Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 - Map 11: Substructure

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:35. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kirby

Well, I started on my map for the moment. It'll probably progress slowly, but I'll post updates as time goes on. Here's the first screenshot (the only room I have) so far, and personally I think it's not even that good :P

COMPLETION - 5%
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/849/cc41aw0.png

EDIT: I think I'll name it "Substructure" and here's something else for you to look at o_o

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4615/cc4k1jy4.png

Last edited by Kirby on 02-11-09 at 14:38

Old Post 06-15-08 07:14 #
Kirby is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

I like the overall looks of it!

If you don't mind me making a couple of suggestions:

CEIL5_M is a better-matching flat for METAL-based textures (like the horizontal bars around the skylights) than CEIL5_2, which is more fitting for BROWN96-based textures.

The red lights in the middle might look better if the borders around them had a consistent shape on its inside and outside -- right now it looks like it's curved around the outer edges, but completely straight on the inside. Also maybe lower the lights four units or so (or maybe just 8, putting them at the same height as the border), so that they look more like a solid structure rather than ceiling-level lights with a ring around them.

You may have done this yourself already, but make sure to keep in mind where those blue bars are going to go once they open: making them lower into the floor instead of raising into the ceiling will avoid the potential issue of them disappearing mysteriously into the sky that's visible right next to them.

While I can't say for sure since I haven't seen what you're planning to build around it, you might be able to make the ceiling feel more interesting by bringing down that center strip (with the lights on it, and the switch on the wall underneath it) 32 units or so below where it is now, maybe more. This effectively splits up the room into three compartments: two taller ones on the sides, and a shorter one in the middle.

Old Post 06-15-08 07:26 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kirby

Posting back here to say I am alive and on my way with an update. Will post screenies/progress soon :]

Old Post 07-02-08 23:29 #
Kirby is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kirby

[DOUBLE-POST]

Updated first post with map name and new screenie. Still working away slowly but surely :P

Old Post 07-21-08 05:25 #
esselfortium

Looks pretty good!

One small suggestion would be to fix the alignment on the gray tekgren on the far left of the new shot. You could split the line into two and manually align to correctly size the outlines to whatever length that wall is.

Old Post 07-21-08 05:35 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Christoph

Unfortunately I can't give as much expert advice as Esselfortium, but I must say it kicks ass already. I love the style and theme with those textures! Looks very industrial/doom/quake-ish...

Old Post 07-21-08 06:04 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kirby

So, teensy-weensy update here. I think I'm now 5% done (wheeeeeee!)
Also this -

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9103/cc4omgvc3.png

Old Post 02-04-09 00:48 #
TheMionicDonut

Six months for 5% progress.

Unacceptable!

However if you can keep up that quality and finish the map before deadline it looks great and i hope it plays just as well too.

Last edited by TheMionicDonut on 02-04-09 at 01:36

Old Post 02-04-09 01:09 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nuxius
Forum Regular

Hmmm, I could have sworn I posted in this thread before...

Anyway, map is looking nice so far, Kirby. :)

Old Post 02-04-09 04:57 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Yeah, I like it too, it reminds me more of Darkening 1 or 2 and that's fine with me. I hope it doesn't turn into an impossible-on-UV slaughtermap -- like Death-Destiny's, hahaha. I also see in the first screenshot of the first post metal gratings on the floor -- good for some release of noxious sewery gases heheheh :)

Old Post 02-04-09 09:58 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
lupinx-Kassman

Not to shabby Kirby, you got the brownish tech-base feel down pretty well. I am looking forward to this.

printz said:
I also see in the first screenshot of the first post metal gratings on the floor -- good for some release of noxious sewery gases heheheh :)

You really want toxic gas in cc4 don't you o_o.

Old Post 02-04-09 10:15 #
lupinx-Kassman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

printz said:
Yeah, I like it too, it reminds me more of Darkening 1 or 2 and that's fine with me. I hope it doesn't turn into an impossible-on-UV slaughtermap -- like Death-Destiny's, hahaha. I also see in the first screenshot of the first post metal gratings on the floor -- good for some release of noxious sewery gases heheheh :)

I'm about to release noxious sewery gases into your house.

Old Post 02-04-09 17:35 #
Macro11_1

Oh, nice contrast with lights and darks, while keeping it to a darker theme. Some of the rooms look small, is this linear? :) It looks like its some sort of advanced security research base, tell me though, where is the level... on the moon or something? It would be interesting to see some nice shots of what the environment surrounding the base is. I like it so far though, cant wait to play it, good luck!

Old Post 02-04-09 20:54 #
Macro11_1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kirby

OK. Couldn't sleep last night, so after a cup of coffee this morning I got some work done on this map and have this in progress:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9987/cc4pillarop1.png

Macro11_1 wrote
is this linear? :) It looks like its some sort of advanced security research base

My aim is to be non-linear with this map, as most of the levels I've made in the past tend to be quite linear in form. I'll have to see what comes of the end result :P

Old Post 02-11-09 14:44 #
Christoph

I am impressed by your texturing/detailing skills and love the look of the screenshots so far. If only they weren't so dark though - in doom dark is generally good, but for screenshots I like to able to see every detail and corner of a room (or maybe this monitor is too dark). Anyway, there's nothing like some quality competition to bring out the best in all involved in this project!

EDIT: I take back the part about them being too dark - it seems you've changed the screenshots since then, so it is no longer applicable. But the new ones looks even better!

Last edited by Christoph on 06-19-09 at 13:49

Old Post 02-13-09 15:44 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Macro11_1

Nice, loving that last pic. Just looks dark and sexy. :D

Old Post 02-17-09 13:24 #
Macro11_1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kirby

So, uh, I, uh, have some sketches I started working on

Sketch 1

Sketch 2

Soon to have in map form (assuming I get a certain package tomorrow)

*Note* - Not measured precisely to scale :P

Old Post 07-22-11 04:22 #
Processingcontrol

After 3 years of work on this, what's the completion percentage?

Old Post 07-22-11 18:26 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kirby

Processingcontrol said:
After 3 years of work on this, what's the completion percentage?
I'm sad to say its been at a standstill of ~15%. My main problem was trying to figure out how I was designing the main underground bit of my map, I just kept running into walls. Everytime I had an idea and went back to work on it the design flopped/didn't fit in/couldn't work off of it/etc. Now that I have this planned out I know exactly how to fit it in (also drew another sketch yesterday)and I have layouts drawn for just about everything else I want to add to the map. From here on out you should catch me with updates in this thread every so often

Old Post 07-28-11 18:35 #