Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 - Map XX - Ochregerde

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:39. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
[WH]-Wilou84

Hi,

"Ochregerde" is the second level I made for Community Chest 4.
Behind this weird name lies a desolated place flooded with corrupted water and lit with surreal blue torches. Theme-wise, I tried to make something which looks a bit like a Plutonia level : bricks, marble, cages, stone pavements, and wood + metal for support. There's also a bit of exploration in gloomy caves.

Being designed for the first episode of CC4, the level is not really hard, quite like Plutonia 2 again I'd say, but still it holds a few surprises :>

A few not-so-clear screenshots of some of the outdoor areas :

http://membres.multimania.fr/wilou84/Images/Doom/CChest4/CC4_WH2_DWt_2.jpg

http://membres.multimania.fr/wilou84/Images/Doom/CChest4/CC4_WH2_DWt_1.jpg

http://membres.multimania.fr/wilou84/Images/Doom/CChest4/CC4_WH2_DWt_0.jpg

---
The map is complete. I'm preparing it for the testing team.
I hope they'll enjoy playing it :)

So yeah, that's about it.

Old Post 03-30-10 23:41 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Screenshots are looking great, though the lighting of the map seems a bit unnaturally dark for the sky.

Old Post 03-30-10 23:54 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
darkreaver

Looks great!

Old Post 03-30-10 23:55 #
darkreaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

esselfortium said:
Screenshots are looking great, though the lighting of the map seems a bit unnaturally dark for the sky.

You're right, and funnily enough some indoor parts are a bit brighter that that.
In a way, I tried to emulate Plutonia 2's first episode where it's quite dark outside even with a bright white sky. Should be fine, but I'll see what the testers think about it, it can still be fixed.

Map sent to testers as well as TGH and Use3D.

Old Post 03-31-10 00:29 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

Neat map! Looking forward to playing it - although you saved the screenshots as .jpegs. D:

Old Post 03-31-10 18:41 #
Jimmy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon

That looks very awesome to me! You can definitely see the Plutonia influences.

Old Post 03-31-10 20:02 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

Thanks guys :>
Yeah this should go along pretty well with Phobus' second map, which also had a Plutonia vibe if I recall properly.

Jimmy91 said:
Neat map! Looking forward to playing it - although you saved the screenshots as .jpegs. D:

Ah sorry, you can't see them at all ?
Anyway it's just a bunch of rocks and dark water under a white sky, nothing too exciting :p

Old Post 03-31-10 20:18 #
TheMionicDonut

Oh it plays very much like a plutonia map. It was most enjoyable. One problem that stuck out though was that there is an archvile (the one behind the red key) can fling you over decoration if you are trying to run away.

Another problem that I personally dont mind but will probably bother other people is the lack of ammo. There is a point when i had to fist an archvile. Granted i had a berserk pack but yeah...was actually one of the more fun parts in an all around fun map. Gonna do a non 2 AM runthrough again this weekend.

Old Post 03-31-10 22:19 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

@ TheMionicDonut : Thanks for your input !
I didn't think ammo could be a problem in this map, yet I've added extra stuff.
Impassible lines have also been added to prevent the player from being launched into the scenery ( but not near the red switch, as I want Lost Souls to be able to reach the
player ).
Damn those Arch-jumpers, I wish someone would kill them all. :p:p

I'll send an updated version to TGH by next Sunday and consider the map done unless other changes need to be made.

Old Post 04-05-10 10:43 #
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
Ah sorry, you can't see them at all ?

No, just that .jpegs lose a substantial amount of quality compared to .pngs when they're saved, so the shots aren't as clear as they could be.

Still very impressed by the general looks of it so far, though. Great-looking architecture. :)

Old Post 04-05-10 15:11 #
Jimmy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Christoph

Looks very cool! The lighting looks fine to me...

Old Post 04-07-10 11:13 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

Final version is ready to be sent, I'll wait for a few more days in case other playtesters want to voice their feelings.

Jimmy91, ages ago, said:
[...] the shots aren't as clear as they could be.

Yeah, you're right. I always take my screenies as .jpgs, it's done on purpose. It's like a good piece of lingerie : it shows just enough to tease, nothing more.
:p

I don't like when modern games are advertised with Photoshop'd screenies, you always end up disappointed somehow.

Old Post 04-29-10 23:26 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

I really like the look of this map.

Old Post 04-30-10 01:31 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
MajorRawne

From the screenies, which are very impressive btw, you might be able to get away with the slightly darker outdoor areas cos the sky looks overcast, which lends a sort of brooding darkness to everything below. It reminds me of the weather here in England during summer!

Old Post 05-01-10 16:48 #
MajorRawne is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Qaatar

Playtested with regards to gameplay and demo recording:

Amazing map! I love the PL style gameplay, and everything was very well balanced. The non-linearity definitely adds quite a few different route possibilities.

Two minor complaints/questions:

-What exactly is the point of the invulnerability secret? All I got was a single arch-vile spawn, which hardly screams the need for such a powerup. The red key switch that spawns the arch-vile and revenants can easily be dispatched provided that you obtained the rocket launcher first.

-Maybe instead of scattering small caches of four shotgun shells, perhaps you can maybe put shell boxes in areas with heavy mob activity? I'm just thinking of UV Max routes atm, and while ammo isn't scarce at all, I also don't really want to go out of my way to grab something like 8 extra shells.

Anyways, love the map, and no gameplay problems here. :)

Old Post 10-01-10 11:13 #
Qaatar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

Thanks for playing this thing. :)
Spoiler:
The Invulnerability secret is actually here to speed up the UV Max route. If you skip the Arch-Vile who spawns after the Red key fight, you can come back and easily kill him and his new buddy while being Invulnerable. Then it's up to you to find a creative use of the remaining Invuln. time. A good idea would be slaughtering what's behind the Yellow door.

As for ammo, I'll see what I can do :p
Thanks again.

Old Post 10-01-10 19:55 #