Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Map 22 - Desanctification

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:02. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Butts

might as well start things off here....

anyways, here are some shots of what i have so far. here is what to expect from the theme, the detail (i'm not trying to have as much detail as i previously have done), and whatever.

this is not the starting point, i didn't start building this map around a starting point for whatever reason
http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?...doom0024zu5.png

see, less than normal (for me, at least) detail.
http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?...doom0025go5.png

and here are ~80 imps or so that decide to come out to play
http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?...doom0026yg1.png

so far, i haven't stuck in weapons or such, but this map will be oriented in a way that is somewhat like DV/2 in a way, like when you pick up weapons you will be using it, and if there is 100 ammo for that weapon, you are going to be using pretty much all of it, or if there is a megasphere, you are gonna need it, etc. i am planning on having interesting encounters that rely on map geometry, have some puzzles, etc. im trying to be creative and such. the map will probably be fairly linear, but its going to be a challenge (i hope) for pretty much everyone. the map is going to be fairly open, as in movement will not have much restriction in most spots, unless you are a klutz or something.

Old Post 06-05-08 00:39 #
Butts is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Looks good so far! The only suggestion I can think of so far is that it could use some more color contrast: currently it's all brown and black, except for the very few red highlights. It might help if you lowered the ceiling light structures between the beams a bit, and changed the dark grating around them to F_SKY1. Just an idea. :P

Old Post 06-05-08 00:45 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Butts

yeah i was going for a dark theme, metal and such, but this was supposed to be a basement, but then again, i don't care what its supposed to be as long as it looks good, heh. but yes, i definitely will lower the ceiling.

Old Post 06-05-08 05:24 #
Butts is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ler

Very Quakeish. Nice architecture, though. You better throw in some bigger beasties, though; you've got MAP22, after all.

Old Post 06-05-08 09:16 #
ler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

Looks pretty cool, nice work. Sounds like it will be a nice challenge. Can't wait to try it out. :)

Old Post 06-05-08 09:24 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Nice to see you are aligning everything nicely, looks pretty good an good amount of detail.I agree with Esselfortium his advice.

Old Post 06-05-08 19:42 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nuxius
Forum Regular

While I definitely agree with essel in that it needs more color variation, I personally like the underground aspect of it and the usage of the grate texture.

Otherwise, it's looking nice so far.

Old Post 06-09-08 01:16 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrick
someone employed to clean and maintain a building

Boom Compat. means watch the seg limit with all the detail. I might also add that you need a little more contrast and height variation. otherwise looking good.

Old Post 06-13-08 09:32 #
Patrick is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

Hey Butts! You're going to have to watch the seg limit for real this time! Haven't you exceeded it in practically every map you've made?

JK... =P

I'm sure you'll do just fine with "Desanctification". If this suggestion helps, you probably ought to get your entire layout completed before you start detailing. This way, you know exactly how much space needs detailing and so how complicated it can be within the Boom SEG limit.

Old Post 06-13-08 10:07 #
Death-Destiny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Butts

yeah definitely watching the seg limit this time. dont worry pat, there will be plenty of height variation and such, its just that part of the map is kinda flat. anyways, i kinda detail as i go along, even though i try not to, but i have to get some feel for how the map is supposed to be first. i build around my own atmosphere, in a way. hard to explain...

Old Post 06-13-08 17:43 #
Butts

alright im back. thank you for not booting me from my mapslot.

i have been working on this a bit, but keep in mind i have a life and other doom projects as well.

Old Post 07-01-08 01:49 #
Use3D
Forum Legend

Butts said:

i have been working on this a bit, but keep in mind i have a life and other doom projects as well.

No rush. Although the life part should take a backseat to cc4 ;)

Old Post 07-01-08 05:03 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Butts

i wasnt too happy with how this is turning out. i started the map completely over and modified the theme a bit. ill put up screenshots soon, but im only at like 15% completion. the theme is now a base, but demons created it using human resources and technology, and its in the middle of a large gulch and the base is made of bricks, metal, and satan.

Old Post 07-22-08 19:39 #
Kyka
Loser

Use3D said:

No rush. Although the life part should take a backseat to cc4 ;)

Back seat?? Try ejector seat... :)

i agree that it could use some colour variation, though at the same time I really like the metal look. Looks dark and brutal. With careful texture selection, you can keep that monochrome look, yet give the level more contrast.

[edit] On second thoughts, I realised that the problem is not with the lack of colour. That will work fine as is IMO. I think that the problem is that there is too many little things all over the place. Not in terms of how much architectural detail that you have put in, (that looks really good) but in terms of how many nuts and bolts and grilles and lines on the textures themselves. Don't change the colors of the level, but a few "plainer" textures would actually fix things. So instead of trying to take in 20 different texture details, a smaller number of things will be fighting for your visual attention, thereby actually letting the really good details stand out more..

'Course its just a thought. Level looks great though.

Last edited by Kyka on 07-29-08 at 03:53

Old Post 07-29-08 03:32 #
Kyka is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Butts

http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?...doom0033bb6.png

har har har

i restarted, this is the "refueling base" section... i just love that part! expect action! expect more action! expect exciting action! yeah, its far from finished, but i felt comfortable in showing a little progress. the other parts of the map are just layout right now, and my map slot may have to be moved lower due to theme possibly and difficulty will most likely be less than what i'm accustomed to... i haven't really played too much doom recently, just a little AV.

Old Post 11-18-08 03:10 #
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Wow, looks awesome.

Old Post 11-18-08 03:24 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

Looks great, Butts. :)

Old Post 11-18-08 21:46 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Butts

STATUS UPDATE:

My ass is looking damn fine. On the other hand, my map is shaping up quite nicely, if a tad on the linear side I think. It's a bit on the far side of completion, turning out a tad larger than I previously thought it was going to be.

Old Post 12-25-08 08:47 #
Kyka
Loser

That most recent screenie looks very impressive. Great architecture.

Old Post 01-10-09 05:38 #
Kyka is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kirby

Kyka said:
That most recent screenie looks very impressive. Great architecture.

Old Post 02-10-09 01:32 #
Kirby is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Butts

WARNING: Fucking large screenshot of the map layout. Yeah, I'm pretty far from being finished.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7459/22cc4.png

Old Post 06-09-09 06:17 #
Butts

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7459/22cc4.png

probably 60% done... with the layout.

Old Post 07-01-09 22:02 #