Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 - Map 20 "Interstellar Sickness"
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:23. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
lupinx-Kassman

Okay, so I don't usually like to take screenshots of a map until it's nearing completion. However, I want to show that im not sitting around doing nothing :P.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/cc4_01.png

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/cc4_02.png

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/Quickie.png

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/cc4_04.png

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/cc4_05.png

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/cc4_06.png

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/cc4_07.png

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/cc4_08.png

Edit: Yes, I am now aware that my grammar is suck.
Edit2: Most areas in the map shown above look different then when I took the shots, the area in shot 3 had changed so much that I believed it warranted retaking it from another angle, hence the new (and noticeably out of place due to the resolution) image.

Last edited by lupinx-Kassman on 05-29-10 at 07:40

Old Post 08-31-08 06:30 #
lupinx-Kassman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kaiser
Doom64 Guru

Vrack 4?

Old Post 08-31-08 06:33 #
Kaiser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheMionicDonut

Fun looking as usual, any percentage of completion by any chance.

Old Post 08-31-08 06:45 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon

Kaiser said:
Vrack 4?

No kidding, heh.

Looks very cool so far Kassman :]

Old Post 08-31-08 07:25 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lord_Z

Wow, that looks really great. Awesome name too.

Old Post 09-01-08 14:11 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

I think I am gonna love that map :p

Old Post 09-01-08 22:17 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Christoph

Yeah that is definitely kicking ass so far.

Old Post 09-02-08 13:09 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Patrick
someone employed to clean and maintain a building

Reminds me of Stargate from DVII

Old Post 09-02-08 16:41 #
Patrick is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Khorus
Strife!

Doesn't do much for me. Not that's it's poorly constructed or anything, quite the opposite. Just that;

Kaiser said:
Vrack 4?

Old Post 09-02-08 17:01 #
Khorus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Kaiser said:
Vrack 4?

Hopefully it does something to break this mold. Vrack is sweet and all, but..you know what they same about imitation. I won't judge it based on these screenshots. Keep it up!

Old Post 09-03-08 02:18 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
lupinx-Kassman

Thanks for the opinions guys! Like I said in the first post, I think it was a bit early to start taking screenshots, and those shots mostly take place near the beginning of the map. Don't worry, I plan on adding more variety, especially as the player progresses towards the "core" of the map :P.

Old Post 09-03-08 02:42 #
lupinx-Kassman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doom Marine
Banned

In shot 3, the architecture will benefit by replacing those high handrails with lower ones.

The overall lighting scheme can benefit from greater contrast between darkness and lighted zones. The uniformness of the lighting as I'm seeing there makes the environment appear flat. More lighting contrast = greater portrayal of environmental depth.

Old Post 09-05-08 07:09 #
Doom Marine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
lupinx-Kassman

Just a few shots to show that I haven't died or anything.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9791/blahscreen3.png

Doesn't look like much is going on in this shot, but that is because those little black cubby holes haven't risen yet.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/3821/blahscreen1.png

The five most important shades of color in doom. You will see a lot of it in this map (...as well as orange). Thanks goes to Essel for making the cool purple fluid flats.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3544/blahscreen2.png

As you get closer towards your goal, the map becomes much darker (as in err.. dark forces dark!). Yeah after seeing the texture set in Dark forces and Strife I couldn't avoid trying something different for the ending. It isn't just a silver space station after all.

Still a lot of work to do, (and the size of the map is seriously pushing it, I really need to do something about this.)

Old Post 08-14-09 00:52 #
Mr. Freeze
etc.

Your map is looking great! I love space station maps, so I'll have high hopes for this one.

Old Post 08-14-09 01:04 #
Mr. Freeze is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Looking very cool, though I do have two concerns:

1) The use of purple on translucent lines looks rather bad.

2) Textures taller than 255 (yes, 255. not 256) units tall aren't Boom-compatible and will tutti-frutti. ZDoom and newer versions of PrBoom can handle tall textures, but it's not strictly Boom-compatible. Heights like 192, 224, and 255 are okay, though.

Old Post 08-14-09 01:48 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

This kicks ass!

Old Post 08-14-09 02:02 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Do cosmic radiations come down from the space to harm the player, in the "outside" areas? :P

Old Post 08-14-09 07:29 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
lupinx-Kassman

printz said:
Do cosmic radiations come down from the space to harm the player, in the "outside" areas? :P

In doomy-land the player will not have to worry about such things as cosmic radiation, zero gravity, or any other space logic. After all it is the future, and the hero is probably wearing that funky green suit for more then just looks ;).
That being said, there will be a large area where the player will have to wade through orange and purple "coolants" that can harm the player :P.

Now as for Essel's first concern, I changed the color of the capsules. Does this look any better? (Also yes, the lighting mistake on the ceiling has already been pointed out :o.)

Thanks for the feedback guys, and I should have more to show soon.

Old Post 08-14-09 08:03 #
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

lupinx-Kassman said:

In doomy-land the player will not have to worry about such things as cosmic radiation, zero gravity, or any other space logic. After all it is the future, and the hero is probably wearing that funky green suit for more then just looks ;).

That's okay, it's just that I'm always concerned about the free passage of toxic or mutagen particles that would harm the player nevertheless, in other's community projects. :D

That being said, there will be a large area where the player will have to wade through orange and purple "coolants" that can harm the player :P.
Noxious sewery gases? Yeaaaaah.

Old Post 08-14-09 11:59 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
IRod54

Sounds like you used a lot of info from DV2 Map 19 'Stargate" for this one! Good work!

Old Post 08-26-09 03:25 #
IRod54 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
lupinx-Kassman

Another bite-sized amount of shots. Sorry about that.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/KassShot1.png

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/KassShot2.png

Just a portion of the 'orange coolant' area. I know it needs some polish, particularly the second shot, but I thought I might as well show the part I have been working on lately anyway. Also I can tell that I am most likely not going to have the map completely finished before the deadline, so I probably masterfully made an ass of myself. Go figure :(.

Old Post 12-29-09 11:18 #
Patrick
someone employed to clean and maintain a building

I'm not as impressed with those last 2 shots as I am the rest, I don't think I like that particular flavor of railing? Perhaps the red/blue color scheme doesn't sit well with me. Either way, I find something slightly off about those screenshots.

Old Post 12-29-09 14:52 #
Patrick is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

This is shaping up to be a great map. And don't stress out about the deadline, I really don't think anyone is going to make it!

Old Post 12-29-09 17:28 #
lupinx-Kassman

This map is about complete, and it has been sent to the testers...well the first half of the whole anyway, since this once gargantuan map is split into two. Here is a quick update:

This map was becoming way too large, so big that I was beginning to worry it would feel like it dragged on unnecessarily to the player. Also, the first mostly outdoor half of the map's theme had a very heavy contrast to the second half of the map's darker more corrupt theme. With both of these things in mind I decided that it would probably be a wise idea to split the map at the point that the themes changed, so I gave the first map a nice sense of closure, and accommodated the second map to be possible from a pistol start. However, I still made it obvious by the endings and beginnings of the maps that they are supposed to have a sense of continuity ;).

tl;dr: The map is split into two now. I will sometime soon make an entry about a second map temp-named "The Shaman's Device", while this one goes on to be "Interstellar Sickness". Hopefully I can finish it before all slots are taken :P.

EDIT: It is has been submitted.

Last edited by lupinx-Kassman on 05-29-10 at 07:40

Old Post 05-13-10 09:53 #
justanotherfool

I finally got around to having a look at this earlier today, and it looks like this is another great map in a project that seems to be full of them.

Very reminiscent of Vrack in places, as some other posters mentioned, but that's hardly a bad thing, and the map becomes more unique as it progresses.

There really didn't seem to be much about the map to critique from an aesthetic standpoint. I didn't see any glaring misalignments or texture clashes, and the map looks great. I did have reservations about the area with the cybie (the boxes of rockets and such looked funny floating in space) at first, but upon further reflection I decided I liked it. There were a few unusual visual flourishes which I don't remember having seen in any other map (the waves, some of the teleporters, etc) which were particularly impressive. The only minor gripes I could come up with were relating to texture choices in a few areas. I'll probably elaborate upon those in another post, but I don't have screenshots at hand.

There are some points relating to gameplay to be made, however. You might have already addressed some of them, but I'm sure you won't mind hearing them again :P.

- There are a few points in the map where there are enemies standing on top of platforms and sniping at you. I'm thinking mainly of the bits near the end with the four revenants and an area with two barons just beyond that. I think you should make the edges of those sectors impassible, since as it stands the monsters can get trapped on the edges or fall off the sides. Some of the revenants got stuck after being hit with one rocket, which made that fight easier than it should have been. Even worse than that, both barons fell off their platforms and into space (!) when I was trying to kill them with rockets. I was actually able to kill one with splash damage by shooting at it from the garden area, but I couldn't reach the other one from any part of the map (in prboom-plus, no mouselook) so I couldn't get 100% kills.

- Gameplay itself is fine, but I feel that the map is too easy on UV. This is map 19 but I was rarely challenged. There were lots of points where I was sure some kind of trap was about to be sprung, but most of the time nothing happened. Even when there were traps, they were quite weak (1 revenant only at the yellow key, a bunch of weak imps at the part where you get the plasma gun, etc). The monster count was quite high at about 320 (if I remember correctly), but most of them were troopers, sergeants, imps and demons. I thought the fight with the two masterminds should have been tougher. It was easy with the megasphere you're given. My suggestion is to add a few more heavyweight monsters, beef up the monster count slightly, and add some extra traps. Try not to overdo it, though :)
I think there might be too many rockets and not quite enough shells as well.

- You have 3 sectors marked as 'secret' in the area with the chainsaw, but the last sector seems superfluous and shouldn't be tagged. I liked the secrets, by the way. A few of them elicited some laughter from me.

- Something is wrong with the park area in boom, check it out and you'll see what I mean. Afraid I don't know the precise terminology. Something to do with visplanes or segs?

EDIT: Alright, I now have the screenshots I said I was going to post earlier. Uploading them is a pain since imageshack seems to only want to let me upload one at a time :/

http://yfrog.com/bgdoom135p
I feel the window is a little too thick here, and more importantly there are some cacodemons that will snipe at you from outside but I'm not sure their projectiles can reach you.

http://yfrog.com/jwdoom137p
This is a window near the partial invis. secret. I think the little protruding bit of yellow there looks weird.

http://yfrog.com/2ddoom139p
I personally don't like this texture (too much of it!) but YMMV.

http://yfrog.com/mqdoom144p
I really think the sloping metal linedefs leading into the switch are out of place here, both because of the textures and the slopes. Obviously this applies to both of the switches in this area.

http://yfrog.com/htdoom145p
Don't like this green texture at all. It isn't really the sort of thing I'd expect to see in this part of the map. I don't have a problem with the red area on the other side, though.

http://yfrog.com/c9doom146p
This illustrates the graphical glitch I mentioned before, and it also allows me to point out that there's far too much (BRIGHT) yellow on the side of that station in my view. I think it might look better if you softened some of the sharp edges in this screenshot and throughout the map as well, although I appreciate that that's a lot of work for a relatively small improvement.

http://yfrog.com/jpdoom152p
This secret was quite cute :P
But I didn't like your texturing here. Really seemed to look out of place when contrasted with the area before the secret, and I don't like to see computer textures just placed on a flat wall without at least some sort of recess.

One more gameplay point as well. The invuln sphere seems quite unnecessary. I generally don't like to see them unless they're really needed. It occurs to me however that you may have placed it to allow speedrunners to handle some other parts of the map quicker (cyb fight, for example). If that's so, it's fine as it is. I also might prefer it if the archviles in that area were triggered by actually hitting the switch instead of moving close to it.

Apart from that, nothing... :P Nice work.

Last edited by justanotherfool on 07-07-10 at 16:12

Old Post 07-07-10 01:48 #
justanotherfool is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
tehdrunkdemon
Mini-Member

dutch devil said:
I think I am gonna love that map :p

It does look pretty cool. :)

Old Post 07-08-10 00:35 #
tehdrunkdemon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
lupinx-Kassman

Old Post 07-08-10 20:32 #
pcorf

Its a really good looking map. You've come a long way in your map making skills. Very impressed.

Old Post 08-02-10 07:20 #
pcorf is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Katamori
Forum Staple

It's a quite nice map. A bit reminds me other similar levels like some of the levels in Scythe X, or the Stargate level of Deus Vult II.

IMO it might be as good as the other MAP20 idea, "Shaman's Device"

Old Post 03-29-11 19:03 #
Katamori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
C30N9

Another high detailed and beautiful map by lupinx-Kassman. How much did you spend in mapping? I wonder how was your first map.

Old Post 03-29-11 19:30 #
C30N9 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote