Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 - Map 05 - Inner Fear
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:09. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

My new map for the Community Chest 4.It should look familiar for some people, donating this to CC4 feels good since I now have an reason to finish this damn thing.
http://i40.tinypic.com/j0cubk.png

http://i44.tinypic.com/wix1dv.png

http://i41.tinypic.com/28vt2z7.png

Last edited by Dutch Doomer on 03-13-09 at 14:44

Old Post 06-14-08 17:36 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

This looks excessively kickass.

One minor suggestion: maybe put ceiling/floor light transfers on the sectors in front of those sp_hot demon faces near the ceiling, so there's not a lit-up triangle visible in front of them.

Old Post 06-14-08 17:44 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Thanks I fixed it the triagles are gone, I forgot to use tag 261 as well.I think I brighten the demon faces up some more.

Old Post 06-14-08 18:01 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

Oh, I knew it! I knew you'd also be making a red and black map, Dutch! =P

That's good though since our maps are currently in sequence. I like how this is looking so far. I think it's neat how some of the bricks are missing to reveal Hell behind them. Nice work so far. =D

Old Post 06-14-08 18:19 #
Death-Destiny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dreadopp

It looks really good so far :). I really like red and black together like that, and I am not sure why. :)

Old Post 06-14-08 18:42 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Red and black are the perfect colors for an hell map imo, the missing bricks idea came from my Temple of Acheron map.Its going to be an old hellish ruin inside an large cave.

Old Post 06-14-08 19:19 #
Lord_Z

Well, with all the new black textures everybody is seeing this great combination. I would not be surprised if most people used this combo in their maps. It's looking very nice so far.

Old Post 06-14-08 20:10 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

It would look better with some UAC remains in the detail, just to be 'dirty'.

Old Post 06-14-08 21:40 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

The starting room is finished.I will connect it to the room on the screen in my first post, it might change an bit I think its an bit small.Too bad the sky doesn't tile on the Y-axis, so I'm not going for an void map.

@Printz I will consider that idea.

Last edited by Dutch Doomer on 06-18-08 at 23:12

Old Post 06-14-08 21:52 #
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

Oh! Exellent, excellent. I like what I see. =)

BTW, if you really want to make a void-style map, I think making the void area textured with the ALLBLACK texture and ALLBLAKF flat tends to look pretty voidish if you want to try it out and see how it looks. Since your map is red and black anyway, it would probably look pretty good.

Old Post 06-14-08 22:11 #
Death-Destiny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium

Death-Destiny said:
BTW, if you really want to make a void-style map, I think making the void area textured with the ALLBLACK texture and ALLBLAKF flat tends to look pretty voidish if you want to try it out and see how it looks. Since your map is red and black anyway, it would probably look pretty good.

One problem with this is that projectiles and bullets would visibly hit the edge of the fake void if you fired outside the map. As I mentioned in the other thread, it *is* possible to make a fully Boom-compatible void map that avoids double-sky HOM while still looking like you're using sky floor/ceiling in the same sector, if you're a bit tricky about it.

Old Post 06-14-08 22:15 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

esselfortium said:

One problem with this is that projectiles and bullets would visibly hit the edge of the fake void if you fired outside the map.

So what? The projectiles and bullets go boom out there in the 'void'. Which is consistent with 'void''s said purpose of acting like vacuum for the player, but through extension, destroying everything. Conversely, I don't like how rockets and other projectiles vanish too early on hitting the standard sky-background surface.

I first thought the 'void-style' wording referred to Cyb's wad.

Old Post 06-14-08 23:01 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

*coughscreencough*

Last edited by Dutch Doomer on 06-18-08 at 23:13

Old Post 06-15-08 00:02 #
alien8
Mini-Member

esselfortium said:

One problem with this is that projectiles and bullets would visibly hit the edge of the fake void if you fired outside the map. As I mentioned in the other thread, it *is* possible to make a fully Boom-compatible void map that avoids double-sky HOM while still looking like you're using sky floor/ceiling in the same sector, if you're a bit tricky about it.

I don't want to run this thread off topic, so can you point me in the direction of a wad that showcases this? I'm having some HOM issues on a level I'm working on right now.

Old Post 06-15-08 00:04 #
alien8 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

I wouldn't worry about projectiles exploding in the Void. It is likely the player either will not shoot much into that area and if they do, will not stare at their projectiles for like 10 seconds while they wait for it to explode. Bullets will probably hit too far away to really see. And besides, making giganticly tall rooms is not good for the engine anyway, not to mention the sky does not tile like Dutch said.

As such, I think it would be worthwhile to make a pitch-black void as it would otherwise be interesting, though I'd imagine Dutch has thought of something else by now.

alien8 said:
I don't want to run this thread off topic, so can you point me in the direction of a wad that showcases this? I'm having some HOM issues on a level I'm working on right now.

I'm pretty sure Eternity has the double-sky HOM and maybe a few other ports. Essel suggested in another thread that one could make an absurdly tall room so that one could not see the floor or ceiling and could therefore give one or the other a flat other than the sky. Like Essel said, Vrack3 would be the WAD to be pointed in the direction of. =)

Last edited by Death-Destiny on 06-15-08 at 00:10

Old Post 06-15-08 00:04 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

I hate working on this map allready.

[edit]I deleted the map.

Last edited by Dutch Doomer on 06-15-08 at 00:53

Old Post 06-15-08 00:21 #
Death-Destiny
Forum Regular

dutch devil said:
I hate working on this map allready.

[edit]I deleted the map.

Are you for real? It looked cool too...

=(

Old Post 06-15-08 01:15 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Yeah its gone I didn't liked it, the map pissed me off for some reason.

Old Post 06-15-08 01:39 #
esselfortium

WHAT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old Post 06-15-08 02:01 #
Dreadopp

But it looked so cool D:

Old Post 06-15-08 04:36 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Butts

awesome

edit: not awesome anymore, its gone.

Last edited by Butts on 06-17-08 at 00:37

Old Post 06-15-08 09:16 #
Butts is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Nuxius
Forum Regular

Unfortunately, I had an idea this would happen, as Dutch's last black/red hell map met the same fate, sadly. :(

Old Post 06-15-08 09:37 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

dutch devil said:
Yeah its gone I didn't liked it, the map pissed me off for some reason.
Shit. And to think how well Cacodemons would have fit the red cavernous interiors. And it's not First of April, or thirteenth of month, to work fine as a joke.

Are you even gonna quit mapping for CC4, out of lack of ideas (that post of yours suggests just that, current lack of ideas), or rather map something else for MAP29, probably something mundane but structurally sound, like a military & research center? Well I for one couldn't expect YOU to cancel a map. :)

Old Post 06-15-08 10:41 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

I feel burned up after completing two maps this week, I'm guessing that is the reason.Or maybe black and red is just too evil even for me.

Old Post 06-15-08 16:20 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/7832/lololololololololcy1.png
Are sectors two units wide gonna be causing problems on some ports?, I want to create loads of these cracks between my marble flats.I might post an couple of new shots this weekend.

Old Post 06-17-08 19:27 #
esselfortium

That shouldn't cause problems, just as long as you make sure not to have so many cracks in the floor that you hit the seg limit. :P

edit:

I'm pretty sure Eternity has the double-sky HOM and maybe a few other ports.

That's actually been fixed in recent Eternity SVN versions. It's caused by Doom merging all sky visplanes into one when rendering.

Last edited by esselfortium on 06-18-08 at 06:20

Old Post 06-17-08 20:01 #
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

It's sad you can't put air between tiles and lava, as you could in Quake and other 3d games.

If this map weren't for a community project, I'd mod a small monster or hazard that would erupt from those tile cracks. In my view everything needs a purpose.

Old Post 06-17-08 21:51 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

esselfortium said:
That shouldn't cause problems, just as long as you make sure not to have so many cracks in the floor that you hit the seg limit. :P

I never worry about getting close to the seg limit, most if not all maps I create are well within the limits.I had this idea of an hell map thats getting slowly ripped apart so you see cracks appear, or bricks that are missing etc.I put those cracks in my maps on random places and with different shapes, very time consuming but it will definitly add to the atmoshpere.

Old Post 06-17-08 22:31 #
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

esselfortium said:

One problem with [using all-black textures for the "sky"] is that projectiles and bullets would visibly hit the edge of the fake void if you fired outside the map. As I mentioned in the other thread, it *is* possible to make a fully Boom-compatible void map that avoids double-sky HOM while still looking like you're using sky floor/ceiling in the same sector, if you're a bit tricky about it.

A minute of thought led me to this possible solution:
http://www.zshare.net/download/137839589060cfc8/

(Load 'er up with the texture wad. MAP01)

It prevents bullet puffs from appearing, but projectiles still explode when they hit the edge and I'm not sure why. I'm on the right track, at least. This method should work identically on all ports.

Old Post 06-18-08 01:37 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
andrewj

dutch devil said:
Are sectors two units wide gonna be causing problems on some ports?

There is a potential problem for Software ports:

When the nodes builder does it's thing, it often has to split segs. The issue is that vertices of split segs have the same precision as normal vertices: the 1x1 grid. Hence there is the possibility that a very narrow sector (especially if diagonal) will get messed up by the imprecise split points causing some segs to overlap where they shouldn't.

I'd say 4 units is the safest (glitch-free) smallest size, 2 units might be OK (especially if purely vertical or horizontal), and 1 unit is asking for trouble.

Old Post 06-18-08 05:50 #
andrewj is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote