Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 - Map 13 - Dark Vile

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:53. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TheeXile
Haha owned

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1518/teaser.png

"The closer you get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes."

Welcome to Dark Vile! This a unique and abstract map built around one central theme: Darkness. You must brave the void to find your way to the light. But beware! A malicious force curses and envies your every step closer to it. You are not alone! If you're not careful you just may lose your way. Or yourself!

I've taken a number of inspirations for this map. The main one is from the old Wheel of Time TC's second level (which you'll see unmistakable influences of later in the map). Other inspirations include Cyb's Void, American McGee's Alice, Huy's Deus Vult series, and some bits and pieces from other sources (bonus points to whoever pinpoints them ;) ). This is a fairly experimental map concept, but I think you'll enjoy it.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5104/sigil.png

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/447/silverpool.png

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7940/torchcircle.png

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4194/torchcircle2.png

More to come!

Last edited by TheeXile on 06-12-09 at 16:15

Old Post 06-12-09 07:52 #
TheeXile is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dreadopp

That last shot sure has a lot of fireballs. :P

Old Post 06-12-09 21:52 #
Dreadopp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon

Looks pretty interesting. I'll be looking forward to how it plays :)

Old Post 06-12-09 22:39 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheeXile
Haha owned

Dreadopp said:
That last shot sure has a lot of fireballs. :P

Yeah I did that mostly for dramatic effect. :P First time I saw it in-game I was like O.O

They're actually not too difficult to avoid during that particular part, though. And they do add some tactical variety to the battle.

Old Post 06-13-09 00:53 #
TheeXile is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheMionicDonut

Id be willing to trade you a secret map slot for that.

Interested?

(Yeah id finish the map)

Old Post 06-13-09 02:40 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheeXile
Haha owned

TheMionicDonut said:
Id be willing to trade you a secret map slot for that.

Interested?

(Yeah id finish the map)

Which sky texture do the secret maps use? I forget offhand.

Old Post 06-13-09 02:41 #
TheMionicDonut

The same as 21-30

Old Post 06-13-09 02:44 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheeXile
Haha owned

TheMionicDonut said:
The same as 21-30
And that's that red, hellish one, right?

Hmm. I'll have to think about it for a while. I was planning to use the 11-20 starry sky for some effects in my map.

Old Post 06-13-09 02:46 #
TheMionicDonut

okay, the offer is open

Old Post 06-13-09 02:52 #
TheeXile
Haha owned

TheMionicDonut said:
okay, the offer is open

Okay thanks. Just give me a while to play around with some of my ideas to see if I can accommodate the change, first.

Last edited by TheeXile on 06-13-09 at 03:20

Old Post 06-13-09 02:57 #
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

Oh god, please don't make this as horrific or seizure-inducing as NDCP2: Darkseed. x_X

Old Post 06-13-09 23:27 #
Jimmy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheeXile
Haha owned

Jimmy91 said:
Oh god, please don't make this as horrific or seizure-inducing as NDCP2: Darkseed. x_X
Don't worry about any of that.

Last edited by TheeXile on 06-14-09 at 18:16

Old Post 06-14-09 02:50 #
Alice Jameson
Mini-Member

Finshed playtesting what you have so far. I think it is very very interesting. I especially like the effect with the torches. So far I think it is pretty good. But yeah if you finish more and need more playtesting just send it to me. I might look at the level more closely soon for anything small, but seeing as it is in fairly early stages so I don't think that's that big of an issue yet. Also there was one thing I noticed 100% kills is not possible, because of the archvile's. Personally I don't really mind about this but I think there might be some people who would like to be able to kill everything for whatever reason. I dunno maybe this will change as the map becomes more complete. But yeah, that's all I think I have to say as of yet. But yeah I am liking the map so far.

Old Post 06-15-09 17:30 #
Alice Jameson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheeXile
Haha owned

Actually the Archviles in the un-activated Archvile cages are crushed and killed after selecting 3 of the 5 cages, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm still working on a good way to mop up the Spectre horde for the 100%, though.

I had in mind a use for giving the player the choice of which of the Archviles are awoken (the ones that get teleported, that is), but I'm not sure of way to make that effect clear to the player. I guess I'll just leave it according to my original plan since it really shouldn't hurt anything (if I balance it right, at least).

Fortunately, I have a better idea in store for later uses of Archvile cages. This 'choice' sub-theme is going to get much more sadistic towards the end. :P

Last edited by TheeXile on 06-15-09 at 18:51

Old Post 06-15-09 17:57 #
Alice Jameson
Mini-Member

They're crushed? Weird when I played they were teleported to some enclosed room somewhere.

Old Post 06-15-09 18:44 #
Alice Jameson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheeXile
Haha owned

Alice Jameson said:
They're crushed? Weird when I played they were teleported to some enclosed room somewhere.

Oh. The ones you activate are teleported for later use. The ones you don't are discarded (crushed).

Old Post 06-15-09 18:47 #
Alice Jameson
Mini-Member

Awwww okay. That's what I thought that room was for, future use. Which is why I didn't think of it as a big deal seeing as how I was only sent the first half of the map. But I thought it would be best to mention it anyways. But yeah I'm looking forward to the rest of the map. ^^

Old Post 06-15-09 18:50 #
TheeXile
Haha owned

Alice Jameson said:
Awwww okay. That's what I thought that room was for, future use. Which is why I didn't think of it as a big deal seeing as how I was only sent the first half of the map. But I thought it would be best to mention it anyways. But yeah I'm looking forward to the rest of the map. ^^

Yeah please mention anything you observe. The more feedback, the merrier!

I sometimes take too many things for granted when I add stuff like this to my maps. :P

Old Post 06-15-09 18:52 #
TheMionicDonut

This really sounds like it should be a secret map.

Old Post 06-16-09 04:51 #
Patrick
someone employed to clean and maintain a building

TheMionicDonut said:

Agreed.

Old Post 06-16-09 04:56 #
Patrick is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
lareman
Green Marine

TheMionicDonut said:

Why should all interesting maps be secret maps?

Old Post 06-16-09 09:17 #
lareman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gusta
Forum Regular

lareman said:

Agreed. (really hate the trend "somehow special looking map automaticaly has to go to secret map slot")

Old Post 06-16-09 09:42 #
Gusta is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

lareman said:

Because unremarkable secret maps suck? What's the point going there if it's just another tech base with mad chaingunners pointing their sixbarrels at you all the time?

EDIT: in before yaaa right stfu.

Old Post 06-16-09 10:36 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheeXile
Haha owned

I'll let TGH or whoever move it to the secret slot themselves, if they want.

I'm going to redo some of this to accommodate a new idea I want to try out...

Old Post 11-06-09 02:52 #