Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 Official Sign-up Thread!!! (RETIRED! USE THE NEW THREAD!)
Pages (7): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:10. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Nuxius said:
I already have one started, and will start a thread with some screen shots if this is approved. :)
Go ahead. I've moved you. :)

Old Post 11-11-08 10:46 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheMionicDonut

Slot: 31
Filename Code: CC4_Mknt
Texture Code: using resource afaik
New Midi?: Yes
Name to be Credited Under: Mechadon and MionicDonut
Map Name: Ferrous Fury

TGH and I talked briefly about this, and it seemed greenlighted.

Old Post 11-18-08 03:32 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

RottKing has told me he wishes to resign from the project. Well, actually, he resigned months ago, but it wasn't clear to me whether he actually intended to or not, and he didn't post about it here. So, anyway, the MAP12 slot is now open.

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Old Post 12-02-08 01:35 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

I have a Virus map that I could easily convert to a standard Doom2.exe map for this project if you like. If you'd like me to do it, here's my sign up form:

Slot: 12
Filename Code: CC4_Ph2
Texture Code: n/a
Custom Midi: Yes
Name to be Credited under: James "Phobus" Cresswell
Map Name: Viral Implant

To give you an idea of what I'd be doing, I'd take MAP01 of Virus, copy the sectors and the like over to a doom2 map, retexture it to look like a CC4 map, remove all of the slopes and replace them with stepped surfaces, place steps going up to some of the areas where flying was used before, use lifts in some of the others, and add detail into the areas that look blank after conversion. Then I'd place monsters and create Doom like gameplay (which is slower than Virus, and a lot less vertical). It won't be a particularly big map, but it'll take longer to play Doom style than it will Virus style because you have to use lifts and stairs as well as doors, and the movement speed is lower.

Old Post 12-02-08 11:44 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

It certainly sounds like something very interesting, although care will have to be taken to prevent the lack of Z-clipping for actors in Boom from hampering movement. At this time, however, you can't take another slot if you already have one. The exception was made in the case of MAP31 because it is technically another person's (Mechadon's) completed but unreleased (Skulltag) level entirely, being converted to Boom for use in Community Chest with the original author's consent.

Don't lose hope, however: There is something I'm going to PM you about that would make it possible in due time, depending on the circumstances.

Old Post 12-02-08 23:52 #
DrKelexo
Warming Up

Slot: 12
Filename Code: CC4_drkx.WAD
Texture Code: DRK
Midi Used?: Unsure. May or may not create my own.
Name to Be Credited Under: Dr. Kelexo
Map Name: La Porte (name pending)

Hey, I'm new to this forum but not to mapping. If required I can show you some of my work.

The map idea will be that you are playing a certain area of a map "over the span of time". You are essentially playing the same area 4 times, but each in a different time zone. The monsters will be different in each area and the level design won't be copy-pasted but you will be able to notice similarities in the design. I may or may not create puzzles based on this (IE opening a door in the past will allow you to enter that area in the future), optionally I'll just create a linear level with the four areas.

Is this okay?

Old Post 01-06-09 19:59 #
DrKelexo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

That concept reminds me of this, which isn't a good thing, but if you implemented this idea well enough, it could work. The problem is that if you don't execute this idea really, really well you'll end up with a map that people will be quick to criticize as repetitive and boring. You're kind of making it harder for yourself with this plan.

Old Post 01-06-09 20:25 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DrKelexo
Warming Up

Well, like I said, if it doesn't work, I can make it linear; that is, you go from one 'time zone' to the next to the next to the next, and the exit is at the fourth and final, so its still an essentially linear level with a neat twist to the design; kinda like 'Wormhole' (in TNT, I believe).

Also the areas don't have to be all that big, so that it doesn't make it too long or too boring.

Old Post 01-06-09 20:42 #
DrKelexo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
RjY
anARCHy

Hi I'd like to apply for the vacant tester slot. I've been involved in the previous two CCs and would like to do something for this one.

As a tester I think I'm fairly thorough. I tend to concentrate on actual bugs rather than commenting on the gameplay which I feel I should leave to more skilled players. Here are a couple of examples of previous testing reports I've done.

So if you guys think I am suitable please let me know.

PS I try not to be excessively formal but sometimes it just happens :)

EDIT:

Beta-Tester5: RjY (RjY)
All right that was fast.

So if you want me to test your map probably the fastest way to get my attention is to go on IRC and ping me - I will idle in #cchest for that purpose.

Alternatively I suppose there's the forums PM system or email me at users.sourceforge.net (username same as forums name but in lower case)

Hope that's all right with everybody. Thanks!

Last edited by RjY on 01-06-09 at 23:16

Old Post 01-06-09 21:26 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DrKelexo
Warming Up

yeah I was surprised to get myself on the list so quickly. I'll give it my all, for you guys

Old Post 01-06-09 23:45 #
TheMionicDonut

Youve got some big shoes to fill with slot 12. Best of luck to you.

Old Post 01-07-09 00:23 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
waverider

Slot: ??
Filename Code: CC4_Wave
Texture Code: N/A
Custom Midi: Undecided
Name to be Credited under: Waverider
Map Name: ??

Hi. I'm not a known mapper, but I've been making a handful of maps over the years, just never got along to release them, mostly because I wanted to make a megawad, and couldn't do one just by myself.

All of the current slots are taken as of now, right?
I can show you some of my work when and if needed. Otherwise, I'd like to sign up as an alternate.

Old Post 02-24-09 00:40 #
waverider is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Showing your work isn't necessary! Also yes, all the slots are filled but I'd be shocked if someone didn't drop out, so map away if you like.

Old Post 02-24-09 00:58 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Use3D said:
Showing your work isn't necessary! Also yes, all the slots are filled but I'd be shocked if someone didn't drop out, so map away if you like.
Of course. In fact, I think I should add a "reservations" list, or a list of people who have signed up in spite of the roster being full, so that they can be accepted into the project as soon as a slot is freed. If you check the status check thread, two of them will be freed if their occupants don't check in, anyhow.

What do you guys think?

Old Post 02-24-09 01:03 #
Dreadopp

I'd say go ahead.

Old Post 02-24-09 01:18 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
waverider

Use3D said:

Ok! I have an idea on a map, I'll get to work on it right away, and hope for a free slot :) Hopefully the map will turn out nicely as well...

Old Post 02-24-09 22:53 #
waverider is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Nuxius
Forum Regular

Most likely you'll get a slot, as I'm pretty sure two will open up after the next progress report date passes. (EDIT: Heh, I just realized TGH just said that)

Looking forward to seeing screens of your map, waverider. :)

TGH: The reservations list sounds like a great idea to me, I say go ahead and make a spot for it.

Old Post 02-25-09 07:39 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

I have now added a reserved mappers list to the first post. Those who want to join the project but can't do so because of filled slots can be put on this list, and they will be placed in a mapping slot the moment it becomes vacant.

At this moment, only one person on the list, but anyone who hasn't yet signed up for the project can join as well. :)

Old Post 02-28-09 00:36 #
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

MAP13 and MAP19 have been freed, as their occupants have been kicked off for inactivity. One of the beta testers has been kicked off for inactivity, as well, and thus, there is now an open playtesting slot.

Waverider will now be able to choose which slot he would like to take, between MAP13 and MAP19, as he is on the reserved list.

Old Post 03-02-09 01:15 #
waverider

The Green Herring said:
Waverider will now be able to choose which slot he would like to take, between MAP13 and MAP19, as he is on the reserved list. [/B]

Nice :) I'll take MAP19 then.

Is there any kind of theme I'm supposed to follow in any kind of way?

Old Post 03-02-09 13:40 #
TheeXile
Haha owned

Think I could nab that Map13 slot, then? I have a bit of an unusual idea that ought to be fun to try out.

Slot: ?? (13?)
Filename Code: CC4_EXYL.WAD
Texture Code: N/A (for now)
Midi Used?: Probably not
Name to Be Credited Under: TheeXile
Map Name: Voodoo Veyor

Just a warning: I plan to abuse Boom "scripting" and voodoo dolls a bit with this. Hence the name.

Last edited by TheeXile on 03-02-09 at 17:18

Old Post 03-02-09 15:01 #
TheeXile is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lord_Z

waverider said...
Is there any kind of theme I'm supposed to follow in any kind of way?

It's whatever you want it to be.

Old Post 03-02-09 22:00 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
waverider

Lord_Z said:

It's whatever you want it to be.

Ok, thanks.

I got a city map in the making, I should be able to show some screens from the map in a few days. Now I just got one more question then I should be fine for now.

Not sure if I searched well enough on the forum, but where can I reach the beta testers when the map is ready for testing?

Old Post 03-02-09 22:42 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Could you put me on the reserved mappers list, I have an map lying around which is about 80% finished.

Old Post 03-02-09 23:51 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Done. I assume your texture and filename codes are the same as before?

Old Post 03-03-09 00:13 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Yes for the most part, altough I do use an few textures which are not in the texture resource wad, the map wasn't planned for CC4.Its in Doom2 format now, so still need to convert it to boom.Rename the textures and flats, if its required that is.

Slot: ##
Filename Code: CC4_MD
Texture Code: MD
Custom Midi: Yes
Name to Be Credited Under: Dutch Devil
Map Name: Inner Fear

Old Post 03-03-09 00:26 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

ler just PMed me to inform me that he's "pretty sure [he's] never going to finish that level", and told me to free his slot. Dutch Devil now occupies the MAP05 slot, as he is the sole entry on the reserved list.

Old Post 03-13-09 04:52 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Excellent, I'm working on gameplay now, the map itself is pretty much done.

Lets say total progress 90% done.

Old Post 03-13-09 14:33 #
Alice Jameson
Mini-Member

I can be a beta tester...
Alice Jameson

Old Post 03-16-09 18:34 #
Alice Jameson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

I would like to resubmit my submission form, for a number of reasons. I hope that's okay.

Slot: MAP04
Filename Code: CC4_JIMM
Texture Code: J_******
Custom Midi?: Yes
Name to Be Credited Under: James "Jimmy" Paddock
Map Name: Suburbia

Old Post 03-16-09 20:13 #
Jimmy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote