Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4-Map21 - Shatterbase

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:29. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dreadopp

Huzzah! I have started my map for CC4 today and I must say, it's coming along better than I expected. It's called "Shatterbase". I will update the name into the sign-up thread as well.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6076/doom0028hp3.th.png http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/3695/doom0029ff1.th.png
I am not sure what to think about these hallways. I might change some of the textures or just redo it completely. I thought I might get some opinions first.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4469/doom0030ls7.th.png http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8742/doom0031yz4.th.png

Personally, I really like how this entrance looks. The sky is absolutely perfect for this map.

At the moment, my map is probably 5% done. I still have a long way to go, but it will be worth when I am done.

Percent Complete: 35%

Last edited by Dreadopp on 08-05-09 at 01:21

Old Post 06-11-08 11:22 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

I can't get shots 3 and 4 to load, but the first 2 are looking excellent.

edit: Okay, imageshack finally loaded them. Looks great!

Last edited by esselfortium on 06-11-08 at 12:28

Old Post 06-11-08 12:23 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Looking great I love the black marble.

Old Post 06-11-08 21:54 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

Thanks! I am glad you like it so far.

esselfortium said:
I can't get shots 3 and 4 to load, but the first 2 are looking excellent.

edit: Okay, imageshack finally loaded them. Looks great!

Yeah, imageshack is giving me some problems now. Next time I might just post links or just change what image hosting site I use.

Old Post 06-12-08 07:56 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nuxius
Forum Regular

I like your usage of the light texture in the first two shots, the way you have it makes it look like a grate with fire behind it, which is a perfect fit for the dark marble look.

Old Post 06-14-08 08:45 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

Update: I was not too happy with those grey hallways, so I got rid of them. But not in vain. I replaced them with something that I think looks a lot better. Screens (I am giving Imageshack another chance :P):
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5513/screenshotdoom200806230nm3.th.png http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9110/screenshotdoom200806230wz7.th.png
I still need to add some details here and there, but i thought I should give an update since that hasn't been done in awhile. I'd say its probably about 8% done now. Not much farther, but I am trying to work between this map, the heretic map, and others things in my life. I will get it done though.

Nuxius said:
I like your usage of the light texture in the first two shots, the way you have it makes it look like a grate with fire behind it, which is a perfect fit for the dark marble look.

Sorry that I removed that look, but I might be able to put it elsewhere in my map.

I will leave the pics for the original hallways so you can see a comparison. Any feedback is appreciated.

Old Post 06-23-08 09:41 #
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

ImageShack took forever the fullsize screenshots, but they're looking great!

Old Post 06-23-08 10:30 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lord_Z

I like those better than the first ones as well. It matches with the outside a lot better. Keep it up.

Old Post 06-23-08 12:23 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheCupboard
Forum Regular

Keep up the good work. You seem to be headed in the right direction.

Old Post 06-23-08 14:58 #
TheCupboard is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tango

Looks awesome :D

Old Post 06-24-08 01:47 #
Tango is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nuxius
Forum Regular

Dreadopp said:
Sorry that I removed that look, but I might be able to put it elsewhere in my map.

Hey, it's your map, not mine, so no need to apologize. ;)

Anyway, I like the look of the new area, especially the structure.

Only complaint I would have is that I don't think the brick flat(FLOOR5_4) looks right on top of the metal(METLN30) at all. Using it that way makes them both look like wallpaper versus looking like actual metal or brick.

Old Post 06-24-08 03:11 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Christoph

Looks ominous as hell!! I really like the small hallways in the first shots - you should include them somewhere on the map - they'd make for some freaky tight battles and nasty surprises! Or just as a creepy interlude between areas.

The big room(s) also look good for a foyer kind of area - I just think some of the textures seem out of place (in the second shot the shawn2 and rock3 in particular). Also in the first outside area, it might look slightly better to have the pentagram face in the middle, with 2 demon faces beside it rather than vice-versa (just a personal preference).

Keep it freaky! ;)

Old Post 07-25-08 20:40 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

I am glad that you like it :).

Christoph said:
Looks ominous as hell!! I really like the small hallways in the first shots - you should include them somewhere on the map - they'd make for some freaky tight battles and nasty surprises! Or just as a creepy interlude between areas.

I will try my best to include those hallways in another area of my map, and have them include a tough battle, just for you ;).

Christoph said:
The big room(s) also look good for a foyer kind of area - I just think some of the textures seem out of place (in the second shot the shawn2 and rock3 in particular).

That room was actually recycled from one of my other maps that I was working on (a personal project), so I wouldn't worry about those textures too much as I am planning to change some things around.

Christoph said:
Also in the first outside area, it might look slightly better to have the pentagram face in the middle, with 2 demon faces beside it rather than vice-versa (just a personal preference).

I actually like the way the faces are at the moment. I will wait on what other people think of those before I change it ;).

Sorry, but no real progress on my CC4 map these days. Been feeling a bit down and I am kinda stuck on what to do next. Hopefully in about a week, I will have something else to show. But, I don't guarantee anything. :(

Old Post 07-25-08 22:10 #
Use3D
Forum Legend

Don't push it, there's plenty of time.

Old Post 07-25-08 23:57 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kyka
Loser

Map looks fantastic. Very creative and original. Hope you come out of the dumps soon. (Or better yet, have already come out of them.) :)

Old Post 08-28-08 22:17 #
Kyka is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bloodskull
Reputation is a bubble which a man bursts when he tries to blow it for himself.

In the hallways add some wood pillars on the sides and ceiling.

Old Post 09-02-08 14:27 #
Bloodskull is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doom Marine
took his ball and went home

Seems like a hell map, needs a fire and brimstone payoff somewhere... otherwise you're just cockteasing with your hell theme ;)

Old Post 09-05-08 07:11 #
Doom Marine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Morpheus

Ben, your screenies are pretty good, but you may want to use some bordering to avoid texture clashes.
Besides this, keep it up, you have all the time. I know that you're pretty busy in this period, so take it easy... ;)

Old Post 09-05-08 10:14 #
Morpheus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

Indeed it is a, mostly, hell map. I am going to add an outdoor area. Don't worry, it will be better than that square-ish room in the first two screen shots on this page ;). I am also throwing some castle type areas and a little bit of a tech style area (a little).

Morpheus said:
you may want to use some bordering to avoid texture clashes.

Yeah, I will fix that up a bit when I get a chance to work on my map later on. Like I said before, that new hallway was recycled from one of my other older maps, so that will be fixed. ;)

I was planning to take a non-stop 2 hour, or so, period to work on my map, but my computer got hit by a rather nasty virus and is still being worked on at this time. If I am lucky, I won't have to end up formatting my computer and losing all my work on maps and other stuff.

Old Post 09-05-08 21:40 #
Dreadopp

Sorry for the double post.

Okay, so I haven't done much work on my map for awhile, but that's changed. Since it is the long weekend, I plan on working on my map a lot. Today, I got a fair bit done. 15%, or so, now. I'll just update my first post with the percentage now. Here's some screenshots for your satisfaction. :)

Cave Room Shot 1
Cave Room Shot 2
As you can see, I completely revamped this room from the original screenshots that I took.

Next Room
Now, I am not too sure about this room (texture-wise). If you have better suggestions about texture choices, go ahead and let me know.

I probably won't get much work done during the week, but on the upcoming weekends and Christmas break, I should get quite a lot done (hopefully). Let me know what you think. :)

Old Post 12-06-08 03:08 #
lupinx-Kassman

Thats looking really superb dude. As for the last shot, I personally don't have any complaints. The northwest wall seems a little bare, but I am assuming that is just because you aren't finished with the room yet.

Old Post 12-06-08 05:37 #
lupinx-Kassman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lord_Z

I really love those cave shots. Nice job :)

Old Post 12-06-08 19:43 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

Thanks. :)

lupinx-Kassman said:
As for the last shot, I personally don't have any complaints. The northwest wall seems a little bare, but I am assuming that is just because you aren't finished with the room yet.

Yeah, I still got some work to do around the edges of that room. It will look better, don't worry. ;)

Old Post 12-06-08 22:01 #
Morpheus

It's looking good, Ben! The cave shots are very nice. :)

Old Post 12-06-08 22:54 #
Morpheus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

Finally got some more time to seriously work on my map a bit. Here's a couple more shots of the newest room:
Shot 1
Shot 2

I also increased my percentage to 35%. Yay!

Old Post 08-05-09 01:22 #
Use3D
Forum Legend

I'm excited about this one.

Old Post 08-05-09 01:54 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kyka
Loser

Looking good Dreadopp. Yaaay. :)

Old Post 08-11-09 17:51 #
Kyka is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote