Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4-Map31: Neodymium

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:12. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TheMionicDonut

NOTE: Ive given this some time with an open map but nobody seems to have gone for it. If somebody else would rather have this spot and TGH agrees with it all i have no problems stepping aside

That being said...

A while back Mechadon made some lovely maps for a SkullTag coop wad. Unfortunately the wad fell through and these maps could have been lost to the ages. Mechadon in his kindness handed off a few of his completed maps to yours truly about a month ago so they can be made Boom Compatable for CChest. I decided to have a go at it and the results seem to make for a boom map unlike most others ive seen. Right about that time the secret map slot opened up. If thats not a sign, I dont know what is.

here are the Current stats (01/31/09)

Completion:
Layout: 95% (Just needs a secret exit added)
Item Placement: 96%
Boom Compatability: 40% (Have to change most textures and some items)

Vertices: 9608
Linedefs: 12662
Sidedefs: 21872
Sectors: 1254
Things: 2378

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4811/doom0100wg5.png
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9869/doom0101xy3.th.png

Last edited by TheMionicDonut on 01-31-09 at 06:17

Old Post 11-18-08 03:26 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Neat! If any of the textures that need to be replaced don't have a close alternative in CC4-tex that they could be changed to without causing any problems with appearance or alignment, remember that you can include new textures with the map :)

Old Post 11-18-08 04:39 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

yeah i considered that but alot of the textures consist of using wall textures on the floor and vice versa.

Old Post 11-18-08 04:44 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium

So make 64x64 flat versions of them, or get somebody to do it for you. Depending on which textures they are, some of them might just be able to get cropped.

Old Post 11-18-08 04:52 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

Got any names you can recommend?

Old Post 11-18-08 05:04 #
Butts

heh, didnt see this. looks interesting.

Old Post 11-24-08 19:52 #
Butts is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

Okay, for the past two months ive been doing texturing stuffage and trying to figure out how I can make this a special secret map. I went through a few other map 31's and discovered the answer was right before me. I find it unique yet inspired by the secret level of CChest3. That is to say, the way to reach the super secret map will be plainly stated, but you are going to have to be one bad dude if you want to see map32. The method will still have a unique approach to it. But for that, you will have to wait for the wads release.

==============================================================

Also, reverted back to the name Mechadon gave it, for one of the following three reasons

A.) Guilty Conscience
2.) I figured Neodymium had a nicer ring

or C.) Turns out Mek made a sequal to the map bearing its name, and now I pretty much have to use the original one.

I will let all of you be the judge :)

Old Post 01-31-09 06:23 #
Mechadon

No one like's my map name? ;_;

Heh, well I like it :P. Also I was just about to inquire the status on this map (actually I didn't even know which map you decided to use till now). I'm really happy you were able to salvage something from that set I sent you. I felt kind of bad when I had to drop from making a from-scratch map for this.

Of course your more than welcome to change the map name if you really want to...it's in your hands now. I can't wait to see more progress :D

Old Post 02-10-09 23:07 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

Mechadon said:
No one like's my map name? ;_;

Heh, well I like it :P. Also I was just about to inquire the status on this map (actually I didn't even know which map you decided to use till now). I'm really happy you were able to salvage something from that set I sent you. I felt kind of bad when I had to drop from making a from-scratch map for this.

Of course your more than welcome to change the map name if you really want to...it's in your hands now. I can't wait to see more progress :D

To be honest I really liked the name, but I was using so many metal textures i made a joke of that with a colleague of mine. But now that there is A Neodymium 2, I can use the original a little more loosesly in order to avoid there being a 2 without being a 1, (See Virgils Leading CTF)

Old Post 02-10-09 23:16 #
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Just search the periodic table for another metal name you like ;)

Old Post 02-11-09 00:07 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

My alternate name for this map Was Ferrous Fury... If thats a periodic enough joke.

Also: http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/3203/doom0177ki5.png

Old Post 02-11-09 00:53 #
esselfortium

I can't tell, is that an extremely bright area around the edges with extremely dark SLADWALL-based trim on top, or is the gamma just way up or something? Either way, it looks like there's way too much contrast between light and dark there. o_O

Old Post 02-11-09 01:09 #
Mechadon

The Ultimate DooMer said:
Just search the periodic table for another metal name you like ;)

Maybe Didymium? Or Praseodymium? Though I don't think it rolls of the tongue with the same effect as Neodymium. Heh, I got nothin'.

Old Post 02-11-09 01:39 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Christoph

I fail to see the periodic table "joke" - I never knew the word "ferrous" to mean anything other than metal (iron). Unless it was supposed to have been interpreted as "feral"?.. Whatever the name is (which I'm not too picky about either way), the map looks truly spectacular! And by that I'm not just saying that to sound nice or compliment some objectively good mapping - I really (personally) like the textures (or use thereof) in those screenshots. From the looks of it, this might even be my favorite map of them all (judging by screenshots so far).

Old Post 06-19-09 13:16 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

Thank you, hopefully I can get the resot of the map looking like that...

Old Post 06-19-09 20:23 #