Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 MAP12 - Last Night

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:33. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DrKelexo
Warming Up

I decided to drop my previous idea because it doesn't fit the wad. My original one would've had to have been a really expansive, puzzle-based map, or else I would have just wasted a good idea. Plus, it wouldn't really fit with 'Map 12', seeing as how thats closer to the point where the wad becomes more difficult.

However, my current plan is a mixture of a Mining/Snow theme, with some possible tech buildings here and there. I originally wanted my map to have some ruined buildings in it, and a broken down building covered in snow will probably look really cool. Regardless...

I will be posting screenshots here. I usually use Skulltag, but before my map is finished I WILL test it through Boom or any working port of Boom (since right now I'm having a hard time making it work :D)

January 7th
http://kelexo.thedailypos.org/image/doom/lastnight_1_2.png
http://kelexo.thedailypos.org/image/doom/lastnight_1_1.png

Just some basic ideas. I usually worry about details later, so my screens may look a big lacking at times. The first screen is just some tunnel-age that you start out in, which eventually leads outside into a snowy area, which I have yet to work on. So far I have a bit of mine-tunnel, which isn't all that long, but I would hate to overdo it. The second screenshot is the 'spawn room', which gives a nice hole in the roof to kinda of show off the level you're in.

Some later ideas are to add lighting to the mines, as well as lay down some minecart tracks and whatnot. Again, this is after a day of work, so detail is lacking, but I'm working I assure you.

Last edited by DrKelexo on 01-08-09 at 01:49

Old Post 01-08-09 01:28 #
DrKelexo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dreadopp

Looks pretty good so far. I like the second shot, but the textures there could use some alignment.

Old Post 01-08-09 02:02 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mechadon

Looks like your off to a pretty good start. I agree with Dreadopp, the rock texture in the second screenshot could use some aligning ;)

Old Post 01-08-09 02:36 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Christoph

I love the theme! I guess you could say I "dig" underground maps! **

Old Post 01-08-09 14:50 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DrKelexo
Warming Up

Just posting some progress I've made, since I want to keep up to date. Do keep in mind I'm saving stuff like 'texture alignment' and any tiny tiny details until later; right now I'm just getting some main areas and some easy/cool details out there.

http://kelexo.thedailypos.org/image/doom/lastnight_2_3.png
http://kelexo.thedailypos.org/image/doom/lastnight_2_1.png

The 'big open' area. After grabbing the red key, an epic battle will take place. Horray!

http://kelexo.thedailypos.org/image/doom/lastnight_2_2.png

The same place as my first screenshot, but with a lot more detail.

Currently, I'd say I'm like...what...15% done? I haven't been working on items/monsters at ALL, level design comes first.

Old Post 01-09-09 10:20 #
DrKelexo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tango

I'm diggin it. Looks great dude!

Old Post 01-09-09 22:18 #
Tango is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DrKelexo
Warming Up

I'm going to stop posting so many screenshots :p but here's a couple more from todays progress

http://kelexo.thedailypos.org/image/doom/lastnight_3_1.png
http://kelexo.thedailypos.org/image/doom/lastnight_3_2.png

Old Post 01-10-09 04:38 #
Lord_Z

Looks wonderful, I really like ice themed maps for some reason.

Old Post 01-10-09 13:05 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DrKelexo
Warming Up

http://kelexo.thedailypos.org/image/doom/lastnight_4_1.png

Alright alright alright, last image for a while. This is what I just started on in the final area (or possibly next-to-final, depending on if i want to add a little darkmarble+bloodflow temple in the back)

It's a wide area that appears to be the remains of a cozy little town. :) It's going to be full of roof-less walls and such so it won't be very 'open' but it is a large area, so a good bit of battling will take place here.

Old Post 01-11-09 02:51 #
Butts

not bad. i like it.

Old Post 01-18-09 20:51 #
Butts is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

So, a building has crumbled to rubble, yet an original window pane remains? Interesting.

Old Post 01-18-09 21:32 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
justanotherfool

Looks good, but some of the edges in the last screenshot are a bit too sharp, and the flat on top of the hedges doesn't really look like snow.

Old Post 01-18-09 21:59 #
justanotherfool is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheeXile
Haha owned

Hey, since I'm making Map13, would you be okay with sending me a sample wad containing the exit area of your map? If that won't be a problem, that is (like, if the exit isn't part of some huge field or just a simple teleporter or something like that...).

The idea being that way I could make a sort of "continuity" between your map and mine. Purely optional, of course.

Last edited by TheeXile on 03-03-09 at 04:25

Old Post 03-03-09 02:37 #
TheeXile is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DEA7H
Mini-Member

justanotherfool said:
Looks good, but some of the edges in the last screenshot are a bit too sharp, and the flat on top of the hedges doesn't really look like snow.

Agreed. But it still looks good.

Old Post 03-04-09 17:25 #
DEA7H is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

has anybody seen this guy lately?

Old Post 03-05-09 05:26 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DrKelexo
Warming Up

I'm around, just hadn't had the time I'd like to work on the map.

I promise to make a decent update within this month.

Old Post 03-05-09 08:38 #
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Reminds me of /idgames Hexen maps.

Old Post 03-05-09 10:25 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

DrKelexo said:
I'm around, just hadn't had the time I'd like to work on the map.

I promise to make a decent update within this month.

Okay good to hear, you hadnt made any posts in two months, that was all.

Old Post 03-06-09 04:04 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DrKelexo
Warming Up

Great. I bailed on you guys...

I've found inspiration to continue. Hopefully I can get some new screens to you guys soon.

Sorry for my tardiness.

Old Post 06-08-09 03:11 #
Christoph

That last screen looks like it's setting you up for an epic snowball fight! Or better yet, a race to build the biggest snow-demon! =O

Old Post 06-12-09 13:32 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DrKelexo
Warming Up

Screenshots don't really do it justice but I basically frankenstein'd my stage to hell. I realized it was too long and spent too much time in enclosed spaces, so I erased some areas, flip other areas and then pasted them in other places. It's looking a lot better now, and I feel a lot better about completing it.

Old Post 06-14-09 05:52 #