Demon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 - Map 2X - Crucifix Held Close

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:28. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
[WH]-Wilou84

Hi there,

"Crucifix Held Close" is a medium-sized level I'm working on for CC4. Theme is mostly hellish, with a mix of tan and red marble, along with caves and lava.

Here are a few screens of almost completed areas :

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2334/cc4chc02.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/714/cc4chc01.jpg
( Some cave's entrance )

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6835/cc4chc03.jpg

Progress so far is about 65%.
I really thought I could finish this map before July, but real life has been too demanding. I'll finish this map as soon as I can ( mid-September seems doable ).

A little problem I wanted to point out : I've just re-read the rules for CC4 and it seems I missed the line about sky transfers. My map uses them to allow for the much-needed red sky in slot 18.
If this is really a problem, I could replace the sky with some ugly blood textures and lots of light transfers. The other option is that I could swap slots with the person in charge of map20, for example, if that's ok with him/her.

More on this later.

--------------------------
-Progress : 65%
-Sectors : ~1800
-Segs : ~24k

Last edited by [WH]-Wilou84 on 07-05-10 at 23:10

Old Post 07-29-09 12:37 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Awesome.

Old Post 07-29-09 13:43 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

WOW! Nice! :D Looking forward to this one!

Old Post 07-29-09 19:23 #
Jimmy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Damn, nice work in those scenes. As it stands now you can't use sky transfer special in cc4. You'll have to trade slots to use the red sky.

Old Post 07-29-09 19:32 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lord_Z

Very impressive screen shots you've got there. I really like the first screen shot and the name you chose for the map ;)

Nice stuff!

Old Post 07-30-09 14:56 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Quality work here, I like it especially the first shot. Interesting use of textures, it really makes your map look unique.

Old Post 07-30-09 16:41 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
glaber

Any chance the track "Crucifix Held Close" from CastleVania would be used?

Old Post 07-31-09 03:33 #
glaber is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

glaber said:
Any chance the track "Crucifix Held Close" from CastleVania would be used?

There's quite a big chance, yeah :>

Use3D : Ok, well I guess we'll see that later, when most of the maps are done.
I might have to raise the difficulty of this level if needed, then.

Thanks for the kind words, guys !

Old Post 07-31-09 12:41 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
glaber

[WH]-Wilou84 said:

There's quite a big chance, yeah :>

That's one of my favorite tracks.

Old Post 08-01-09 06:16 #
glaber is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheMionicDonut

PROPTIP: switch with spot 27 when it opens up next month!

Old Post 08-03-09 05:43 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Nice! Looks like its got a great atmosphere!

Old Post 08-03-09 22:39 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

Bump,

Map is done. I'm currently spamming TGH and the beta-testers.

Had to fight against the segs limit, and unfortunately, I lost.
Thus, a few outdoor areas will seem a bit bland, maybe.

--------------------------
-Progress : 99%
-Sectors : ~2270
-Segs : 32 765

Old Post 09-08-09 21:51 #
justanotherfool

Haven't had a chance to go through looking for 100% kills and secrets yet, but I've played through the map a few times.

There was nothing that I really thought needed changing, although that huge clump of hell knights just after the red key door would have gone down better if they weren't confined to a small platform.

On the whole I was extremely impressed by the map. It's massive and action packed and epic. It'll make a great addition to the chest :P.

Hopefully I'll have some more feedback before too long.

Old Post 09-14-09 02:42 #
justanotherfool is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

Thanks a lot for playtesting it justanotherfool !

Maybe I can tune down this Hell Knight group you mention, but they're here for a reason ( they guard the boxes of rockets behind, which are very useful to get rid of the Pain Elemental swarm near the bridges ; they're also efficient "snipers" at this particular position ).
I came up with a strategy to quickly dispatch them : activate the switch after the two bridges, and then, while the PEs are coming, go back and clean the HK horde. Grab the rockets, and then slaugther the PEs which are now grouped on the little stairs and easier to kill.

There's even a secret near the HK horde which could be very useful to quickly kill them, if you can find it.

Anyway, thanks to you and Anima Zero's feedback, I'll be able to fix a few things and sent a more advanced version as soon as I'm asked to.
If you have other things to say, feel free to do so - thanks in advance !

Old Post 09-14-09 11:07 #
darkreaver

This map looks great!

Certainly inspires me to work on my hellish map, right now! Buuuut, Im at work :(

Old Post 11-20-09 00:28 #
darkreaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
justanotherfool

That reminds me, there are one or two places in this map where you can fall into an inescapable pit. The main one that comes to mind is just outside the secret area where you get the soulsphere (the one you reach by going through the stream of lava). There may be others.

Any chance of getting a version of the map that would work under prboom-plus?

Old Post 11-20-09 00:39 #
justanotherfool is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Solarn

With a name like "Crucifix Held Close", there better be tons of candles and firesticks on every wall. (This comment is not to be taken seriously.)

Old Post 11-20-09 07:54 #
Solarn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

justanotherfool said:
That reminds me, there are one or two places in this map where you can fall into an inescapable pit.

I've tried to correct those. The version which was sent to TGH should be free of any inescapable hole.

Old Post 11-20-09 10:49 #
tehdrunkdemon
Mini-Member

Nice shots!

Old Post 07-05-10 04:35 #
tehdrunkdemon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheMionicDonut

map 18 now?

Old Post 07-05-10 14:34 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

TheMionicDonut said:
map 18 now?

It was, when I signed up. Not anymore though. The topic's title is confusing indeed, I'll edit it :)

Old Post 07-05-10 23:05 #
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

It's worth noting that CC4 now allows maps to use the doubled segs limit, so you could potentially go back and refine the outdoor areas you mentioned having problems being able to finish under the old limit.

Old Post 07-05-10 23:25 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

esselfortium said:
It's worth noting that CC4 now allows maps to use the doubled segs limit, so you could potentially go back and refine the outdoor areas you mentioned having problems being able to finish under the old limit.

Yeah indeed, latest version I sent TGH is at almost 34k segs, managed to have better-looking rocky areas thanks to it.
It was a wise decision from TGH :>

Old Post 07-05-10 23:39 #
Hirogen2

I am starting to get really hooked on recording... just spent the entire night. Here is the full thing - no death - for cc4alpha's Crucifix Held Close. If you don't change or rebsp the map, this should work even in its final state. Contrary to previous discussion in PM, it should not need more armor - relying on secrets is ok: I just missed the wood for the trees earlier.
Under 5 minutes, as I had predicted earlier.
For category HMP Speed, the run.
Conclusion: a good map also features exploitable shortcuts, as shown :)

Old Post 05-04-11 03:21 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

Thanks for that demo, Hirogen :)
Glad you liked the map. I'll try not to modify it then, but we never know.

Hirogen2 said:
I am starting to get really hooked on recording...

Say goodbye to your spare time and sanity. :p

But yeah demo-recording is indeed quite entertaining.
Not to mention we'll probably need to record demos on CC4 maps in the later testing stages, so keep up the good work !

Old Post 05-04-11 23:02 #
Pottus
Forum Regular

I really like this level style looks really nice thumbs up!

Old Post 05-08-11 18:38 #
Pottus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

I must say that this looks very awesome indeed. That outdoor shot reminds me of Matthias Worch's "Fireworks". :)

Old Post 05-08-11 19:13 #
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
lupinx-Kassman

I've been keeping an eye on this one, so I am surprised I never said anything. I think this map is going to nail the hellish atmosphere, and I look forward to playing it.

Old Post 05-08-11 19:15 #
lupinx-Kassman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
C30N9

...Aw...es...om...e...
Sorry I was shocked of you screenshots.

Old Post 05-08-11 20:39 #
C30N9 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote