Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 - - Untitled

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:53. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nameless
Mini-Member

EDIT: 07-20-10 at 20:48 This map is officially dead and I am working on a MUCH better map than this. See the Edit in my last post. More to follow...

==========
You just knew it had to be snow in Hell...

Three very-much-work-in-progress-screens of the map I am working on:

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/9112/doom0013.png
The arena(at the start). Very moody.... very dark. Yup, glitch in the lightning-texture. Sorry about that, my computer is so sucky that it is visible in the picture.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6527/doom0014.png
Somekind of high-tec display. Same as above: glitch in the lightning-texture because of my computer. Sorry about that.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5585/doom0012.png
An switch and a man-made window in a cave.

INFO:
============
For my first published map, I tried to go for an unusual mix(atleast I hope so): Snowy caves mixed with concrete and other decayed stuff in a dark and moody lightning.
============

============
About 60-65% done(I have NO idea how some of you guys can be so precise.)
============

IMPORTANT! IMPORTANT! IMPORTANT!
Finally, I would like to know what you people behind modern screens think about the lightning? Too dark or too bright? Myself, I have an very old CTF-screen with an gamma that still makes the screen dark even when maxed.

Also,
The Green Herring: I dunno if you missed it, but I changed a few things in the sign-up form due to my request of a username-change.

Hello,

==================
Episode: Very late 2, or 3 (no specific episode 3 slot)
Title: undecided
Filename: CC4_nls.wad
Texture Code: N/A
MIDI: undecided
Name to be Credited Under: Nameless
==================

Last edited by Nameless on 07-20-10 at 21:13

Old Post 07-19-10 19:27 #
Nameless is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
darkreaver

The first two shots made me think of some abandoned research station (in the arctic/antarctic maybe). Moody, cold and gloomy. The third one though...not so much cus of the couple of hell textures

Old Post 07-19-10 23:05 #
darkreaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
lupinx-Kassman

Doesn't looks so bad for a first attempt...but to be honest I think it seems a bit blocky and flat at the moment (lots of 90 degree angles going on here). I don't really agree with the texture usage either.

Screen #1 -Vertical support textures like SUPP616A don't tile that well horizontally (looking at the outline of those ceiling lights), so I would suggest using something else that is meant for step-like textures like SUPP316B or a similarly sized texture. Speaking of the lights, it doesn't look like the flats tile correctly (the lights seem to be cut off). An easy solution to this would be to either widen the sector enough so that they do tile correctly, or better yet replace the lights with a flat that does not look as repetitive as a long ceiling light (like TLITE65W).

Screen #2 -That computer texture is better suited for small computer panels, instead of one long one. Instead I would suggest using a texture like COMPSTA1 or COMPSTA2.

Screen #3 -That SUPP908A doesn't look very nice when used on a large section of wall, and is better suited for 8 or 16 pixel wide rims to accompany other textures. Instead I would suggest something that blends more smoothly like METAL (or better yet, some sort of lighter texture that would complement the theme you are going for).

I like the idea of using cement textures thought out the map with the more snowy textures, that was a good idea for a theme =). For this reason I think you should concentrate on using more of those tech-like textures than the hellish ones, unless you can find a way to make it blend seamlessly.

Last edited by lupinx-Kassman on 07-20-10 at 03:47

Old Post 07-20-10 03:38 #
lupinx-Kassman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nameless
Mini-Member

Thanks for the input, I'll try to implent it!

What about the lightning?(lupinix, darkreaver?) Is it too dark or to bright? I really need to know.
I know from experience that what is dark on my screen is rather bright on the screens of rest of the world.

================
Some stats:
1124 vertices
1308 lindefs
1891 sidedefs

Old Post 07-20-10 09:19 #
Nameless is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nuxius
Forum Regular

hawkeye said:
Is it too dark or to bright? I really need to know.

Your gamma setting is so bright it's hard (i.e. almost impossible) to tell.

Old Post 07-20-10 10:02 #
Nuxius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nameless
Mini-Member

Heh, there's the catch I've been talking about. Can't se shit on my old CRT-screen if I don't have it set that high.
But I'll try to lower it before the screenshots, either way.

Also those screenshots are outdated. Wait until tonight and I'll show you what I've changed.
Thanks for all the input, everyone. You all keep me motivated to continue the map!

EDIT:
I would like to inform you all that I have stopped working on this map because it dragged on.

The new map I am working on will be everything this map ain't: More condesed, almost nonlinear, more fun and more slaughter-feast.

Thank you.

Last edited by Nameless on 07-20-10 at 20:48

Old Post 07-20-10 10:49 #
Nameless
Mini-Member

Some update to show you that I am not dead as of yet. Map's comming along nicely.

Big chance that it won't be finnished before the August the first because I have currently drained my "creative-juice™©".

No screens though. Maybe soon, but not now.

Old Post 07-27-10 08:55 #