Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > How's CC4?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:57. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Use3D
Forum Legend

It's November and since CC4 is supposed to be ready at the end of the year, I'm posting this thread to see if members are open to discussing a possible extension.

Progress on more than half the project has been waning the last few months and since I'm still confident we have a good team I'd rather see a minor extension rather than putting the whole project on hold. Admittedly CC4 may have been started prematurely, and while the initial interest was strong I believe most of it was running on fumes from the recently released cc3. So I feel bad timing and a rather sudden a firm deadline made things more confined. All former CC projects had at least a year to get the maps ready.

I'm open to continue as we are if CC4 team is confident they can hit the deadline, or extending it to another 6 months and seeing where we are at that point. Please post thoughts.

Old Post 11-08-08 05:25 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

It looks inevitable that it'll have to be extended. I'm just not sure whether it's better to plan for a specific later release date or say "It's done when it's done."

Old Post 11-08-08 05:40 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

For the record, the deadline in question is actually the deadline for the wad to be compilation-ready.

Anyway, an extension should be done, but I'm not sure how at the moment.

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Old Post 11-08-08 05:49 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Macro11_1

I find I map really slowly, even with the best intentions in mind.

But then I probably dont count for much. :D

Old Post 11-08-08 09:56 #
Macro11_1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dr. Zin

I'd say a six month extension sounds good. I know I will have trouble finishing my map by the end of December (trying to get into Grad School takes lots of work). If there isn't enough progress by June or whenever then we could consider another extension at that point.

I do want to say that we should continue in the CC3 mold and not use filler maps, even if it means some mappers will double and triple slot. The quality is worth the extra time.

Old Post 11-08-08 17:09 #
Dr. Zin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Well, I've been busy at points, but have been working on my map when I've had the time - in fact, with a few more hours free time I'll have it done, and that's easily acheivable before this month is out... so I won't need an extension on the time myself, but I imagine others may, so perhaps a month or so extra on top? (no need to go overkill and give it another year or whatever, afterall)

Old Post 11-08-08 17:16 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Searcher

There is no way I can make a year end dead line. I think an extension should well be considered.

Old Post 11-09-08 14:41 #
Searcher is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Butts

probably an extension is needed.

Old Post 11-10-08 00:55 #
Butts is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Creaphis said:
I'm just not sure whether it's better to plan for a specific later release date or say "It's done when it's done."

This to me means essentially putting everything on hold, with a time frame it still encourages people to work on their maps without worry of rushing or having to drop out. After compilation of all maps then it can go to 'when it's done' status ;)

Also seeing how this thread turned out cc4 is definitely in a low-active state. If we decide to extend, either Green Herring or I will continue doing monthly, status check threads and people should keep their map threads going with whatever info.

Old Post 11-10-08 01:45 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Macro11_1

Work Work Work, School School School, Sleep. Map. IN that order. :(

Old Post 11-10-08 09:59 #
Macro11_1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

I'm also a rather slow mapper. i don't know if I'll need an extension or not, I'll just go with the majority vote.

Old Post 11-12-08 06:39 #
Shadow Dweller is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Torn
google is your master

I got my internet back, so time for mapping to do map28. :D

Old Post 11-16-08 15:02 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Christoph

I'm certainly not opposed to an extension if it's truly necessary, but I do wish things could move along faster (especially for myself since I'm way too slow). I want quality to be paramount though - as long as it doesn't take more than 2 years, I am willing to wait for something that'll be worth it. Also I like to be able to put as much thought/detail into each map so that it'll be truly excellent when released.

I am still moving very slowly on my map, and I would like to be done by the current deadline, but I do have doubts. I say we should keep the deadline as is, just to keep people motivated, and if we need to extend it (which may very well be the case) then by all means, let them have the time they need to finish it properly.

As for a specific deadline, I would say either one or two month increments as necessary, or "it's done when it's done" - either way I'm not too uptight about it as long as it keeps moving and the end product is well worth it.

*Edit: BTW I also have an idea for another map which I'm intent on making after I finish my current (cc4) map, and if I can get it into cc4 then I'll try to, otherwise maybe the next cc4, or whatever. Very tentative, but I'm just throwing that out there in case there are extra mapslots (say anywhere between map03-20) needing to be filled and if I have time to get it done after or during this map.

Last edited by Christoph on 11-16-08 at 17:53

Old Post 11-16-08 17:48 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

I think that an extension would be a good thing. I have been in all the community chest projects. Even leading CC 3. (along with The Green Herring and Use3D). And in each extensions have always come to pass. Why should this project be any different? CC 3 on the other hand was the first if I recall correctly, that didn't have a single filler map. That choice I made earily on, and to this day I still think it was the right choice to make. Sure it may have made the project take alot longer to be released, but well worth it. As I have always believed: "Good things come to those who wait"

Old Post 11-16-08 20:09 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Macro11_1

This all sounds good, but how about changing the deadline to a map update where we all send in our maps so we can have some sort of compiled beta? That's like a status check except for you actually have to send something in to be compiled.

Its just an idea :P

Old Post 11-25-08 23:27 #
Christoph

I like that idea...

Old Post 11-26-08 22:16 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote