Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 Map - Unholy Castle *update*

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:09. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
C30N9

Hey

Today I started a map, from the name it is known that the GSTONE texture will be used a lot. Length is fine. I need feedback for detailing.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3029/unholy1.png
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5749/unholy2.png

I can't work on this map right now, cuz i'm busy in other projects and i'm losing interest in this. This thread can be deleted or go to post hell.

Last edited by C30N9 on 01-02-11 at 19:15

Old Post 01-01-11 17:51 #
C30N9 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Processingcontrol

I don't like GSTONE, mostly because it was overused in many levels from Inferno. The textures on the ceiling in the second shot are mis aligned.

Old Post 01-02-11 01:35 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

No texture looks like a castle like GSTONE.

Old Post 01-02-11 05:43 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RjY
anARCHy

Hmm, another map made out of a bunch of completely disjoint sections... Well, maybe it isn't, but from the shot of a room with six teleporters, one obviously for each key, it is very likely that's what you are planning.

May I suggest you allow at least some interconnection between the sections, so the map does not end up feeling like six other maps copypasted for no reason into the same grid?

Old Post 01-02-11 08:33 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

Let's have a look at this.

1 : What do you think will happen when you open the door ?
Visually, it's as if the door would somehow 'sink' into the sky. It's a bad 1994 mistake, and even for Doom it doesn't look realistic.
Try to raise that wall by at least the door's height :)

2 : Those parts look copy-pasted. You should rework their texture alignment.

Those are early shots so I guess there's not much to say for now.
You said you started the map yesterday, well, my advice would be to take your time. Yeah, the project is late, but it's not a valid reason to rush things and produce 3 maps a week :)
As I said, take some time to draw an interesting layout on paper, think about the monster placement, traps, secrets, speedrun shortcuts, etc.. Try to visualize the whole map in your head even before opening Doom Builder.
It will help you a lot ;)

Old Post 01-02-11 10:36 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
C30N9

RjY, you don't understand, the left telepads teleport you to the switches at the start, these switches have something special plus there will be a door behind the switch, and the right telepads doesn't teleport you into 3 alone areas, first the blue one teleports you into sevearal blue locked doors, when you get the blue one, remember the switches? the blue one opens the doors, behind every door there is a telepad, each telepad teleports you in a place but in the same arena, if you don't get it, this idea is inspired by Limbo E3M7.

However i like this idea a lot, but the detailing would be very ugly! Hmmmm... Actually i don't think this gonna work, so i'll rebuild the map with castle and wood textures, because there is more areas you didn't see with an disappointing detailing plus i lost interest in it.

Old Post 01-02-11 11:40 #
C30N9 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RjY
anARCHy

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
1 : What do you think will happen when you open the door ?
Visually, it's as if the door would somehow 'sink' into the sky. It's a bad 1994 mistake, and even for Doom it doesn't look realistic.
Try to raise that wall by at least the door's height :)
I'm afraid I must disagree. I wouldn't even have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. Modern mapping is way too sanitised in this way that everything has to make sense. Only thing I'd say about the shot is it needs better lighting (i.e. not be all one light level.)

C30N9 posted:
RjY, you don't understand, the left telepads teleport you to the switches at the start, these switches have something special plus there will be a door behind the switch, and the right telepads doesn't teleport you into 3 alone areas, first the blue one teleports you into sevearal blue locked doors, when you get the blue one, remember the switches? the blue one opens the doors, behind every door there is a telepad, each telepad teleports you in a place but in the same arena, if you don't get it, this idea is inspired by Limbo E3M7.
Okay fair enough, I made an assumption based on having seen lots of other maps but it was incorrect in this case. You seem to know what you're doing, so carry on.

Old Post 01-02-11 13:00 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

RjY said:
Modern mapping is way too sanitised in this way that everything has to make sense.

Good point. Hopefully the days of abstract maps aren't long gone.

Old Post 01-02-11 18:00 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
stewboy

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
Visually, it's as if the door would somehow 'sink' into the sky.[/B]

Maybe it's a roller door :)

Old Post 01-05-11 21:25 #
stewboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote