Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 map 13 - Cliffside Compound
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:21. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
C30N9

Been looking to the 10 screens above:

Screen 1: Remove the hanging body, it doesn't fit the room.

Screen 2: Looks nice but the the ASHWALL behind looks ugly.

Screen 6: Change the ceiling texture.

Others are good.

Old Post 03-20-11 18:16 #
C30N9 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purpleyoshi13

Screenshot:

NOTE: the screenshots are updated version of the old one (they will inherit the old names for easy search purposes)

Screen 1 new version:

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/3939/screenshotdoom201103201.png

Screen 2 new version (Normal Light Version):

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3939/screenshotdoom201103201.png

Screen 2 new version (IDBEHOLDL/255 light Version):

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/3939/screenshotdoom201103201.png

Screen 6 new version:

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/3939/screenshotdoom201103201.png

Screen 10 new version (just a color change version):

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3939/screenshotdoom201103201.png

some new screenshots.

Old Post 03-20-11 19:31 #
purpleyoshi13 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Christoph

Screen 1 still looks like it needs more consistency and more realistic lighting, and maybe some ceiling detail / non-flatness.

For the most part, I like Screen 2 new version (IDBEHOLDL/255 light Version) - especially that it has some tasteful ceiling variation.

I'm not sure I like screen6 - the door is a bit creative, but also seems a bit wonky. The whole room could also use some decorative details.

Screen 10 looks much better than the previous ones, though I suggest some detail for the outer sides of the floor - maybe have the (inner) blue floor 8 lower, or with a raised border around the wall.

And as a general rule, be aware that having multiple types of monsters (especially hitscanners) in the same area tends to lead to infighting, which drastically changes the gameplay.

Old Post 03-20-11 20:12 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
C30N9

Yeah Screen 1 looks randomly textured, you need to focus on one texture such as the SILVER(s).

I like Screen 2, the terrain is nice.

Screen 6, the door is weird, and yeah for detailing, add light sources or a yellow candle on the door sides. I suggest at the sides adding a thin ceiling that has computers or faces.

Screen 10 got better.

Old Post 03-21-11 20:00 #
C30N9 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Processingcontrol

Screen one still looks very box-like and those small pillars look strange. What the heck is up with that entrance teleporter? It's way too dark, and shouldn't really be there (This isn't "Plutionia Community Project").

Screen 2 is by far the best of the shots, and it's the only one that doesn't look like something out of 1994. The texturing is still pretty crazy, though.

Screen 6 still looks extremely 1994ish. Other than than the light poles there's no height variation or detail. The door also looks way too crazy.

I like the textureing in screen 10, but there's also not hirght variation or detail.

Old Post 03-22-11 01:26 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purpleyoshi13

The map size picture has been Updated!!!

As a bonus: http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/9476/screenshotdoom201103241.png

Last edited by purpleyoshi13 on 03-24-11 at 18:25

Old Post 03-24-11 18:05 #
purpleyoshi13 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
C30N9

The new map layout is better, because it is now connected. This screenshot is nice but the ice step textures looks weird, change them to the hexagon metal texture to match the floor.

Old Post 03-24-11 20:58 #
purpleyoshi13

C30N9 said:
This screenshot is nice but the ice step textures looks weird, change them to the hexagon metal texture to match the floor.

to be honest, it's a WIP area. i will add snow around the edges so that's why there's the snow step texture there.

Last edited by purpleyoshi13 on 03-30-11 at 15:53

Old Post 03-30-11 15:41 #
purpleyoshi13

been awhile since my last post.

I am still working on this map and I have got some real good idea's in the room in Screen 10. so the major update is that area, and the snow area.

Edit: How does friction work? cause i can't get it to work.
I have a linedef which is 512 units long and gave him the action of friction tagged him and tagged the sector that needs to have the friction. what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by purpleyoshi13 on 05-09-11 at 20:53

Old Post 05-09-11 19:51 #
Mithran Denizen

You probably forgot to set the sector to use the generalized friction bit. Doom Builder should let you do so through through the 'generalized' sector effects tab, or you could just set the sector's special to '256', if you don't need the sector to have other functionality (like blinking lights, damage, or secret count).

And I'm not exactly sure, but 512 is probably seriously overkill for an icy surface. If I recall right, the ice in my CC4 map uses something between 120-200.

Last edited by Mithran Denizen on 05-09-11 at 23:11

Old Post 05-09-11 23:04 #
Mithran Denizen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purpleyoshi13

Mithran Denizen said:
You probably forgot to set the sector to use the generalized friction bit. Doom Builder should let you do so through through the 'generalized' sector effects tab, or you could just set the sector's special to '256', if you don't need the sector to have other functionality (like blinking lights, damage, or secret count).

And I'm not exactly sure, but 512 is probably seriously overkill for an icy surface. If I recall right, the ice in my CC4 map uses something between 120-200.

Thanks! I never knew I also had to give the sector an effect.

Also, I'll change the length of the Linedef, 512 is long indeed.

Old Post 05-10-11 07:30 #
TheStiCat
Green Marine

Amazing shots! **

Old Post 05-13-11 00:32 #
TheStiCat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purpleyoshi13

TheStiCat said:
Amazing shots! **

Thanks Man! really appreciate it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I put friction back to 160, made major changes to some rooms, added the usage of a yellow (key)card with trap, the Exit room also features some traps now. the snow area has it's second building now.
I will post screenshots if I have time next week, otherwise it will be somewhere in JUNE.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Fun Fact: if I am playing thru this level on ITYTD and just having
50 bullets, I always get a time that is above 15:00. (minutes).
but it is 100% kills, Items & Secrets.

Old Post 05-13-11 07:38 #
TheStiCat
Green Marine

purpleyoshi13 said:

Thanks Man! really appreciate it.

You're welcome! Is the level done yet?

Old Post 05-14-11 21:00 #
TheStiCat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purpleyoshi13

TheStiCat said:

You're welcome! Is the level done yet?

no, unfortunately not. I'm still working on a few things.
but progress is coming along pretty well.

Old Post 05-16-11 11:33 #
TheStiCat
Green Marine

purpleyoshi13 said:

no, unfortunately not. I'm still working on a few things.
but progress is coming along pretty well.

Oh, cool. xP

Old Post 05-19-11 22:45 #
purpleyoshi13

More Screens,

Names are to show changes.

Screen 1: http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3475/screenshotdoom201107062.png

Screen 6: http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3475/screenshotdoom201107062.png

Screen 10: http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/4955/screenshotdoom201107070.png

Screen 11: http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3475/screenshotdoom201107062.png

Screen 12: http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/4955/screenshotdoom201107070.png

as you may have noticed, Screens 11 and 12 are brand-new areas.

Screen 11 shows the inside of a small building, while Screen 12 shows a peculiar ship seen through red glass...

Old Post 07-06-11 23:10 #
Pottus
Forum Regular

I think you have too much rainbow effect in some of the screens, that doesn't particularly bother me but I know other people will probably not like it so much. Perhaps try and scale back on color variations in specific areas and piece together different texture colored themes with good texture transition between areas. Also some areas look under detailed like the exit maybe you just have not gotten to that yet.

Old Post 07-06-11 23:28 #
Pottus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purpleyoshi13

Pottus said:
Also some areas look under detailed like the exit maybe you just have not gotten to that yet.

correct, the exit room isn't 100% finished, as i need to put in more height variations.

and screen 6 has height variation but made that after i took the picture.

For now I am going to sleep and start working on this around 16:30.

Old Post 07-06-11 23:43 #
Processingcontrol

It looks like the level uses too many texture themes, and the screenshots make them seem like a bunch of random rooms.

I think it would help to use similar colors and textures throughout the level, and make the rooms flow together.

Old Post 07-09-11 18:15 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Katamori
Forum Staple

Processingcontrol said:
It looks like the level uses too many texture themes

That's not a problem. I also used a lot of texture themes.

Old Post 07-09-11 20:02 #
Katamori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

It looks ugly.

Old Post 07-09-11 20:46 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
C30N9

Screen 1 looks awkward. I suggest change the colored lights in silver to one color. Also, those metal tables are not good IMO. And to the left I don't think it matches the normal silver.

Screen 6 is fine, but add some detail there and it should be good ;).

Screen 10 looks good, but the only bad things here is the colored ceiling and pink floor, why not change both to blue?

Screen 11 looks cool. But I suggest change the blue stripped textures into red or Vice-Versa. And also change the upper texture that looks like FLAT20 to the same as the lower. Otherwise the detail is good.

Screen 12, the ship needs more detail, add for example rockets, engines etc...

Keep going!

Old Post 07-09-11 21:22 #
Joshy

Katamori said:

That's not a problem. I also used a lot of texture themes.

I think the problem here is more of layout structure. All I'm seeing is small square-ish rooms with no thematic coherence whatsoever. A map with plenty of thematic differences can definitely work, but it needs a good layout with good flow to start with.

Anyway, I'd suggest you to not worry about the detailing at all, work more on the layout and architecture. Give it a lot of height variety, especially in one room. Make more ledges and alcoves, anything to make a room more interesting. Give it a proper theme to start with and make sure the textures are mostly aligned so it looks believable. If you can make it colourful while still making it believable and such, then it works. When you think you have all this right, detailing follows and finalise finishing touches. Keep it up! :-)

Old Post 07-10-11 02:18 #
Joshy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
lupinx-Kassman

Colorful maps are nice only if they are also consistent. Right now there doesn't seem to be any coherent theme and it looks too much like a mish-mash. Also screen 11 either has a particularly bad alignment, or a piece of structure jutting out in a very odd way. I would at least recommend smoothing that out.

Also as Joshy recommended, the layout could use some work. Most of the screenshots I have seen so far seems to be a square with random stuff thrown in. =P

Old Post 07-10-11 02:28 #
lupinx-Kassman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purpleyoshi13

Looking for someone to finish this map.

Reason: Family Member Died, and I feel depressed, and can't find any means to work on it ATM.

If you want to take over this map (retexturing, adding new locations)

send me a PM and I'll send the map right away and the used resources
(removal of a current location is to be discussed first!)

(note: Switches aren't working for some odd reason..)

Old Post 07-12-11 17:25 #
Katamori
Forum Staple

Oh, that's so sad :( my condolences!

Old Post 07-12-11 17:48 #
Katamori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
C30N9

I'm sorry purpleyoshi13. That's so sad.

Old Post 07-12-11 18:28 #
purpleyoshi13

thanks for the kind support Katamori and C30N9.

Old Post 07-12-11 21:07 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

My condolences.

Could I take a look at it?

Old Post 07-12-11 21:09 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote