Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC 4 Map 17: Metastisize (100% Complete and Submitted)
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:28. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Aleaver
Can't spll

Ok the map is again ready for playtesting..And there are some noteable changes this time..Gameplay mostly. So all beta testers please download this ASAP...This map plays differently now. Same link as before. If you have lost or forgot the link, PM me. There have been some detail changes too..Mosly small additions, and few subtractions too. Most of the new sectors went to monster telportation into the map. AKA Traps. Again I have to thank The Green Herring for giving me the info on ZenNode so I could add all this stuff to the map without going over Boom's Seg Limit.

Here are the current stats:

Sectors: 2716
Linedefs: 13836
Sidedefs: 25202
Vertices: 11920
Things: 1319
Segs: 30,239
Filesize: 2.68 MB
Playtime:(approx) 35-38 min

**EDIT** A DoomBuilder Shot

Last edited by Aleaver on 10-05-08 at 22:32

Old Post 10-05-08 22:08 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Anima Zero
Forum Regular

Very nice map I have to say. I played the last version of it and like it too.

Liked the red/blue theme prevalent in the level. Kinda reminded me of AV Map 31 a bit.

Gameplay...plenty of monsters which I always like. Ammo balance is perfect. Enough if you know what to use on each group of monsters.

Health...could do with a few less medkits in the red/blue areas you teleport up to, hit some switches, and teleport again to get a key. Seems a bit much to me there.

I'd also take out some of the stimpacks in the big room with the keycards. Maybe take out roughly 1/4 to 1/2 of the stimpacks in that room? Rough estimate there.

Secrets weren't too hard to find either (Found all of them).

Aside from that, I did a demo of my run through the level. UV-Max in 16:17 with 100% kills & secrets. Certainly not the best by any means (That archie by the RL was refusing to give me a clear shot with my SSG), but this was just a run to see what was changed.

Finally, possible improvements to the level besides what I mentioned about the health above:

#1: Possibly have a cybie teleport into the room with the two keycards after snagging the BK (Perhaps on top of what already teleports in after grabbing the BK)? I'm not sure how well this would work, if at all, but I figured I'd toss that out there since it popped up in my mind. Failing that, maybe some cacos instead to mix up what's in that room after getting the BK?

#2: The final archie should be allowed to come all the way out into the hallway where it can possibly resurrect enemies. Makes it so if you don't react to it quickly enough, things could sail out of control.

That's all for now. Excellent level to play through.

Last thing...I was going to attach the demo, but I don't see the option for it anymore. Was it removed again or am I just blind :P?

Old Post 10-06-08 16:42 #
Anima Zero is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
justanotherfool

There doesn't seem to be support for attachments in this subforum. You'll probably require an external link, AZ.

16:17 looks like a pretty good time, by the way.

Old Post 10-06-08 16:57 #
justanotherfool is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

AFAIK, the demos forum is the only one on Doomworld that supports the attachment option. External links are needed elsewhere.

Old Post 10-06-08 17:39 #
Death-Destiny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Anima Zero
Forum Regular

Death-Destiny said:
AFAIK, the demos forum is the only one on Doomworld that supports the attachment option. External links are needed elsewhere.
I didn't know that :P. Learn something new every day.

Anyways, I uploaded it to Megaupload. Download my demo here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VA2M52BV

I assume this should be fine for now.

Old Post 10-06-08 18:07 #
Anima Zero is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Cool demo Anima!..I didn't think anyone could go through the map like that...Tells ya how much I know! Anyways I not to sure about adding a Cybie into the map..But I sure could add some other monsters into the BK trap, thats for sure! Also noticed in your demo that one of the demons that teleports in, in the exit area gets stuck on the door..Hmm didn't see that before, and I will look and see why the archie in the same area doesn't go too much past the exit door..Maybe I have some lines marked as block monster or something. Thanks again for the demo man!

Old Post 10-06-08 18:55 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Ok new editon of the map is ready..I dialed down the health abit..by taking some out and changeing some medkits to stimpacks. Chanaged afew monsters and added like 1 or so, I mention this cause of the type of monster I added and where. I hope it make a difference. The ending area is now different too..I hope its better. Beta testers please download this ASAP. Same link as before!

Old Post 10-11-08 17:18 #
Anima Zero
Forum Regular

Took a run through the latest version. Easily a step up in difficulty. Health is now just fine where it is.

Final battle now is much much harder. Imagine my response after killing an archie there.

*Still hears the reviving of monsters*

Me: "There's another one? Oh hell..."

I ended up having to run past some of those enemies because the SSG wasn't going to be enough and rockets weren't going to be optimal at that range.

Barely survived that with like single digit health and armor remaining. Somehow got myself out of that one without dying from there on.

Time this go around was slower on UV (19:02 I believe). Pretty nice surprise after snagging the BK. Was expecting some cacos to mix up what's in the crowd there. Was not expecting what else popped out.

Anyways, I don't see anything else that needs to be changed ATM. Would like to hear what other beta-testers thought of the final battle though, if only to hear of any close call war stories that may come out of that area.

Old Post 10-11-08 19:00 #
Aleaver
Can't spll

Anima Zero said:
Took a run through the latest version. Easily a step up in difficulty. Health is now just fine where it is.

Final battle now is much much harder. Imagine my response after killing an archie there.

*Still hears the reviving of monsters*

Me: "There's another one? Oh hell..."

I ended up having to run past some of those enemies because the SSG wasn't going to be enough and rockets weren't going to be optimal at that range.

Barely survived that with like single digit health and armor remaining. Somehow got myself out of that one without dying from there on.

Time this go around was slower on UV (19:02 I believe). Pretty nice surprise after snagging the BK. Was expecting some cacos to mix up what's in the crowd there. Was not expecting what else popped out.

Anyways, I don't see anything else that needs to be changed ATM. Would like to hear what other beta-testers thought of the final battle though, if only to hear of any close call war stories that may come out of that area.

Awesome. I got the response I was looking for. Cause when I saw your last playthrough of the map, I noticed that for the most part you where just breezeing through like it was a walk in the park, so to speak, so I thought about it for awhile and came up with an easy answer..Changing afew monsters without adding them..What a difference it made. I too am looking forward to other beta testers reactions to this version..I hope it is the end all of versions of this map and the one that will end up in the final project when its released! Thanks again man!

Old Post 10-11-08 22:09 #
justanotherfool

Here's one of the beta testers... :)

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you once again, but I have a pretty packed schedule at the moment. The revamped version of the level is really really good, and there's certainly a vast improvement as far as difficulty is concerned.

I applaud the clever use of archviles. Too often mappers don't take advantage of their ability to raise dead monsters, but that isn't a criticism that can be applied to this map.

I'm pleased to report that I've recorded yet another demo, and if it's war stories you're looking for, this one should be to your liking. There were a few points where I thought it was over for sure, but somehow lived to tell the tale. I had seen Anima's demo and played the new version once before starting my recording session (dying at the end), but I still managed to forget about some of the viles, and had a hard time with the end of the map. Time is 18:5x, I believe.

A few more improvements to be suggested, nothing too major though.

1. I still don't like the staircase leading down as you teleport into the base. If you watch the demo, you'll see how restricted my movement is even when I'm trying to race down at full pelt. I'd much prefer it if you could run off the side of the staircase, allowing you to get down immediately. You don't seem to be able to walk off the bits at the top of the staircase (on the shotgun platform) where there appears to be only empty space (not sure if this is due to the monsters below, but I seem to remember trying it when they were dead and having no luck). It doesn't make sense to have impassible lines when there's nothing to suggest that you shouldn't be able to jump the stairs.

2. In the big room with the stairs leading to the switches that lower the bars in the other parts of the base, you seem to have to trigger linedefs at the bottom of each set of stairs before the enemies at the stairs will teleport in. This means it's possible to use one of the sets of stairs only and not have the second set of enemies teleport in, which for some reason bothers me. Maybe situate the linedefs so that you're guaranteed to trigger both regardless of whether you use both sets of stairs or not.

Here's the link to the demo, by the way.
http://rapidshare.com/files/1553604...pedmax.zip.html

Old Post 10-19-08 02:23 #
justanotherfool is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

justanotherfool said:
Here's one of the beta testers... :)

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you once again, but I have a pretty packed schedule at the moment. The revamped version of the level is really really good, and there's certainly a vast improvement as far as difficulty is concerned.

I applaud the clever use of archviles. Too often mappers don't take advantage of their ability to raise dead monsters, but that isn't a criticism that can be applied to this map.

I'm pleased to report that I've recorded yet another demo, and if it's war stories you're looking for, this one should be to your liking. There were a few points where I thought it was over for sure, but somehow lived to tell the tale. I had seen Anima's demo and played the new version once before starting my recording session (dying at the end), but I still managed to forget about some of the viles, and had a hard time with the end of the map. Time is 18:5x, I believe.

A few more improvements to be suggested, nothing too major though.

1. I still don't like the staircase leading down as you teleport into the base. If you watch the demo, you'll see how restricted my movement is even when I'm trying to race down at full pelt. I'd much prefer it if you could run off the side of the staircase, allowing you to get down immediately. You don't seem to be able to walk off the bits at the top of the staircase (on the shotgun platform) where there appears to be only empty space (not sure if this is due to the monsters below, but I seem to remember trying it when they were dead and having no luck). It doesn't make sense to have impassible lines when there's nothing to suggest that you shouldn't be able to jump the stairs.

2. In the big room with the stairs leading to the switches that lower the bars in the other parts of the base, you seem to have to trigger linedefs at the bottom of each set of stairs before the enemies at the stairs will teleport in. This means it's possible to use one of the sets of stairs only and not have the second set of enemies teleport in, which for some reason bothers me. Maybe situate the linedefs so that you're guaranteed to trigger both regardless of whether you use both sets of stairs or not.

Here's the link to the demo, by the way.
http://rapidshare.com/files/1553604...pedmax.zip.html

Sweet demo man..Very cool..I did see one error at the end..Demon is stuck on the stairs..As for the other things you mentioned I will have to think about it..But I will say that the second issuse you mentioned had already crossed my mind, I decided to leave it like it was and see what others thought of it first, but that very well maybe changed like you said it should be. Or something very simular. Thanks again man!

Old Post 10-19-08 04:51 #
Aleaver
Can't spll

Well the map is officaly submitted. Thanks to all who gave me advice on the map and to the beta testing team for playing through it all the times they did to help get the map into the finished state that it is..Couldn't have done it without you guys! Thanks!

Old Post 10-30-08 11:28 #
Butts

Awesome! I can't wait to play it!

Old Post 10-31-08 02:49 #
Butts is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote