Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 Official Texture Resource
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:16. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

I've already posted this in the other thread, but I figured it'd be best to put it here where everyone can find it instead of cluttering up the old signup thread with it.

Community Chest 4 Official Resource: Version 1.7
Now included with Community Chest 4: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16911

While I did compile the wad and create or modify some of the textures in it myself, NiGHTMARE, Eriance, Nuxius, RottKing, and the many others listed in the text file are responsible for the majority of the stuff in here. Thanks, everybody!

If you find any bugs or can suggest any important additions (keeping in mind that mappers are allowed to include their own new textures/flats for their map), post them here and I'll look into it!

If you're currently mapping with an older version of the resource wad, I highly recommend updating to the latest, as some textures have changed (I had forgotten to arrange some patches, mainly).

edit: 07.07.08: v1.4 posted.
edit: 07.08.09: v1.5 posted. Changelog is in the included textfile! Some maps might be affected and need one texture find/replace'd with another in Doom Builder. Sorry for the inconvenience, but it had to be removed for Boom compatibility.
edit: 10.06.11: v1.6 posted. SKY2 has been replaced with an improved sky texture created by esselfortium. Hope you like it! -TGH!
edit: 03.25.13: v1.7 is included with the final release of Community Chest 4 in its own .zip file. Some textures were updated, mirror versions of vine textures were added, and custom translucent maps were added that were used in a few levels. Sorry it took so long to add it here! -TGH!

Last edited by The Green Herring on 03-25-13 at 22:00

Old Post 06-09-08 04:15 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
glaber

I just tried to add my first custon texture to my level and the texture pack got messed up. Some of the textures and parts of textures dissapeared due to having the wrong patch name. For example the sky textures for sky 1 and 2 ask for patch names SKY1 1_2, SKY1B N3, SKY1C N4, SKY1D N5, SKY2 ED2 when the patches avaible are SKY1, SKY1B, SKY1C, SKY1D, SKY2.

Old Post 06-11-08 23:52 #
glaber is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

Yeah, I've noticed that those extra characters after texture names and patch names frequently show up during lump editing. You can notice this if you edit the pnames or texture1/2 lumps in Slumped, and then if you open those lumps in XWE you'll notice the extra characters. However, I thought that this sort of corruption didn't matter, because usually Doom engines and editors ignore characters that occur after a space in a patch/texture name, but maybe this isn't always the case. Anyways, if you download the resource wad again and edit it with Slumped instead of XWE, it should be fine. Generally there's no problem if you stick to a specific lump editor for all your texture editing.

Old Post 06-12-08 01:09 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
glaber

Regardless of the editor used it is usually a good idea to to have the patch names actually match up with the actual patches so as to advoid these kinds of things. Even after I closed the wad in xwe and reopened it in Doom Builder, the program complianed about missing patches.

Last edited by glaber on 06-12-08 at 01:26

Old Post 06-12-08 01:15 #
glaber is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

Don't edit in XWE, it breaks the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps. I'm not sure why; SLumpEd, DeepSea, Doom Builder, Slade, and Doom itself all have no problem reading them. Use SLumpEd or DeepSea (I recommend SLumpEd unless you're doing something really complicated) to edit them and there will be no problems.

Old Post 06-12-08 01:46 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
glaber

Sorry but I'm just too use to using XWE. However will you allow me to make an XWE compatible version? I already started working on it by renaming the actual patches to the ones that both the texture and patch lumps are calling for.

I think the reason XWE breaks them is because it looks for matching names between the called for patch and the actual patch. If it can't find a match it displays the name of the patch being called for instead of the patch graphic. Think of it this way. You place a shortcut to a file or folder on your desktop, but then you change the name of the orignal file/folder. the shortcut is then nolonger able to send you to your desired location on the hard drive without searching first.

TL;DR version: XWE can't find the patches with the same exact names as the ones in the patches lump.

PS: I learned how to add textures in XWE from the SRB2 community.

Last edited by glaber on 06-12-08 at 02:05

Old Post 06-12-08 01:50 #
esselfortium

It'll just break again if it's edited in Slumped. XWE is the only program I know of that is unable to read it as-is, and I'm going to be using Slumped for any future updates to the wad, so...sorry. Not much I can do.

To add new textures to it using Slumped, just import the files into the wad, right-click and Convert to Doom Graphic, then right-click and Add to TEXTURE1 (it'll automatically be added to PNAMES as well). Save and you're done.

Old Post 06-12-08 01:58 #
esselfortium

glaber said:
TL;DR version: XWE can't find the patches with the same exact names as the ones in the patches lump.

But XWE is the only program that even *displays* them as if they have names other than the correct ones. Every other editor that I've tried has no problem reading it and displaying the correct names.

Old Post 06-12-08 02:04 #
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

I'm not an XWE fanboy or anything, but we still can't prove that it's XWE garbling the lumps and not SLumpEd. I personally feel that it's more likely that SLumpEd is the one corrupting the lumps, because XWE essentially reads pnames as plain text and doesn't have any pnames-editing macro capabilities. I don't see how it could damage pnames during the simple parsing and by-hand editing of text. Also, it never shows corruption if it's the only program ever used to edit a wad's textures, and it doesn't show corruption in the iwads, etc., or other "clean" wads loaded directly into XWE.

Old Post 06-12-08 02:18 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

I just did a side-by-side test, exporting Doom2.wad's PNAMES from XWE and SLumpEd, then adding and removing an extra entry at the end of it in SLumpEd and exporting again. Prior to the changes, SLumpEd and XWE export the exact same lump, as expected. Once SLumpEd has added a patch, the lump gets corrupted. I used Notepad to compare, not a lump editor. I'll report this to SlayeR the next time I talk to him.

In the meantime, any editor other than XWE seems to be able to handle the wad without any problems, and there have been no reported issues loading the resource wads I've compiled for Greenwar2, KDiKDiZD, various 32in24s, and other wads (all using SLumpEd) in Chocolate Doom, Zdoom/GZDoom/Skulltag/ZDaemon/Odamex, Eternity Engine, PrBoom, PrBoom-Plus, or any other ports.

Old Post 06-12-08 02:30 #
glaber

I've conducted an experiment using my project Doom Lost Levels in witch I import a texture with Slumped and then reopen the file in XWE. Now I have found that Slumped can read a patch lump that was edited in XWE just fine (textures were added before the experiment), but the same can not be the same for the other way around. When I reopened the wadfile afteradding in a texture in Slumped, I found the patches lump messed up slightly with extra symbols tacked on to the end of patch names including those of plain Doom 2 itself. I Believe that thanks to this I can say that Slumped was the program that did the messup.

Old Post 06-12-08 03:58 #
esselfortium

glaber said:
I've conducted an experiment using my project Doom Lost Levels in witch I import a texture with Slumped and then reopen the file in XWE. Now I have found that Slumped can read a patch lump that was edited in XWE just fine (textures were added before the experiment), but the same can not be the same for the other way around. When I reopened the wadfile afteradding in a texture in Slumped, I found the patches lump messed up slightly with extra symbols tacked on to the end of patch names including those of plain Doom 2 itself. I Believe that thanks to this I can say that Slumped was the program that did the messup.

See my post right above yours. :P

Old Post 06-12-08 04:00 #
glaber

From the looks of things we came to the same conclusion. Oh and I was still typing my post when you finished yours.

(goes to fix the patches lump in his entry.)

Last edited by glaber on 06-12-08 at 05:21

Old Post 06-12-08 04:16 #
Creaphis

Yeah, I realized from the start that Essel had tons of texture-editing experience with SLumpEd, so obviously this corruption isn't fatal - as long as you don't start using XWE on the wad. Despite this, SLumpEd is probably still the better tool for texture editing as you can actually remove entries from pnames. I'll stick to XWE though, as I'm anal enough to want a perfectly clean file.

Old Post 06-12-08 04:48 #
esselfortium

According to Quasar (an unbiased source, as he didn't develop either of the tools), this issue is both XWE's fault and SLumpEd's fault: While SLumpEd is writing uninitialized memory after the null character that ends the short patch names, XWE is reading past that null character, which is technically incorrect. There is no requirement in the PNAMES format that patch names must be extended out all the way with null characters, as Doom stops reading after the first null character (and correctly-written editors do the same). As far as the PNAMES format goes, there's nothing technically wrong with how SLumpEd writes short patch names, but instead with how XWE reads them.

In any case, I asked SlayeR about it and he was nice enough to make me a quick-fix of SLumpEd that (hopefully) corrects the bug. I'll be uploading a fixed resource wad shortly. :)

Old Post 06-12-08 06:26 #
Creaphis

Ah, alright.

Old Post 06-12-08 20:40 #
andrewj

Small issue: the flat GROUND22 has a white dot in it.

Old Post 06-13-08 11:55 #
andrewj is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

Ajapted said:
Small issue: the flat GROUND22 has a white dot in it.

TheGreenHerring pointed this out to me last night, as well as one of the other GROUND flats. I have no idea how it got there, but it's been fixed, as have the pink dots in the bottom right corner of a few of the WOOD_N textures. I'll upload the fix sometime soon.

Old Post 06-13-08 16:03 #
Nuxius
Forum Regular

http://www.speedyshare.com/830190812.html

Now that I'm back home on my own computer, here's the other patch for the SKSPINE texture talked about here. Sorry about that again, guys! :(

Old Post 06-24-08 02:39 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis

Texture request: Could some transparent splattered-blood textures be added to the resource wad, so that any wall texture can become a smeared and bloody wall texture? (As in, these would be used by placing them on lines parallel to and one map unit from the "bloody" wall.)

Old Post 06-24-08 19:31 #
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Creaphis said:
(As in, these would be used by placing them on lines parallel to and one map unit from the "bloody" wall.)
That looks cheap. Why not just ask the TEXTURE1 manager to make the bloody versions himself? It wouldn't be memory inefficient either.

Old Post 06-24-08 21:51 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

printz said:
That looks cheap. Why not just ask the TEXTURE1 manager to make the bloody versions himself? It wouldn't be memory inefficient either.

Do you ever make posts for any other reason than to be annoying and contrary?

Old Post 06-24-08 22:53 #
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

esselfortium said:

Come on, Essel, you need not be so quick to find fault in people. Printz is allowed to have an opinion even if it contradicts someone elses. It's nothing to get worked up over.

I think Creaphis made a fair enough suggestion. Is something like this what you're talking about, Creaphis? Simply a generic set of bloodsplatters that can be positioned directly in front of any texture? Since the blood spatters have no specific texture that they go with, I also tend to agree with Printz that it would require some work to use effectively, but might be useful nonetheless:
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/6471/screenshotdoom200806241dn4.png

I can post a link if anyone wants to try them...

Old Post 06-25-08 00:01 #
Death-Destiny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

A transparent blood splat will work, and it looks fine if done correctly.

Old Post 06-25-08 00:28 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis

Yeah, DD, that's more or less what I had in mind. Of course, individual mappers will have to be careful about whether the blood splat matches the texture behind it. Maybe these splats should ultimately be used as part of multi-patch bloody wall textures instead of on their own lines, but during the mapping process I'd prefer to use them as transparent textures so that I can easily see where they look right and where they don't.

Old Post 06-25-08 06:56 #
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

esselfortium said:

For me to believe you, you'll have to show examples of my posts that annoyed the hell out of you. Otherwise, I don't.

And what the hell, patched splats will look a lot better and solid than superimposed linedefs. Blood isn't fixed on the floor or ceiling, to stay suspended in mid-air.

Old Post 06-25-08 15:51 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

It might actually be beneficial to use the transparent ones like originally suggested. This way, the mapper could adjust the alignment of the blood splatter while keeping the wall behind it lined up with the adjacent walls.

Old Post 06-25-08 17:24 #
Death-Destiny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

Also, the other day I discovered that SlayeR's attempt at fixing SLumpEd's pnames/texture1 stuff wasn't entirely successful. It seems that pnames is now read properly by XWE, but some texture1 entries get garbled up. I'll see if I can get him to take another look at it, but right now I can't guarantee that this wad will ever be compatible with both editors.

Old Post 06-25-08 17:46 #
glaber

May I then suggest a seprate XWE version? I could provide this myself as I've fixed the resource wad for my level.

I have the wad avaible for download now, but I need the go ahead to post the link.

Last edited by glaber on 06-25-08 at 21:36

Old Post 06-25-08 18:38 #
Macro11_1

printz said:
For me to believe you, you'll have to show examples of my posts that annoyed the hell out of you. Otherwise, I don't.

And what the hell, patched splats will look a lot better and solid than superimposed linedefs. Blood isn't fixed on the floor or ceiling, to stay suspended in mid-air.

How does it look any better?

Old Post 06-26-08 07:28 #
Macro11_1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote