Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4-MAP2#: Seven Faces (Planning)

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:28. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Phobus
Forum Staple

Statistics:
Hours Spent Working: 0
Vertices: 0
Linedefs: 0
Sidedefs: 0
Sectors: 0
Things: 0
Secrets: 0
Monsters on Hard: 0
Monsters on Medium: 0
Monsters on Easy: 0
No Monsters Speed Run Time: N/A
UV Speed Run Time With Monsters: N/A
UV Max Run (all kills, all secrets): N/A
Music: Castle - "Krook's March" by Andreas and Savas Oulassoglo (MIDI of Donkey Kong Country 2 Castle music) downloaded from vgmusic.com.

Hello again - this will be the development thread for Seven Faces. I'm aiming for the mid-to-late MAP2# slots with this map. I'm getting the thread in and laying down my plans whilst I have them organised in my head. I'll update the thread with screenshots when I've started working and gotten something to actually show. I should be starting work in about a week from this post, as I've got some university work to handle first, small updates to make to my other two CC4 entries, and a map to finish for the 1994 Tune Up Challenge.

The Plan:

I'm intending to make a large hell-themed map where the player starts in a room with 7 faces, and 7 obstacles blocking a key to a door which is immediately visible in the room.

Central to the map will be a large arena, which must be opened remotely from behind the locked door. The exit, which will be a grand portal-esque structure, will be in this room, as will a rather heavy final battle.

The rest of the map will be 7 different challenges. Completing each will hide the relevent face and open up one of the obstacles blocking the key. The 7 challenges can be tackled in any order, and a good player will be able to stock up before choosing to take on any of them.

Progression-wise, the player will have a Rocket Launcher and Chainsaw easily accessible at the start of the map, and be able to get the chaingun and shotgun from enemies. The SSG and Plasma Rifle will be accessible, but optional without needing to enter any of the challenges. Berserk and BFG will be in secrets.

As is often the case with my maps, this one will have a few thematically obvious sections, which should help the player find hsi way around and provide some visual interest too. I'm aiming for something big, so this one may take longer than my other two maps for this project.

Old Post 03-11-11 11:22 #
Phobus is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
C30N9

So your map will be like a key hunt, in other words your map won't be linear and the player will get the all of the keys with choosing which one he should takes in order, to open a final door. I like it, I had an idea to make a map like this if I had the ability to complete 2 maps but looks like someone will do. I think this map will look like MAP05 from CC3. Keep it up!

Old Post 03-11-11 13:27 #
C30N9 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Probably more similar to my own MAP18 from CC3, but in essence, yes it will be an objective hunt of sorts.

Old Post 03-11-11 14:13 #
Phobus is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Wow, it's been a while. Still no progress I'm afraid. I'm currently snowed under with my university work. As that all ends in 2 months or so, I can safely say I'll have the time to work on this then.

However, don't bother waiting about for me. We seem to be getting a lot of progress at the moment, so if we fill out the map quota and get a release, I'll either not bother making the map, or just do it as a solo release. I'm more looking forwards to seeing this megawad out there than I am interested in getting another map done :P

Old Post 03-30-11 15:45 #
Processingcontrol

Yeah, I think you have to hurry if you want to get this map in. Of the 10 "E3" slots, six are already taken, and me and the Ultimate DooMer are both in playtesting, meaning that they're only two hell slots left. lupinx-Kassman and darkreaver are both in the middle of their maps, but I guess Lupinx-Kassman's one would also work in the 1x slots.

Old Post 03-30-11 21:03 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheStiCat
Green Marine

Which hell slots are open?

Old Post 05-22-11 22:02 #
TheStiCat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mithran Denizen

See this thread for info on the CC4 map statuses.

Old Post 05-22-11 22:25 #
Mithran Denizen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheStiCat
Green Marine

Ok. Thanks **

Old Post 05-22-11 22:28 #
TheStiCat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Saw this thread had been bumped and got a brief pang of guilt at the thought of people telling me to get on with mapping. Fortunately that's not the case! Which is good, as I'm still a few days off being free.

Old Post 05-23-11 01:04 #