Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4-Map19: The Cove

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:08. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PirateNipple
Warming Up

It's supposed to be a cove, ripe with hordes of enemies and waterfalls. It'll be a lot of cave/water architecture, but I'm going to try to mix in a fair amount of indoor/building architecture, maybe with a wood motif, something that would work with the setting. I'm also going to try to make a pirate ship but it'll probably turn out really damn bad.

2 quick pictures of the very beginning, just trying to get some stuff from my head into doom builder:
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/8601/screenshotdoom200806102zi6.th.png
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/5553/screenshotdoom200806102di6.th.png

Old Post 06-11-08 03:26 #
PirateNipple is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

Looks pretty good so far.

Old Post 06-11-08 05:52 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

This looks good so far, sort of reminds me of some areas of Alien Vendetta or something. You could do well with adding some more vertices to smooth out some of the sharp jagged edges, but it doesn't look bad as it is.

If you're looking for a texture that matches the dirt flat you're using on the floor, btw, it's one of the ROCK* textures in the resource wad. :)

Old Post 06-12-08 23:51 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
alien8
Mini-Member

I'm really glad to see that you're submitting something - I enjoyed what you did with the small level you released not long ago, and I look forward to something new!

Old Post 06-13-08 01:01 #
alien8 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

esselfortium said:
This looks good so far, sort of reminds me of some areas of Alien Vendetta or something. You could do well with adding some more vertices to smooth out some of the sharp jagged edges, but it doesn't look bad as it is.

You know, considering that every angle between the floor and a wall is a sharp 90 degree angle, I feel that it helps feel more natural if the angles between lines match that jaggedness somewhat.

Old Post 06-13-08 01:26 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nuxius
Forum Regular

esselfortium said:
This looks good so far, sort of reminds me of some areas of Alien Vendetta or something.

Yeah, his style of design is definitely very AVish, which is great for me (since I loved AV).

Anyway, I like what little you have so far there, PirateNipple, not really much else to say. :p

Old Post 06-13-08 03:55 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Creaphis said:

You know, considering that every angle between the floor and a wall is a sharp 90 degree angle, I feel that it helps feel more natural if the angles between lines match that jaggedness somewhat.

In some cases I suppose that could be, but you can also use perspective tricks with smooth-curved lines to give the impression of sloped rocks.

Old Post 06-14-08 06:45 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PirateNipple
Warming Up

I've worked on this very little in the last 9 or so days but I've been pretty busy. I've been brainstorming, though!

Old Post 06-22-08 06:40 #
PirateNipple is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote