

Old Post 06-02-08 22:31 #
Patrick is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

I feel like designing one as well lets see what my tormented brain can come up with :p Personally I would want one with doom textures, an altered plutonia one would be something I would have chosen.

Maybe we should have two one hell themed and one that would fit in niclely with the tech maps.

Old Post 06-02-08 22:32 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Anima Zero
Forum Regular

I'll sign up as a beta tester.

Old Post 06-03-08 00:58 #
Anima Zero is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium

Resource wad is almost done. This has turned out to be a huge job, and I'm thinking of uploading it without a few things, and with a list of what needs to be done so maybe someone who's not completely sick of arranging patches and making flats can do it...

Old Post 06-03-08 01:22 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

If using a start/exit teleporter with clearly recognizable geometry (like a CC logo) then I think it can be up to the mapper to texture it however he/she chooses.

I'd be interested in having each mapper plan with the mapper before and after him/herself what the entrances and exits should be, but obviously we're not that organized around here.

Old Post 06-03-08 07:01 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium

At long last, I present Essel's CC4 Texture Wad v1.1!

http://sl4.startan3.com/wasd/cc4-tex-11.zip
Update 06/03: v1.1 quick fix. Fixed a couple of minor bugs with BROWNPIP2, BROWNPIP3, and STARGR4. Haven't added anything new yet.

Phew! That was exhausting. If anybody wants to go through it and look for any textures that really need matching flats (or vice versa) that don't have anything that comes close, post your findings here so I can look into it. If you can find or make a matching flat/texture yourself, of course, that'd be appreciated even moreso. ;)

While not required I guess, it'd be really nice if someone made flats to go with the green, orange, and yellow lights (the lite5-styled ones under the _LIGHTS patch header), in the style of the flats in the _LITE flat group. I was planning to do this myself, but I've done enough for one week.

It'd also be nice if someone could make single-patch versions of STEP2, STEP2GY, and STEP2GN, since it's drawn incorrectly (making it look quite ugly) in most ports due to a vanilla bug with patches that use negative y offsets. (ZDoom draws it correctly, for reference.)

I've also included gray, red, green, blue, and yellow colormaps, for use in deep water or wherever else they might be found useful.

Currently the skies are a cloudy wraparound sky from Strife, the starry sky from Janitor, and the red sky from Janitor. These are subject to change if you guys decide you don't like them, especially sky1, which I just tossed in there to fill the space.

If you find any other bugs (I haven't done a lot of testing, so I wouldn't be surprised), or if there's anything you think should be added to the main wad (keeping in mind that more specific oddly-themed stuff can be added on a per-map basis), post them here.

Enjoy!

Last edited by esselfortium on 06-03-08 at 08:05

Old Post 06-03-08 07:27 #
RottKing

Welp, I guess I'll take Map12 again!

EDIT: Also essel add a few of my bloody skull pile texture variants!(BODIES*) Good selection though!

Last edited by RottKing on 06-03-08 at 07:54

Old Post 06-03-08 07:33 #
RottKing is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dreadopp

I just looked at the texture wad and I think that it is very good. There is certainly a lot of choice in there.

Old Post 06-03-08 08:20 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lord_Z

A lot of great textures in there but I think that there needs to more hell themed ones. There are tons of tech/brown stuff but not a lot of evil, demonish textures. I also think that Dr. Zin's or Death-Destiny's would make really good enter/exit teleporters as they are more original and look a lot better than the Plutonia ones.

Old Post 06-03-08 08:30 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium

Lord_Z said:
A lot of great textures in there but I think that there needs to more hell themed ones. There are tons of tech/brown stuff but not a lot of evil, demonish textures. I also think that Dr. Zin's or Death-Destiny's would make really good enter/exit teleporters as they are more original and look a lot better than the Plutonia ones.

Hmm. For demonic stuff, do you have any suggestions specifically? There are a few skin/snake variants in there, as well as a ton of marble and gstone variants, gothic-looking bricks and stone, and a good bit of gothictx stuff as well. If you know of anything I might have missed when hunting through wads for usable stuff, I'll take a look!

Old Post 06-03-08 08:34 #
Lord_Z

I don't know, perhaps there are enough but it just seemed to be missing something. Maybe a couple more bloodied up ones, fiery ones, infested with intestines, something a bit creepier. Then again, I guess it's all about how people put these textures together that give it those kind of feelings.

Old Post 06-03-08 09:02 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium

Heh...those are all well and good, but where do I actually find them? :P

Old Post 06-03-08 09:03 #
Nuxius
Forum Regular

esselfortium said:
It'd also be nice if someone could make single-patch versions of STEP2, STEP2GY, and STEP2GN, since it's drawn incorrectly (making it look quite ugly) in most ports due to a vanilla bug with patches that use negative y offsets. (ZDoom draws it correctly, for reference.)

Done.

Download:
http://www.speedyshare.com/235801132.html

I've also included a bit better space sky from PSX Final Doom and some door textures I did (neither of which you have to use ;))

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4598/psxspacedy6.png
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5213/cc4wooddoorsns3.png

esselfortium said:
While not required I guess, it'd be really nice if someone made flats to go with the green, orange, and yellow lights (the lite5-styled ones under the _LIGHTS patch header), in the style of the flats in the _LITE flat group. I was planning to do this myself, but I've done enough for one week.

I'll see what I can do (unless someone else wants to take a hack at it).

EDIT: Oh, and also, can I take the MAP31 slot please? Thanks. :)

Old Post 06-03-08 09:39 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lord_Z

esselfortium said
Heh...those are all well and good, but where do I actually find them? :P

I'm not sure, I thought you made textures.

Old Post 06-03-08 09:51 #
Dreadopp

If I recall correctly, I think Demon Eclipse has some pretty good hell-ish textures.

Old Post 06-03-08 09:53 #
Nuxius
Forum Regular

Lord_Z said:
I don't know, perhaps there are enough but it just seemed to be missing something. Maybe a couple more bloodied up ones, fiery ones, infested with intestines, something a bit creepier. Then again, I guess it's all about how people put these textures together that give it those kind of feelings.

Like these?

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4679/cc4helltheme1un6.png

Last edited by Nuxius on 06-03-08 at 11:11

Old Post 06-03-08 10:30 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lord_Z

Yeah, those look pretty cool.

Old Post 06-03-08 13:04 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Ah nice red and black yummie.

Old Post 06-03-08 13:37 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dreadopp

dutch devil said:
Ah nice red and black yummie.

I really like red and black as well. Those textures look very good to me.

Old Post 06-03-08 15:35 #
Kaiser
Doom64 Guru

Nuxius said:

Done.

Download:
http://www.speedyshare.com/235801132.html

I've also included a bit better space sky from PSX Final Doom and some door textures I did (neither of which you have to use ;))

Kaiser_22.wad contains some neat psx doom/psx finaldoom textures if interested in using.

Old Post 06-03-08 15:51 #
Kaiser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium

@Nuxius: Awesome! Thanks :D

Lord_Z said:

I'm not sure, I thought you made textures.

I do, but not all of them. :P

Old Post 06-03-08 16:07 #
Dr. Zin

So is this new texture wad predominant, or can we still use stuff from my texture pack?

Old Post 06-04-08 01:03 #
Nuxius
Forum Regular

esselfortium said:

Done.
http://www.speedyshare.com/310353787.html

Kaiser said:
Kaiser_22.wad contains some neat psx doom/psx finaldoom textures if interested in using.

Anything that's not already in ConsoleRes.zip? (your post made me go looking for it again, thought I had lost it, heh)

Old Post 06-04-08 01:54 #
esselfortium

Nuxius said:

Done.
http://www.speedyshare.com/310353787.html

You rule, thanks!

Old Post 06-04-08 02:02 #