Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC 4 Map 17: Metastisize (100% Complete and Submitted)
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:19. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Aleaver
Can't spll

This is the thread for info on CC 4 map 17: Metastisize
Current status: 100% complete (Submitted To The Green Herring -Project leader)

Sectors: 2726
LineDefs: 13880
SideDefs: 25276
Vertices: 11955
Things: 1310
Segs : 30,335
File size: 2.69 MB
Playtime:(approx) 16-38 min(Depending on how you decide to go through the map..fore there are two ways that I have seen to go through the map. One of which takes half as long as the other. Comes down to the players speed skills.

I will of course update this thread with new screens/info in the future. Although I doubt there will be anything else posted here unless The Green Herring spots something for me to change!

Last edited by Aleaver on 10-30-08 at 11:36

Old Post 06-12-08 23:22 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Design-wise this looks pretty interesting, but I can't help but notice that you seem to be using some textures and flats over large areas, that work best as borders. For example, the floor4_8 with caution stripes, and the support3 on the staircase. In addition to not matching at all with the gray material that the front of the steps appear to made from, it just looks odd to me. The theming in general seems a bit odd, with the high-tech steps, Vrack computers, and blue gate flats mixed in with dark grungy metal and black gothic lights.

Of course it's your map and it's entirely your choice what to do with it, but a bit of flat bordering to better match flats with upper/lower textures and maybe a more consolidated theme wouldn't hurt.

Old Post 06-12-08 23:35 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

esselfortium said:
Design-wise this looks pretty interesting, but I can't help but notice that you seem to be using some textures and flats over large areas, that work best as borders. For example, the floor4_8 with caution stripes, and the support3 on the staircase. In addition to not matching at all with the gray material that the front of the steps appear to made from, it just looks odd to me. The theming in general seems a bit odd, with the high-tech steps, Vrack computers, and blue gate flats mixed in with dark grungy metal and black gothic lights.

Of course it's your map and it's entirely your choice what to do with it, but a bit of flat bordering to better match flats with upper/lower textures and maybe a more consolidated theme wouldn't hurt.

You made some good points there..Its just with all these new textures to choose from, I guess I got alittle carried away with expermenting with them. But the things you said did make sence and I have already made some changes:

Click here
Here
And here

Note* You can still see the orignal look of the map in the links on the top post.

Old Post 06-13-08 00:09 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Ahh, that's much better! One thing that still looks a bit odd to me, that I forgot to mention in my first post, is the dark shadows in the corners of the structure in the middle of shot 1. While I suppose the blue gate flats are the light source there, it's kind of weird to have it suddenly cut from bright to darkness in a squared-off shape, particularly with no sort of fading. The easiest thing to do there would just be to have them light up the entire octagonal structure evenly (using flat23 on the ceiling in the corners to match, if you're not already...it's too dark for me to tell).

Old Post 06-13-08 00:23 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nuxius
Forum Regular

Yeah, the new shots are definitely an improvement, looking great! I particularly like the outside shots, nice ambience you have set up there.

Old Post 06-13-08 03:59 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

Your map is looking really cool so far, Aleaver. :)

Old Post 06-13-08 07:15 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Butts

its looking nice, and its got a cool design too.

Old Post 06-13-08 17:47 #
Butts is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Ok Been working on map 17 off and on for the last few days. Mainly on the first main area...Got it looking like I want. So these new screens should be what will be seen in the final product.
Oh and I have made a page at my site for the screenshots.

Click here

There is more to the map past the door in the last shot but its completely bare at the moment fore that area is where I have stopped at the moment.

Some other info on the map:

Vertices: 665
Linedefs: 810
Sidedefs: 1494
Sectors: 165
Things: 18
Total Percentage complete: 5%

Old Post 06-15-08 03:43 #
Aleaver
Can't spll

I had a small idea come to me and I want your guy's opnion on it.
Click here - Notice the green lights in the UAC textures...Does that look ok? or is it a stupid idea? I like it personaly but at the same time I can see how it could seem dumb.

Oh and here is a shot of the newest section of the map..(well the start of it anyways, got alot more to add to it.)

Old Post 06-24-08 04:20 #
Use3D
Forum Legend

No the green lights look awesome. Just go with your gut, you've got the skills. I'm sure the map will be mucho fun, they always are.

Old Post 06-25-08 00:31 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

A bit more progress:

Click here and here

Old Post 06-25-08 22:13 #
TheCupboard
Forum Regular

I have to agree. Those green lights are a good addition. It's always good to use textures that blend in creatively with each other.

Old Post 06-26-08 01:48 #
TheCupboard is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Four new shots ready. Comments of course are welcome.

Old Post 07-01-08 05:02 #
Kyka
Loser

That new room looks great. Very imposing.

If I could make one suggestion, it is that the floor looks slightly too large with just that one colour. Perhaps a sector with a slight recessed area in the ground and a different texture, or a path across the floor or something to break it up a bit..

Just a thought.

Great work though. I think this will will be a very cool level.

Old Post 07-17-08 09:02 #
Kyka is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

@Kyka: Yea I am currently brainstorming more ideas for that section of the map...It already looks slightly different, but I will wait to post new shots until I get afew more additons put in. Thanks for the comments though!

Old Post 07-18-08 07:02 #
Aleaver
Can't spll

Got sometime today to really get somethings done with my map..Its up to 15% complete.

Here are the stats:

Vertices: 1804
Linedefs: 2257
Sidedefs: 4278
Sectors: 417
Things: 28

New Screens to come soon.

Old Post 08-11-08 00:25 #
Aleaver
Can't spll

As promised, new screenshots.

Click Here
Here
Here
Here
andhere

Old Post 08-11-08 22:47 #
TheMionicDonut

cool pics. Cant wait to play it.

Old Post 08-11-08 23:03 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lord_Z

You'd think a place with that many lights would be brighter ;) JK, it looks really good, keep it up.

Old Post 08-12-08 01:38 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Thanks for the comments all...It helps alot!

Old Post 08-12-08 05:45 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Nice screenshots Aleaver, I quite like the large rooms perfect for an nice battle with larger amounts of monsters.

Old Post 08-12-08 18:55 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Yea I am going to leave the very middle of that area open..(see first shot in my post above). The sides are little more cluttered.

Old Post 08-12-08 20:59 #
Aleaver
Can't spll

Some more progress. Not too much in the way of new stuff to show really, just alittle. Again I have not had as much time as I would like to work on this map, But I am getting somewhere with it none the less, just not as fast as I would like.

Old Post 08-25-08 19:50 #
Aleaver
Can't spll

More Screenige:

Click here and

here and
here and
here and
here and

here and
here and
here and
here and
here and last but not least
here.

I think I have finaly figured out what this map is going to be like. That sounds bad but it happens alot with me. Not knowing what the hell I am doing until months after I start working on something, as is the case with this map.

Comments welcome of course!

Old Post 08-28-08 01:01 #
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

Perfect! I love it. The red/blue contrast thing is awesome. I like all the circular lights. I'm not sure what this reminds me of. Maybe like laser-tag or something, with a dark room with half of it being the red team's zone and the other half being the blue team. Anyway, I like it!

Old Post 08-28-08 01:39 #
Death-Destiny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Glad to hear it DD! Thanks for your comments! To be completely honest I wasn't sure how people would react to the map thus far. I can easily see how people would think this is some sort of CTF map.

I also forgot to mention I am thinking about a name change for the map. But not to sure at the moment.

Old Post 08-28-08 01:45 #
TheMionicDonut

It looks alot like a CTF map...

EDIT: LOL i didnt see taht last post.

Old Post 08-28-08 02:07 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

TheMionicDonut said:
It looks alot like a CTF map...

EDIT: LOL i didnt see taht last post.

Yep...It does look like a CTF map...I guess in the long run if some one wants to use it as a base for a CTF map it wouldn't be all that hard to do. lol

Old Post 08-28-08 02:35 #
Kyka
Loser

Y'know, I can't help but think that this map looks like a CTF map. (j/k, I did read all the prior posts).

I really like the layout. There are some maps that I see screenies of that make me just want to go exploring, make me really curious as to what is just around the next corner, the next area. This looks like one of those maps.

I know that that is not very objective, it doesn't tell you much, but it hopefully tells you that you are doing something right anyway. :) If it helps any, I really like the little details that are scattered around... the wall inserts, the lighting, the texture selection etc.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Old Post 09-11-08 13:45 #
Kyka is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Kyka said:
Y'know, I can't help but think that this map looks like a CTF map. (j/k, I did read all the prior posts).

I really like the layout. There are some maps that I see screenies of that make me just want to go exploring, make me really curious as to what is just around the next corner, the next area. This looks like one of those maps.

I know that that is not very objective, it doesn't tell you much, but it hopefully tells you that you are doing something right anyway. :) If it helps any, I really like the little details that are scattered around... the wall inserts, the lighting, the texture selection etc.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks for your comments as always!!...Just wait till you see the new things I am adding to the map..Alot of areas are different now..as well as a new starting area that I just thought up...Screens soon to come!

Old Post 09-12-08 02:00 #