Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 Official Texture Resource
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:28. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Because in reality, blood would be PAINTED on the wall, not cardboard at a centimetre distance to it, ever! They'd be seen in the game if the player looks along the wall.

So naturally the solution to transposing it in Doom would be to use the power of texture patches.

If there needs to be more variety and customization, then patches could be forgotten already and then just extract the textures and paint, for each, a bloodstain that fits well and also looks semitransparent.

SP_ROCK (Doom) and WOODMET (Doom 2) are examples having bloody versions. TNT: Evilution has bloody textures, as well.

Old Post 06-26-08 10:23 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheCupboard
Forum Regular

printz,

If you have a solid wall and move a line with the bloody midtexture on it close to the solid wall, you can't even tell the difference. You can't see the blood hanging in midair. It actually looks attached to the wall itself. As long as the two lines are close together, you wouldn't even know the difference between it being two textures or one.

Old Post 06-26-08 13:24 #
TheCupboard is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Macro11_1

printz said:
Because in reality, blood would be PAINTED on the wall, not cardboard at a centimetre distance to it, ever! They'd be seen in the game if the player looks along the wall.

So naturally the solution to transposing it in Doom would be to use the power of texture patches.

If there needs to be more variety and customization, then patches could be forgotten already and then just extract the textures and paint, for each, a bloodstain that fits well and also looks semitransparent.

SP_ROCK (Doom) and WOODMET (Doom 2) are examples having bloody versions. TNT: Evilution has bloody textures, as well.

True, but as TheCupboard has just said, if you go with in 1 unit away from the wall (or two if your lazy) it looks the same unless your looking for defects in the map. In which case you are no longer playing doom, but looking at doom.

I suggest asking Esselfortium or Deaths_Destiny or The Green Herring or some one if you can do the patch part your self, as it seems like a lot of work.
:)

Old Post 06-26-08 18:35 #
Macro11_1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Macro11_1 said:
if you can do the patch part your self, as it seems like a lot of work.
:)

Do you mean that I ask the managers to do it, or myself do the bloody textures? In case of the latter, well I'd gladly do, but only from August. Sorry. Too bad I don't have what's ready to create the blood stains however, so I'd need the patches given to me, drawn by someone else. But not now.

Is the word manager a bad one, by the way?

Old Post 06-26-08 19:05 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

I see what you're saying, Printz. In the screenshot below, looking at the wall at this precise angle, it appears to be "clean" even though it really has a bloodstain on it like in the screenshot below the first one:
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2811/screenshotdoom200806261jy3.png
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8840/screenshotdoom200806261pp1.png

However, if this wall were continuous (like in a hallway), the player would have to IDCLIP into the wall to see this defect (and the IDCLIP world is full of HOMs and whatnot anyway.) As for a 64x128 texture like a crate or something, it would be easy enough for the mapper to combine the crate's patch and the bloodsplatter they want into a new texture and use it similarly to WOODMET3 and WOODMET4, so long as the bloodsplatters were provided.

Old Post 06-26-08 19:09 #
Death-Destiny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Macro11_1

Personally I wouldn't be able to notice that while playing doom, and even If I did, I would dismiss it, sort of how I dismiss blurry textures and misalignments in AAA games now a days. Not every thing needs to be perfect, and in this case, if it is quicker to just do "floating patches of blood" then we should do that. If it is not quicker, then do the patch method.

Anyways, What I would really like to know is how the next version of the resource is coming along? The Flat Ground26 is really starting to bother me... and I am hoping to see a fixed version soon. :)

----Thanks in Advance

Old Post 07-07-08 23:15 #
Macro11_1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Okay, here it is. I didn't get to do all the stuff that was asked for, but I kind of lost track of what was going on and forgot about it, so I don't want to keep you guys waiting anymore.

It includes a bunch of new textures and (hopefully) most of the issues that were brought up have been fixed.

Unfortunately, despite SlayeR's attempts to fix SLumpEd for me, the wad still doesn't work properly in XWE. PNAMES seems to be fine now, but short names in TEXTURE1 still get messed up. This is really an XWE bug, in that it reads into data that it's not supposed to, but Csabo seems to have disappeared so it's unlikely to be fixed...

Community Chest 4 Resource Wad v1.4:
http://sl4.startan3.com/wasd/cc4-tex-14.zip

Old Post 07-08-08 00:27 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tango

About that blood thing: instead of making a straight line 1 px away from the wall (like ||), couldn't you split that line into two (vertex in the middle) and connect the two endpoints to the wall, so it's like a V shape (<| where | is the wall and < is the blood). I mean, wouldn't that fix the problem in dd's screenshot?

Old Post 07-08-08 02:54 #
Tango is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Macro11_1

@ Essel: WooHoo, thank's essel!

@ Tango: Yeah, that is an excellent solution... why didn't I think of that?!

Old Post 07-08-08 07:38 #
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

You can feel free to connect the blood patch lines to your wall line in any way you please. But, even if the blood is one unit away, that really isn't noticeable, and it's easiest to work with if it's on a separate line.

Old Post 07-08-08 20:36 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

esselfortium said:
Unfortunately, despite SlayeR's attempts to fix SLumpEd for me, the wad still doesn't work properly in XWE. PNAMES seems to be fine now, but short names in TEXTURE1 still get messed up. This is really an XWE bug, in that it reads into data that it's not supposed to, but Csabo seems to have disappeared so it's unlikely to be fixed...

What if you export and then reimport with DeuTex?

Old Post 07-08-08 21:10 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

Gez said:

What if you export and then reimport with DeuTex?

That might help, but I have no idea how to use DeuTex. I might look into it.

Old Post 07-08-08 21:15 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RjY
anARCHy

deutex is pretty easy if you just want to rebuild a wad for whatever reason. Go into an empty directory and type deutex -xtract old.wad then deutex -build new.wad. It will scream at you about stuff that it thinks isn't strictly doom2.exe-compatible but you can mostly ignore that.

Old Post 07-08-08 23:12 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

And that rebuilds texture1/2, pnames, etc.? If so, this might be exactly what the texture resource for the Heretic project needs.

Old Post 07-08-08 23:19 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Lookin good, really appreciate the effort put into this Essel.

Old Post 07-09-08 00:50 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
glaber

I can fix this for xwe users if you'd like. I've already done it on 1.3 for my level.

ReEdit: I just discovered that the Texture pack is already 98% compatiable with XWE. The only thing that needs to be done to it is deleteing a few stray symboles in the texture lump.

Last edited by glaber on 07-17-08 at 02:03

Old Post 07-09-08 19:31 #
glaber is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
darkreaver

A question:

I want to use the CC4 texture pack for the map Im currently working on, but its not going to be in CC4. Can I do that? I mean, do I have the permission? If I ever release (I repeat, IF) the map, who do I credit in the .txt?

Old Post 04-19-09 21:43 #
darkreaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

Yes, go for it. One of my goals with CC4-tex was to put together a collection that could be used as a base for other projects, as well. The included textfile has a full list of credits.

Old Post 04-19-09 21:47 #
darkreaver

Thats great! Thanks for the reply.

Old Post 04-19-09 21:51 #
darkreaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Alice Jameson
Mini-Member

This texture pack doesn't seem to work properly with Doom Builder 2. An error message comes up. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the resource pack or Doom Builder 2. It works fine with the original Doom Builder though. Just thought I'd bring this up even though it's not a major problem.

Old Post 05-21-09 17:45 #
Alice Jameson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Try downloading this Boom configuration file and replacing your old one with it. I had the same error, myself, before CodeImp discovered why it was happening and provided a fixed version.

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Old Post 05-21-09 18:17 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Alice Jameson
Mini-Member

Ok thanks. ^^ Will download as soon as possible. I really want to work on my level with Doom Builder 2, with it's awesome new features.

Old Post 05-21-09 18:28 #
Alice Jameson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

You're welcome. In case you're wondering, the different configurations DB2 uses are in the Configurations folder of the Doom Builder 2 directory.

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Old Post 05-21-09 18:30 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

I no longer get the error message but the textures are still all Question marks when trying to work in DB2

Old Post 05-23-09 15:14 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

Did you load Doom2.wad first?

Old Post 05-23-09 17:14 #
Mr. Freeze
etc.

Are there any other mirrors for the file? The first one provided isn't working.

Old Post 06-22-09 16:53 #
Mr. Freeze is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
David_Dweedle
Loser

Am I allowed to use these textures in Non Community Chest maps? I will put Credit and that Authors txt file if I release the maps that I make useing these textures.

Old Post 07-01-09 05:30 #
David_Dweedle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Alice Jameson
Mini-Member

David_Dweedle said:
Am I allowed to use these textures in Non Community Chest maps? I will put Credit and that Authors txt file if I release the maps that I make useing these textures.

This should answer your question:

esselfortium said:
Yes, go for it. One of my goals with CC4-tex was to put together a collection that could be used as a base for other projects, as well. The included textfile has a full list of credits.

Old Post 07-01-09 14:40 #
esselfortium

I've just updated the first post with version 1.5 of the texture wad:
http://sl4.poned.com/wasd/cc4-tex-15.zip

Check the changelog to see what's changed. In short, though: A few of my old crappy textures have been improved, and the 256-tall lift texture (PLAT128B) has been removed due to Boom's incompatiblity with 256-tall textures. Replace it with one of the tiling 128-tall PLAT textures in affected maps I guess.

Old Post 07-08-09 20:20 #
glaber

is it XWE compatible?

Old Post 07-08-09 23:38 #
glaber is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote