Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 - Map 07 - <untitled>

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:58. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

I'm probably going to end up coming close to the segs limit, but we'll see what happens.

I'm done with about 75% of the level, design-wise, although I'm working 70 hours a week right now so who knows when I'll ever find time to finish it, probably not until the fall when I'm back at school.

But here are some pics just so you know there is a solid base in place and if I can ever get rolling again it shouldn't be long.

The starting room
Parking garage
Upper lobby type place
Cafeteria, showing off the "3d" skylights that I like to mess around with.

If you couldn't tell, I tend to put enemies/weapons/scenery in the level only after design is almost entirely complete, so that's why the map looks so barren right now.

Old Post 06-13-08 02:10 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

This looks pretty interesting, and it's definitely going to be unique in the set due to your style that seems to aim for realism. I've got to point out, though, it seems lacking in height variation. If you could find a way to fit in some balconies, windows into higher/lower areas, etc. into the layout, I think the gameplay would definitely benefit.

Also, the skylights in the cafeteria look kind of blocky. I think they might look better if you increased the heights in increments of 1, even if you kept the same number of steps (so that they wouldn't come up as high, but would look smoother), or perhaps doubled it. I would suggest maybe just biting the bullet and doing some tedious 1x1x1 fakeslopes there, but if you're already worried about hitting the seglimit that probably wouldn't be such a good idea :P

Old Post 06-13-08 03:00 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Kid Airbag said:
I'm probably going to end up coming close to the segs limit, but we'll see what happens.

heh, heard this before! Seriously though, I'm looking forward to it. Happy you decided to do another CC.

Old Post 06-13-08 03:03 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrick
someone employed to clean and maintain a building

looking nice, but i might add that the all grey look doesnt quite jive well with my asthetic sense.

Old Post 06-13-08 03:10 #
Patrick is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nuxius
Forum Regular

esselfortium said:
This looks pretty interesting, and it's definitely going to be unique in the set due to your style that seems to aim for realism.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking.

esselfortium said:
Also, the skylights in the cafeteria look kind of blocky. I think they might look better if you increased the heights in increments of 1, even if you kept the same number of steps (so that they wouldn't come up as high, but would look smoother), or perhaps doubled it. I would suggest maybe just biting the bullet and doing some tedious 1x1x1 fakeslopes there, but if you're already worried about hitting the seglimit that probably wouldn't be such a good idea :P

You could also just make a custom texture for it with the required slope steepness. Would save quite a few linedefs there.

Anyway, inputting more ideas, I think the cafeteria area could use some light variation. It just seems so, flat. Some lighting would give it depth and make your details stand out more.

Other than that, looking great!

Old Post 06-13-08 03:52 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

Looking very good so far :). IMO, it has a nice earthly feel to it.

Old Post 06-13-08 07:17 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Butts

this level.... already won a place in my heart. hehe.

i love it. kinda reminds me of kama sutra, at least the maps more aimed at realism.

keep up the good work.

Old Post 06-13-08 17:50 #
Butts is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lord_Z

This level is really reminding me of some of the stuff in 2002ado. I'd have to agree with making the sky boxes less blocky but still, great stuff.

Old Post 06-13-08 20:51 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote