Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > The Community Chest 4 Rules/Guidelines Thread (segs limit guideline removed)
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:12. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Welcome, everyone, to the rules thread for Community Chest 4!

Please read this post before you sign up. It'll save me and everyone else a whole lot of hassle.

Here are the rules:

UPDATE (6/7/2008 6:26 PM PDT): As the result of widespread complaints, I have altered rule 10. Please take a look ASAP.
UPDATE (10/21/2008 1:57 PM PDT): Rule 1 has been modified due to recent events. Please look at it ASAP.
UPDATE (01/07/2010 10:59 PM PDT): The guideline about staying within the 32768 SEGS limit has been removed; see this post for an explanation.
  1. All finished maps must be submitted to both eabaker(at)san(dot)rr(dot)com and the(dot)eternal(dot)ruler(at)gmail(dot)com.
    Receiving your maps at both my regular e-mail address and my Gmail address will be very useful should I fail to receive them at my usual address. Beta test reports from the beta-testing team must be sent to both of them as well. When sending to these addresses, replace (at) with "@" and (dot) with ".", all without quotation marks; they're rendered the way they are in this post in order to repel spambots.
  2. This is a Boom-compatible project. As in, a project which will run in Boom and any port that can run Boom maps.
    This means mapping for a specific port besides Boom will be prohibited. See the guidelines below this list for tips on how to avoid "ZDoomisms."
  3. All cooperative starting positions and at least four multiplayer starting positions must be included.
    Even if it's not built for coop or deathmatch, please include these so at least the level won't crash the game if you try to play those on it.
  4. Custom textures apart from the resource WAD are allowed.
    However, only use them if you honestly can't create what you want using the resource WAD. Make sure you begin any custom textures with a specific code to identify yourself. (The sign-up form will have a space for this.)
  5. Sky transfers are prohibited.
    Unfortunately, CodeImp seems to be under the impression that this is a Boom feature, and Doom Builder's Boom configuration lists it as such. It's not. It was only introduced in MBF and will not work in Boom. Plus, it would make the megawad look more like a bunch of random maps than a unified project. Don't use it. There are new skies in the resource WAD anyway.
  6. Custom weapons/sounds/monsters are prohibited.
    CC4's gameplay and sound effects will be the same as Doom II. Besides, there are enough shitty sound replacements as it is.
  7. If someone's map seems subpar, help them.
    Don't just go "lololol ur map sux," give them constructive criticism on what could be improved. It will help them improve as mappers, too.
  8. Beta testing is mandatory.
    Please playtest your maps before submitting them! Send your map to a member of the beta-testing team (preferably all of them) for additional scrutiny. Trust me, you'll save me a lot of effort that way.
  9. Beta testing must be kept within this project.
    Don't send it to anybody outside the project for testing, lest you risk having them leak your map somewhere. There is the beta-testing team (or will be) if you want someone else to playtest a map for you.
  10. Custom MIDIs are allowed.
    However, if you didn't make it yourself, please tell us where the song you're using is from and/or who made it. If this is not possible, please at least tell us where you got it from. Of course, if you intend to retain the song your map slot normally uses, that's all right as well.
And here are some guidelines to ensure full compatibility with Boom:
  1. If you are marking a door or lift as switch/gunfire activated, make sure you actually tag them!
    Only ZDoom allows you to open switch/gunfire doors which are untagged. In any other port, these will not work.
  2. If there's a special linedef (or more) in front of a switch or door, make sure that linedef is set as PassThru!
    PassThru is a linedef flag in Boom that allows "Use" actions to pass through them and apply to any special linedef on the other side. Special linedefs that do not have this flag set will block all "Use" actions, and render any switches/doors behind them inoperable. See CC2 MAP24 for a particularly horrific example that prevents completion of the map in Boom.
  3. Arch-vile jumps only launch you about 32 map units into the air!
    Only in ZDoom do they launch you at two times that height. Keep this in mind if you're making Arch-vile jumps required for anything (be it a secret or something else,) or otherwise, the player will be unable to reach them in Boom!
  4. Don't put solid objects in places the player must pass over or under!
    Odd as this sounds, Doom does not have proper Z-clipping for actors, and neither does Boom; solid objects will block you even if you try to go over or under them. Thing types 49-53 and 73-78, all hanging bodies or body parts, are solid objects and will similarly block you. Doom Builder's thing listing is unfortunately misleading in this regard and gives the impression that anything not labeled as "blocking" is non-blocking, including types 73-78. Don't be fooled.
  5. Don't make ridiculously tall sectors!
    If you make any sector insanely stupidly tall, there's a chance Boom will crash if you step into it. Rooms as tall as the crusher room in Doom II MAP06: The Crusher are adequate enough.
The CC4 resource pack may be found here.

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Last edited by The Green Herring on 02-09-10 at 00:22

Old Post 06-05-08 22:07 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

Wait so we can't choose our own custom music if it hasn't been newly created especially for this project?

I apologize if there was already a discussion about this in one of the other threads, but that sounds kind of bogus to me.

I mean if you're really that ardently in favor of this, I'm not going to put up a huge fight or anything because it's not that big of a deal, but one of the things I like most about these projects is getting to hear the song that the map author had in mind when designing the level, regardless of its origin.

Now, if you wanted to make some MIDIs or something for people to listen to and select for their map if they really think it fits, that'd be a great idea. I know I'd certainly give them a listen at the very least. But I do want to go on the record as not being at all on board with forcing people to pick from only a certain selection of songs for their map.

Last edited by Kid Airbag on 06-06-08 at 08:11

Old Post 06-06-08 07:59 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ler

Yeah for midis I don't really see why it has to be original. I mean I really don't care what music is chosen for my map as long as it's not some ass rendition of a Metallica song or something, but midis are ultimately not as crazy steal worthy as MP3s. As long as you credit the original author I don't see why you wouldn't be able to include a midi (and obviously the issue would arise if plagiarism happens but from what I've seen of these issues, authors are damn up on these things, as are other people, and public humiliation follows; if we could put people in stocks and throw tomatos at them there would be no crime).

Just my opinion.

Old Post 06-06-08 13:17 #
ler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

Clearly, CC4 containing all-never-heard-before-music is a very low priority among the mappers here. This decision would best be changed.

Old Post 06-06-08 18:33 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tango

I'm not in the project but I'd say that forcing original music isn't the way to go. I guess I wouldn't know if everyone else is like this, but a lot of times I begin a map with a certain song in mind which influences how I make the map.

Old Post 06-06-08 20:27 #
Tango is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

That was TGH's decision to mandate all custom MIDIs, so we'll have to discuss it with him whan he gets back around. The original plan he had was to compose all himself, and then we settled on allowing the participants to compose their own as well, but, especially considering how unpopular this idea is being, I'd be more in support of allowing any MIDIs if TGH doesn't mind. We'd have to hear out his reasoning for that decision first, though, as I'm sure he has one he thought about.

However, since this is a community project, if the community does not like the rule, we'd need to change it though.

Old Post 06-06-08 21:27 #
Death-Destiny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Spammer

Death-Destiny said:
However, since this is a community project, if the community does not like the rule, we'd need to change it though.

I don't like that rule if doesn't get changed I'm out, I want to be left free to choose music from which I think that it will fit my map.

I have no problems with any of the others rules though.

Old Post 06-06-08 21:36 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

I haven't even heard any of The Green Herring's music yet, but it would have to be absolutely fantastic and extremely varied for this rule to be fair. A good musician isn't good enough for this sort of task.

Old Post 06-06-08 21:50 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Yeah the music rule defies the whole point of the project. I would be fine with maps that specify no music are free for an original midi.

Old Post 06-07-08 01:10 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

Well anyway, I tend to agree with the community about rule 10.

The last rule ought to read: "You are allowed to compose your own MIDI for your map if you wish, and can specify this in the sign-up. Otherwise, you may submit any MIDI you wish with your map."

For the foreseeable future, assume that's what the rule is. I'm certain TGH will change it in his post when he gets back, since it doesn't look like you people are giving him a choice.

Old Post 06-07-08 01:37 #
Death-Destiny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Butts

yeah the rule 10 should be changed, but it doesnt affect me either way, someone can do whatever they want with the music for my map.

Old Post 06-07-08 03:24 #
Butts is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
andrewj

Well I for one hope TGH still wants to make music for this, as good original music would make this whole project more interesting (and possibly more consistent) than great-but-heard-it-all-before music.

Also (and correct me if I'm wrong) but I don't think BOOM lets you select individual MIDIs for each map. Hence some songs will be repeated two or three times like in the DOOM2 iwad. That's going to be a source of conflict.

Old Post 06-07-08 03:26 #
andrewj is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dr. Zin

Ajapted said:
Also (and correct me if I'm wrong) but I don't think BOOM lets you select individual MIDIs for each map. Hence some songs will be repeated two or three times like in the DOOM2 iwad. That's going to be a source of conflict.

You're wrong. Even though the tunes are the same, each MUS entry in the Iwad is its own lump.

Old Post 06-07-08 03:45 #
Dr. Zin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
andrewj

Ah ok, nevermind then.

Old Post 06-07-08 06:09 #
andrewj is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nuxius
Forum Regular

I just want to throw in my vote of support for choosing our own midis. They're our maps, after all. ;)

Although I must admit I'm very interested in hearing your collection, TGH; might even use one of them instead of the song by Shtbag I currently have picked out, if I feel one of them suits my map better. :)

Old Post 06-07-08 09:46 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Well, I'm back from my three-day trip and--

Goodness gracious... I had no idea how unpopular rule 10 would be! Now that I think about it, I can see how it could be against the aims of the project.

From this point on, you can select whichever song you want as long as you tell us where it's from (or where you got it from if you don't know for sure.) I'll modify the rule as such, and then inform everyone about it by e-mail and PM ASAP.

Sorry about that, guys... Carry on!

Old Post 06-08-08 02:16 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis

I still want to hear your stuff. Make some.

Old Post 06-08-08 08:51 #
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

I'd like to make some custom MIDIs for the project, even if they're not for my maps. :) I've already got some here.

Old Post 06-08-08 11:20 #
Jimmy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nuxius
Forum Regular

Cool, I'll have give them a listen sometime. :)

Old Post 06-09-08 01:12 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lord_Z

Was an entrance/exit teleporter ever decided on?

Old Post 06-18-08 07:42 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Spammer

Lord_Z said:
Was an entrance/exit teleporter ever decided on?

I think we should abandon this idea, I haven't put one in my map.

Old Post 06-18-08 19:07 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lord_Z

Ok then. I actually liked the double C teleporter but it does not matter too much I guess.

Old Post 06-18-08 19:13 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Christoph

That is an interesting idea but one that would be very difficult to pull off in a project like this - so many mappers with different tastes doing different kinds of maps and not knowing how the previous or next map will be (in regards to "transitional" exits/starts) - even if it was coordinated it would kind of limit people by forcing them to design their exits a certain way. If it was some kind of thematically consistent wad that would be another thing, but this is every map for itself, in the hope that quality will prevail.

Old Post 09-19-08 14:45 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Rule 1 has been modified due to recent events described in the first post of the sign-up thread. Please check it out ASAP.

Old Post 10-21-08 22:00 #
Alice Jameson
Mini-Member

Ummm I was curious. Are custom animated flats/textures allowed? I know that custom textures were but I was wondering if animated ones were also allowed.

Old Post 06-01-09 17:50 #
Alice Jameson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Yes, they are allowed. :) Just let me know what the first frames, last frames, and number of frames between changes are, and I'll add them to the ANIMATED lump in the compiled WAD.

If you're not sure how to add them yourself, download this this package, extract the CC4SWANI lump from the CC4 resource wad as a .DAT file, add the animated textures/flats you want, and use SWANTBLS on the modified .DAT to create an ANIMATED lump you can place in your WAD.

Old Post 06-01-09 18:19 #
Alice Jameson
Mini-Member

Kay I downloaded the editing package. Will add them soon. ^^

Old Post 06-01-09 18:28 #
Alice Jameson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

IMPORTANT RULE/GUIDELINE CHANGE!

By popular demand, the guideline about sticking to the 32768 SEGS limit has been removed. Please see this post for my reasons for doing this.

Old Post 01-08-10 07:04 #
tehdrunkdemon
Mini-Member

How difficult will your maps be?

Old Post 06-13-10 17:14 #
tehdrunkdemon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

The Green Herring said:

1. Custom textures apart from the resource WAD are allowed.
    However, only use them if you honestly can't create what you want using the resource WAD. Make sure you begin any custom textures with a specific code to identify yourself. (The sign-up form will have a space for this.)

What about importing textures from another pack? Do I have to prefix them, even if they're not mine? For example there's that newer Cage texture pack that also contains id-based textures which could go well along the current CC4-TEX list. Do I have to prefix them even if they're not mine?

Old Post 08-30-10 21:11 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote