Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4- Technoprison (100% Finished)

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:27. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Joshy
Forum Regular

Hiya all,
Thought I'd post my progress and not have to worry about posting progress. It's a fairly simple map of a snowy floating prison base in space; trying out new themes for shits and giggles. It'll be fairly quick but I aim to make it challenging nevertheless. I suppose the question for now is essentially, where am I going to put a cyberdemon or two here? :-)

Yeah, it's very dark outside; it's nice like that :-). Inevitably, there'll be lighting variation; most of the lighting's inside anyway.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2041/tech2.png
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4821/tech1.png
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4232/tech3.png

Last edited by Joshy on 07-13-10 at 08:53

Old Post 04-15-10 14:10 #
Joshy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

A map by Joshy --> instant win.

Screenies look great !

Old Post 04-16-10 09:25 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Macro11_1

I like the openess of this map, it looks very nice... that and I like how you use a ton of 45 angles... it really adds to the flow :) that and it looks like there are alot of "levels" for your level :P

couple of things though,
over all
- it looks very cold and sterile... I think brown and orange could offset that like the rocks in shot 1&2 and the floor @ shot 3

I might be crazy for asking this but...
Are you trying to guide the player in the correct direction with this texture?

Shot 2
- the grass texture, is that a mistake? this is space.

I really like it so far though!

Old Post 04-23-10 03:10 #
Macro11_1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mechadon

Ooooo, Aaaaa...I like it! First two screenshots are my favorite :)

Old Post 04-23-10 03:11 #
Mechadon is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
stewboy

Need any music for this? :)

Old Post 04-23-10 08:30 #
stewboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Joshy
Forum Regular

Thanks for the comments. :-)

Macro11_1 said:
I might be crazy for asking this but...
Are you trying to guide the player in the correct direction with this texture?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. There's no explicit guiding what-so-ever within the map anyway ;-). I can see what you mean by the grass texture, I sorta see it as a break-away floating island within space with all the ice being formed due to sheer-freezing temperature of being in space :P. Sorta like a very mini-planet of a prison, heh.

@Stewboy: I've already got a MIDI for this map but I appreciate the offer :-).

Old Post 04-25-10 13:23 #
Joshy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Macro11_1

What I mean is, you make the main general direction you want the player to take a brighter colour, or wider... or something so it takes most of their attention.

For instance, the third shot, your floor is an orange while the rest of the screen is pretty much Grey

Like I said, call me crazy :P

Old Post 04-26-10 10:49 #
Macro11_1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Looks nice. :)

The brown metal window-gratings in the last shot seem out of place with the rest of the theme, though.

(And if you *can* make them work in the theme, which I'm sure is possible, I'd at least offset them 8 units to the side so that the bars on the sides aren't cut off halfway into the wall.)

Old Post 04-26-10 18:29 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Look very nice Joshy, perhaps some more detail in the outside areas. Love the snow theme btw.

Old Post 04-26-10 22:22 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

This is coming along well. The sky texture might be slightly overpowering but it is quite pretty. (I'm not knocking the texture, just making an observation.)

The map gives me the impression that it is quite open and non-linear? That might be good for a fast pace and some free-flowing action?

Old Post 05-01-10 16:52 #
MajorRawne is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Joshy
Forum Regular

Thanks for the comments as usual. :-)

I've done the layout, it was sure hard work but the rest of the work shouldn't be hard. Just more details here and there and experimenting/polishing the gameplay. At the moment, it has the frentic gameplay you usually see in SoD, it's working alright I think. I'd say the difficulty is relatively hard, it would suit the Map20 slot. The ending has some kind of hell transportation too so thematically it would suit quite well too.

Percentage wise I'd say 90% now.

@Macro11_1: "Cold and sterile" That's the kind of feel I was going for. It is a 'prison' after all, not strictly speaking though :P. I've done some work on the interiors with more variety in colouring and lightings.

@Essel: I've changed that texture into those horizontal 'clean' bars, it suits the theme better and there is no need to worry for alignments :P.

@Dutch: Details outside have been improved a bit but not sure what else I could do apart from thing decorations, I'll post updated screenies soon.

@MajorRawne: You observe quite well. :-) The map is relatively open and the layout is relatively non-linear. Not extreme though since it's quite a short'n'sweet petite map, well pretty much less than 10 minutes I'd say.

Old Post 05-03-10 16:59 #
Joshy
Forum Regular

Okay I've done the map. Difficulty settings aren't implemented yet as I don't have the time to do so. Uni work is piling up and I'm doing another course the same time so there is virtually no time for me to work on the maps for the time being, perhaps even for the next 2 months.

If I'm not back to fix up whatever bugs and feedback, and the difficulty settings when the project is about done, TGH's got my permission to fix them or allocate the fixing to someone.

Sent to testers (gee we've got a lot) and The Green Herring via PM.

Updated screenies :D

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2504/screenshotdoom201005050.png
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2504/screenshotdoom201005050.png
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2504/screenshotdoom201005050.png
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2504/screenshotdoom201005050.png

Last edited by Joshy on 05-04-10 at 16:28

Old Post 05-04-10 16:01 #
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

What's up with those sky floors? ...Those look really weird. o_O

Looks really cool nonetheless. :)

Old Post 05-04-10 21:41 #
Jimmy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Joshy
Forum Regular

Jimmy91 said:
What's up with those sky floors? ...Those look really weird. o_O

Looks really cool nonetheless. :)

Heh I just imagine it as a floating island and the holes are formed due to melting ice for reasons unknown :-). Bad maintenance I guess? :P

EDIT: I realise there's a texture misalignment in one of the screenshots, what you get for trying to finish the map in a rush late at night before bed.

Last edited by Joshy on 05-05-10 at 01:26

Old Post 05-05-10 01:12 #
Use3D
Forum Legend

Thanks for working on this, it looks great. It actually makes me hate that sky much less.

Old Post 05-05-10 04:02 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mechadon

The skylight floors do look kinda odd. I guess it's because it makes the ground surrounding it look really thin and it would be odd that such big buildings and structures could sit on such thin ground. Or it could just be the angle at which the screenshot was taken. Maybe make the edges a little thicker...like 32mp or something? Then again, it certainly doesn't have to make sense :P

Old Post 05-05-10 04:27 #
Mechadon is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
justanotherfool

Had a quick look through this one. It's so polished that not a lot needs to be said, I pretty much adore it the way it is.

100% kills and 100% secrets obtainable, always a good sign :P

Gameplay was frenetic and the player was really encouraged to run around a bit instead of killing everything as it appears. There are a few very sneaky traps, and the level seems a lot bigger (and a bit more populated) than it actually is. Looks very well suited for speedrunning.

A few minor nitpicks, however.

I personally thought that the skyfloor bits in the opening area looked weird. I get that you're supposed to have the impression of floating in a void, but I think other parts of the map (where you can see outside the base) do a good enough job of establishing that already. I'd prefer some standard water textures or something there instead. The problem with the skyfloor is that it emphasises the flatness of the texture, which isn't so glaring when used on the ceiling but creates a weird effect here.

I might appreciate a teleporter in the room where you get the rocket launcher taking you back to somewhere around the complex with the plasma gun. As it is, getting back there from the RL area can be tough if you've released the monsters, since they tend to block the corridor. Especially some of the bigger monsters. Just a suggestion though.

The cell pack secret struck me as a bit obscure. I would never have thought of looking there if I hadn't checked it out in doom builder. Maybe provide some more clues to its existence?

There's a corridor (the end of it is shown in your last screenshot where the floor is entirely textured with that orange-and-black striped flat. I thought it looked out of place used so copiously. It may look better if you texture most of the corridor with some other flat and just use the stripy one at the ends of the corridor.

A few points to be made about the lava pool in front of the red key. The platforms there look out of place with their red texture, since all the other rocks in that area are brownish. I also get bored waiting for them to rise and fall so I can get across, and would prefer to have them set up so I can immediately run across and back after having hit the switch without worrying about the platforms moving. Stairs on the side you start from might be nice as well, since if you fall you'll probably get killed by the revs while waiting for the platform.

Finally, the area shown in this screenshot (http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7011/doom131.png)
would look better if you changed the texture below the window to match the rest of the wall textures (maybe you just forgot it).

Apart from those few minor points, the map is awesome.

Old Post 06-20-10 22:25 #
justanotherfool is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Joshy
Forum Regular

Thanks for the helpful comments. :-)

A little side track, after reading your post in the status update, I wish you for the best for your battle against depression, it's a real bitch. Pretty much the same thing happened to me last year where I just collapsed after 7 weeks of uni and had to withdraw, the previous three years were hell, a combination of burnout and isolation. Took me a year to deal with it and get my head on straight; I managed to finish my first semester of university just last week.

Old Post 06-23-10 15:48 #
justanotherfool

Joshy said:
Thanks for the helpful comments. :-)

A little side track, after reading your post in the status update, I wish you for the best for your battle against depression, it's a real bitch. Pretty much the same thing happened to me last year where I just collapsed after 7 weeks of uni and had to withdraw, the previous three years were hell, a combination of burnout and isolation. Took me a year to deal with it and get my head on straight; I managed to finish my first semester of university just last week.

Thanks for the well-wishes, Joshy, much appreciated. I'm glad that you were able to overcome your own depression, and congratulations on finishing your first semester :)

I feel so lethargic at the moment, don't know what happened to me. I used to be a good (and enthusiastic) student, too, before this hit me. I'm hoping I'll be able to resume my studies next academic year (2 or 3 months away), but it doesn't look too promising right now. Sure I'll be able to get through it eventually, but I hate wasting all this time and not even really getting anything accomplished :/

Just looking after myself seems like a colossal task right now, but I guess I just have to accept that the path to recovery can be long and arduous.

This role as a tester has been far more stressful for me than it should have been, but I also think that having a relatively small task to focus my energies on is helping me.

Old Post 07-08-10 21:01 #
justanotherfool is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

That's my problem too, I get depressed about my own existence pretty much every semester and i drop classes. Ive gotten to the point where I am no longer allowed financial aid of any sort, but depression is taking such a toll on my PHYSICAL health...in the form of ulcers on an already messed up stomach. As such I have to stay in school, paying from my pocket to keep health insurance because of my ulcers, caused by anxiety/depression. On top of that, if I don't get my degree I condemn myself to a lifetime of mediocrity, the greatest fear I have had for my entire life. It got tough at times...I even decided to get a pet just to ensure I had something to live for at one point. Best thing I had ever done for myself, bar nothing. I spent over a decade on differing medications (ranging in levels of effectiveness varying between useless and hazardously detrimental) before giving up on all of them when I went to college, but I hadn't been that happy since I could remember after I got my pet. It really works wonders.

On topic though: I really do enjoy the map, are difficulties implemented now?

Old Post 07-13-10 16:11 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Joshy
Forum Regular

I hope you're doing well too mate; I can imagine ulcers not being convenient. Funny thing is I felt I was alone with this depression but it is truly a prevalent thing, which is quite unfortunate. Instead of a pet, I had a girl instead whom I first fallen in love with, who ended up messing around with my head when my feelings for her was so over dangerously attached, like it was a drug, I needed that feeling so badly to justify my purpose of living, like it was the only way out. Took me a year to recover (some part of me still hasn't gone over it yet with loads of resentments). All I can say is she was a superficial bitch (you can check out map 27 of SoD as this was happening during then, heh). University and doom has been goals for me to achieve. Like completing a megawad project (speed of doom naturally helped with this recovery a little) or finishing a degree so I didn't perceive myself as mediocre (first semester done with one distinction, so far, so good). My pride is my strength and weakness. I never took medicines but alcohol would count as one for me :P. It is a friend (and enemy) for me from time to time.. It's doing good for me right now. Yay for cider and music.

Anyway, yeah, changes of the maps have been made, difficulties have been implemented. I'd be happy to send you the latest of Map20 and 30 as well as the Grotto map if you're happy to send back some feedback. :P Let me know if you're up for it. :-)

Old Post 07-13-10 16:35 #
TheMionicDonut

See that's why I got a pet and not a girl. Pets dont mess with your head...well cats might, but that's why I didnt get a pet cat. Id probably do more doom stuff but my family is constantly breathing down my neck saying I need to do something with my life other than doom, (the reason being, I'm not kidding here, that I don't make enough money to be allowed a hobby) while turning around and being A-OKAY with other family members hanging around with friends every night until 3 AM. (Why yes, they are the ones greatly responsible for my depression currently anyway, it was definitely my peers mostly in school, but they didn't help much at all, they just tried to fix everything with pills)

But anyway, Id be interested in seeing dem maps.

Old Post 07-14-10 00:16 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
justanotherfool

Just had a look at the latest version of the map, and there's virtually nothing to complain about. Nevertheless, I shall endeavour to try :P.

- My only nitpicks were regarding ammo and health, really. I felt there were too many soulspheres in the map (seemed like 3-5?) given its size, and I had a lot of rockets and cells to burn at the end once I'd killed everything. These are minor points, since the level is by no means too easy. I'd just prefer to see a few more medkits and fewer soulspheres, and maybe a megasphere at some points where you currently have soulsphere + megaarmour.

- I still think you should add some steps to the lava pool with the revenants. Falling in still almost guarantees death since you have to wait for the platforms to raise.

Apart from that, perfect. Glad you decided to make those platforms more static, and that you decided to change a few textures that I recommended. Looks better now.

Old Post 07-26-10 18:42 #