Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Some report

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:07. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Tested with Eternity 8?? SVN build.

From CC4Alpha:

MAP01: Graveyard Shift (TheMionicDonut)
Overall good map with exciting fights. However, the part beyond the last locked door bears no purpose for me. It's some ominous decoration but nothing comes out of it. And it stands out in the level.
Also the final part is very very bloody, and leaves little hope for the player.

MAP03: Three is a Charm (Phobus)
There's a massive HOM detected: http://i49.tinypic.com/10zwdux.jpg. The outside is too dark (as usual; and I note this: no real problem!), as if the sun is covered by a thick cloud, and I found the level too easy near the end where the matters count more.

MAP05: Inner Fear (Dutch Devil)
Nothing bad about this level. Your state of health depends on how you tackle the challenge at the start. I got killed by a hell knight after the archvile immobilized me in the air, so there I managed to go...

MAP08: Installation Decrepit (Alice Jameson)
This level starts out laid back, as if it belonged earlier in the megawad, but becomes harder as you progress. I also got killed here and I really didn't want to get killed. EDIT: replayed; well I was dead at the half of the level. Anyway, it does get its fair share of tense fights, which you might not be sure to survive, so it's not as laid back as it appears. Finally, the exit was unwarned, but it led right to Capellan's MAP09.

MAP17: Metastasize (Andy Leaver)
Pretty colors in here, and seemingly plenty of ammo. I think the usage of monsterblock was awkward because it made fights look weird, and also the usage of impassable made some ledges very fast to slide on.
Notable facts: I lost the game at a showdown with an archvile resurrecting all the masses of huge hell knights at me, in cramped hallways, when ammo was no more. Everytime I reopened the door to potshoot the archvile, I was met instead by chaingunners and hellknights. There was little tactics for me to try. Have others had trouble surviving this?
Also, I found it a bit unobvious where to go, the first time I had to backtrack. There was a teleporter in the corner of an elaborate room, but I had to stumble on something like it more or less.

MAP30 by Joshy: on trying it, I saw too much HOM everywhere I went. After having tried it on PrBoom (or was it -Plus) for Mac and crashing the machine.

Last edited by printz on 12-27-09 at 16:10

Old Post 12-27-09 15:52 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

It's almost as if the lift texture I used there (PLAT192 or whatever it's called?) is absent... how strange.

Otherwise no comment for the feedback on my map, but thank you for your time.

Old Post 12-28-09 14:19 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RjY
anARCHy

The thing with map30 is that the author added a few textures of his own and decided to rely on ZDoom's texture definition merging to load the textures from both cc4-tex and his own wad. Any other port only "sees" one set of texture definitions depending on the order you load the wads.

If you use Deutex (or equivalent) to merge the texture wad into the map first it will work.

It's not really a bug since the final wad will only have one conglomerate pair of texture definition lumps when Herring merges everything together. It's just a bit inconvenient for testing.

However in the end I think having to type "deutex -join cc4mapxx.wad cc4-tex.wad" before running the game was preferable to having to download a file containing a map and a dozen megabytes of textures that I already had :-)

Old Post 12-28-09 16:49 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

printz said:
MAP05: Inner Fear (Dutch Devil)
Nothing bad about this level. Your state of health depends on how you tackle the challenge at the start. I got killed by a hell knight after the archvile immobilized me in the air, so there I managed to go...

This happend near the exit right, you got stuck on those exit signs I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong though :)

Old Post 12-28-09 17:41 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Phobus said:
It's almost as if the lift texture I used there (PLAT192 or whatever it's called?) is absent... how strange.

Otherwise no comment for the feedback on my map, but thank you for your time.

Hmm. You may have used the 256-tall lift texture that was in the first version of the resource wad. It was removed from subsequent ones because ports that don't support DeePSea's tall patch format can't handle textures 256 units or taller. (T'was my mistake.)

Old Post 12-28-09 18:09 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

dutch devil said:

This happend near the exit right, you got stuck on those exit signs I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong though :)

No bug there, I was only saying where I got killed so I had to stop that testing session :)

Old Post 12-28-09 19:31 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Is it too hard? Maybe it is an bit too hard for such an early map.

Old Post 12-28-09 21:13 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

It's okay and it shouldn't be made easier. I was just careless.

I was rather complaining about Aleaver's part with the archvile easily screwing up the chances, unless of course I was missing an alternative or strategy.

Old Post 12-28-09 22:02 #
Phobus
Forum Staple

esselfortium said:

Hmm. You may have used the 256-tall lift texture that was in the first version of the resource wad. It was removed from subsequent ones because ports that don't support DeePSea's tall patch format can't handle textures 256 units or taller. (T'was my mistake.)

Looking at the size of the lift, I'd dare say you're right. I'll update the map to use a different platform texture for that lift, and then send it to TGH at the same time as my other map (which better be today or tomorrow... so I better get working).

Old Post 12-30-09 12:18 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

printz said:
It's okay and it shouldn't be made easier. I was just careless.

I was rather complaining about Aleaver's part with the archvile easily screwing up the chances, unless of course I was missing an alternative or strategy.

Hmm..When I and the other playtesters played through this map..it never was considered un-beatable..but its not a cake walk either..if there is an issuse here let me know..

On that note I am on a different computer, My old comp fail (power supply) and all my DooM stuff is on that one..But I don't think it would be too much trouble to get some DooM editing going on this comp if it is needed.

Old Post 01-06-10 05:44 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote