Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 MAP05: The Falls of Doom
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:33. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Processingcontrol

I've been working on this since I finished the beta of my other map, and have had enough time to finish the layout and gameplay. I still have a lot of detailing to do, but I think I'll be able to get this done before all the spots get filled up (It'll sure be hard because of the rapid pace people have been taking with their maps :p)

Here are some screenshots, keep in mind that I still have a lot of detailing to do:

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4697/screenshotdoom201104191.png
The starting area

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4697/screenshotdoom201104191.png
If you look behind that silver bar (duct?) you can see...
...CRATES!!!

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4697/screenshotdoom201104191.png
Some gigantic illogically designed hallway

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/4697/screenshotdoom201104191.png
Wouldn't this make a great waterpark?

Last edited by Processingcontrol on 06-28-11 at 03:45

Old Post 04-19-11 20:59 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Looks good to me already..

But then again my maps are more gameplay oriented then detail anyways..So feel free to ingnore my opnion.

Old Post 04-19-11 22:22 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Snakes

The first shot's height proportions look awkward. The ceiling in specific feels a bit... off. Last shot's good.

Also, the shots as though you're testing with a port like zDoom or Skulltag... Just to avoid in potential headaches, I'd really recommend using prBoom+ for this.

Old Post 04-20-11 01:43 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Processingcontrol

Wish I could, but prBoom and derivatives are really bright on my computer for some reason.

Old Post 04-20-11 02:21 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mithran Denizen

That's probably because they ship with the gamma setting turned up for some reason. You might try setting it back to 1.0 with the F11(?) key. I think their menus also have a seperate gamma setting for taking screenshots, so you might want to check that, too.

Old Post 04-20-11 02:30 #
Mithran Denizen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
darkreaver

PrBoom should have brightness and contrast settings.

But anyway; have you done any lighting at all yet? Looks really really boring light-wise.

Textures are a bit boring too, but thats more of a personal taste ;)

Looks good architecturally.

Old Post 04-21-11 12:33 #
darkreaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

Layout and architecture looks decent so far... but I really don't like the texturing, I can't put my finger on it but the texturing doesn't blend in nicely with itself, it looks like your using custom textures just for the sake of using custom textures. But that might just be me.

Old Post 04-21-11 12:46 #
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Processingcontrol

Mithran Denizen said:
I think their menus also have a seperate gamma setting for taking screenshots, so you might want to check that, too.

darkreaver said:
PrBoom should have brightness and contrast settings.

I've searched all the menus for something like that. Maybe I'm being a dumbass and missing something?

Old Post 04-21-11 15:15 #
darkreaver

It might just be my limited english skills, but what I meant was that PrBoom doesnt have it, but it really should ;P

Old Post 04-21-11 16:04 #
darkreaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

Press the F11 key until it looks right.

Old Post 04-21-11 18:20 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mithran Denizen

Mithran Denizen said:
I think their menus also have a seperate gamma setting for taking screenshots, so you might want to check that, too.

Disregard that, I was thinking of Eternity.

But yeah, you probably just need to turn the gamma correction off.

Old Post 04-21-11 20:53 #
Mithran Denizen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Processingcontrol

Here's one more shot:
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3425/doom00.png

I think you might recognize this as one of the areas in the other pics, but now with DETAIL!!!!

Old Post 05-17-11 03:09 #
Christoph

I agree that this is looking decent and showing a lot of potential but that a lot of the textures/details need a little improvement or consistency. I can't complain much about the last shot though!

Old Post 05-19-11 02:41 #
Christoph is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheStiCat
Green Marine

That level looks really cool! **

Old Post 05-19-11 22:43 #
TheStiCat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Snakes

Those red panels have to go... They clash horribly with the green/brown/gray scheme present.

Old Post 05-20-11 00:44 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheStiCat
Green Marine

Snakes said:
Those red panels have to go... They clash horribly with the green/brown/gray scheme present.

I don't mind them.

Old Post 05-20-11 00:50 #
TheStiCat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Processingcontrol

Snakes said:

I actually think their one of the better looking parts of the shot, but I'm partially colorblind so you probably have a better idea of how good it looks than me.

Old Post 05-20-11 00:58 #
Snakes

Yeah, I just think the red teklite recolors are pretty hideous looking to begin with. Architecturally, it looks quite nice.

Old Post 05-20-11 01:22 #
Processingcontrol

Is this better?:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1571/doom01.png

Also, thanks for the recent comments! :)

Old Post 05-20-11 02:28 #
Mithran Denizen

Yeah, that's much nicer. The green works great there, I think.

Old Post 05-20-11 06:02 #
Pottus
Forum Regular

Add a 4x4 trim around those bricks in the first screen shot so you don't have 1/4 brick texture cut-off, other than that it's nice to see your cool map style.

Old Post 05-23-11 08:36 #
Pottus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Processingcontrol

More shots:

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1774/doom08.png
Some neat little 3D effect.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/385/doom09.png
Lookin out the window.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/5351/doom10.png
The yellow key.

Old Post 06-20-11 02:06 #
Olympus

Hey, the 3D effect in shot 1 looks cool- no clue how to do that. But anyway, shots look good, except maybe add some light variation; you'll probably do that last though anyway.

Old Post 06-20-11 02:14 #
Olympus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

What's the technique for the 3D wall detail? I don't believe I've seen that done in Boom before, not with a visible flat like that.

edit: Wait, I think I might know what it is now. I remember trying it and finding it absolutely impossible to wrap my head around well enough to make it work. <_>

Last edited by esselfortium on 06-20-11 at 02:53

Old Post 06-20-11 02:39 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Processingcontrol

Here's a demo of the effect: http://www.mediafire.com/?6dsjcf2h1ysdl03

This is used in the first map of PHOBOS, where I learned it.

Old Post 06-20-11 04:55 #
Katamori
Forum Staple

Your level gameplay looks very good, not as liner as my levels :(

It'll be a definitely great map!

Old Post 06-20-11 11:28 #
Katamori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hirogen2

Re "Looking out the window" - the fine-grained green ASHWALL texture you used for the far wall becomes quite a pixel pile when seen from a distance and looks more like a heap of green sand due to its white pixels. Since sand would not pile, I would only use it for lesser height differences, and conversely, for the heights you chose, pick ZIMMER1/2 instead, or if workable, a green-tinted variant of ASHWALL2/3.

Old Post 06-21-11 10:40 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Processingcontrol

Thanks for all the feedback!

Hirogen2 said:
Re "Looking out the window" - the fine-grained green ASHWALL texture you used for the far wall becomes quite a pixel pile when seen from a distance and looks more like a heap of green sand due to its white pixels. Since sand would not pile, I would only use it for lesser height differences, and conversely, for the heights you chose, pick ZIMMER1/2 instead, or if workable, a green-tinted variant of ASHWALL2/3.

None of the textures are ASHWALL, can you say where the problematic texture is located in the picture?

Old Post 06-22-11 03:41 #
Processingcontrol

I just ran into a problem:

I changed the music to a track from Duke Nukem 3D (Pissed Office Box.) Basically the track plays fine in PrBoom, but in zdoom it sounds all messed up. Anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

Old Post 06-24-11 02:45 #
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

From my own experience, alot of Duke midis get messed up in Zdoom and Skulltag. The one from DukeE2M1 also gets messed up.

Old Post 06-25-11 17:18 #
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote